2005-05-17 08:33:15

by Markus.Heininger

Subject: [Bluez-devel] HCI-Uart Driver & Kernel 2.4.25 , Headset/Handsfree Profile

Hello,

I?m trying to get the Handsfree/Headset-Profile running on an embedded
power pc-platform using the 2.4.25 kernel and a bluetooth module
which is connected to the host processor via UART-Interface.

The strange thing is that all other profiles work fine (OBEX, DUN etc.)
but when it comes to transfer synchronous data in both directions like the
handsfree profile does, I got an error message from
the kernel like "unkown HCI packet type 00 received".

Although there were no additional error messages from the kernel like
buffer overruns of the UART interface, the first thing I thought about
was that there might by something wrong with the hardware handshake of the
UART interface, but I managed to connect the bluetooth module
via RS232 to a normal PC running linux kernel 2.6 even without RTS and CTS
lines of the UART interface connected (only RXD & TXD).
Here everything works fine, so the problem is surely not caused by a
missing/buggy hardware handshake.

It would be a hard work to upgrade from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 on our platform
since we already applied many changes to the kernel (not concerning
bluez),
so my question is if someone of you did experience the same problems and
perhaps there is a way to patch the linux 2.4 kernel to solve them.

I already applied all available patches to bluez, but I?m afraid that the
problem originates on a different place in the linux 2.4 kernel, maybe
in the higher level - serial/tty drivers or in the communication between
them and the hci uart driver.

Perhaps someone of you can help me,

many thanks and with best regards,
Markus

2005-05-17 11:25:42

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Markus,

> I=B4m trying to get the Handsfree/Headset-Profile running on an embedde=
> power pc-platform using the 2.4.25 kernel and a bluetooth module=20
> which is connected to the host processor via UART-Interface. =20

first of all, about what kind of Bluetooth chip are we talking here?
What speed is the UART running?

> The strange thing is that all other profiles work fine (OBEX, DUN
> etc.)=20
> but when it comes to transfer synchronous data in both directions like
> the handsfree profile does, I got an error message from=20
> the kernel like "unkown HCI packet type 00 received".=20

The ACL link is protected by the HCI flow control and the SCO link is
not by default if I remember correctly.

> Although there were no additional error messages from the kernel like
> buffer overruns of the UART interface, the first thing I thought
> about =20
> was that there might by something wrong with the hardware handshake of
> the UART interface, but I managed to connect the bluetooth module =20
> via RS232 to a normal PC running linux kernel 2.6 even without RTS and
> CTS lines of the UART interface connected (only RXD & TXD). =20
> Here everything works fine, so the problem is surely not caused by a
> missing/buggy hardware handshake.=20

Don't mix 2.4 with 2.6 results on different hardware platforms. This
means nothing and the serial subsystem has been reworked within the 2.6
kernel series.

> It would be a hard work to upgrade from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 on our
> platform since we already applied many changes to the kernel (not
> concerning bluez),=20

You should really check if it is so hard to upgrade and if not all of
your applied patches are already merged into the 2.6 kernel. Sticking
with a 2.4 kernel is a bad idea. Even for the Bluetooth part, since I
stopped backporting things.

Regards

Marcel

by gao.yingbin

I have faced this problem when I debug my applications over bluez
kernel,on embedded OS. Everytimes I turned on the macro
"CONFIG_BLUEZ_DEBUG" to display the debug information and compiled, when
bluez was running ,and other device was connected to it, the following
erro appeared:
h4_recv: Unknown HCI packet type 05
h4_recv: Unknown HCI packet type 00
and the connection was failed. maybe try it again, the connection could
finish.

However, When I turned on the macro "CONFIG_BLUEZ_DEBUG", the connection
always finished very well, so I didn't mind the problem any more. I think
there are some little bugs in the HCI uart driver, which affect the
application of bluez on embedded linux OS.

信息安全声明:本邮件包含信息归ZTE所有,
ZTE对该邮件拥有所有权利。请接收者注意
保密,未经发件人书面许可,不得向任何第
三方组织和个人透露本邮件所含信息的全部
或部分。以上声明仅适用于工作邮件。
Information Security Notice:
The information contained in this mail is
solely property of ZTE Corporation.
This mail communication is confidential.
Recipients named above are obligated to
maintain secrecy and are not permitted to
disclose the contents of this communication
to others.