2003-12-12 08:23:16

by Anthony Yulo

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] multiple connections on rfcomM?

Hello..

i'd like to use C++, but are there any classes made already to encapsulate
bluetooth functions? none yet ryt? i'll have to do classes myself but then
again i'll still use C to do it...

aniwei, id like to low-level C more.. so its ok..

another question regarding this topic...
This is the set-up:
1st pda initiates connection to the desktop server.. and then remain
connected for a while.. My Question is would the desktop server still be
searchable/discoverable by other devices while its
connected to the 1st pda?

I tried to test this setup using WIDCOMM stack and used the API's in it...
First I launched the sample RFCOMM server program and then assigned an
SCN... and then i connected the 1st pda using device/service discovery
procedures...

Next I launched a new instance of that RFCOMM server program but this time
with a different SCN... when a 2nd pda tries to search for the server, it
doesn't find the server anymore..

>From: Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>
>To: Anthony Yulo <[email protected]>
>CC: BlueZ Mailing List <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] multiple connections on rfcomM?
>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:35:06 +0100
>
>Hi Anthony,
>
> > so this project is very easy to do huh!!?!:)
> > how do i multiplex?, do i use fork()? select()? :)
>
>use what you like. I would prefer some kind of event loop, because it
>makes your code simpler, but even forking or poll()/select() is fine.
>
> > hehe... sorry for the silly questions, just a newbie in bluez, in socket
> > programming?
> > my background in c is not very deep.. i'm more familiar with C++.. so
> > sorry..:)
>
>You can use C++ if you like. I don't like C++, so I would never use it.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Scott,

> I have been using BlueZ in a demo system and pretty much love the
> programming interface. The stack has done well to this point
> regarding performance and reliability and such, but we are now looking
> into building a production product. We are licensing QNX and my
> question is, before I spend much time researching, is it possible to
> pull the bluez stack components from the kernel source and compile it
> somehow as it's own entity? My thinking is that there is no way, but
> I am being prodded by my co-workers to at least inquire of how hard of
> a job this would be. Or is there another way to run bluez on QNX?

actually my knowledge of QNX is very limited, but I don't think that it
is an easy task to port BlueZ to QNX. The BlueZ interfaces up to L2CAP
are bound to the Linux kernel and its network stack. The RFCOMM, BNEP
and CMTP code depends only on the L2CAP socket interface, but they also
use the SKB's, task and thread support of the kernel. So I would say
that it is easier to write a new Bluetooth stack than porting it to
another OS. But as I also said my knowledge of QNX is limited - please
show me that I am wrong.

The part that is running in userspace like SDP, HCRP, HID etc. should be
easy reusable if the Bluetooth stack for QNX provides a socket interface
to L2CAP.

> I this does happen to be possible, I would like to take on the task of
> adding the A2DP profile and AVT protocol to bluez. So anyone who has
> worked on this or is currently working on this please let me know...

Even if a port to QNX is not possible I think it is a good idea to work
together in adding AVDTP support to BlueZ.

Regards

Marcel

by scott.meesseman

Hello,

I have been using BlueZ in a demo system and pretty much love the
programming interface. The stack has done well to this point regarding
performance and reliability and such, but we are now looking into building
a production product. We are licensing QNX and my question is, before I
spend much time researching, is it possible to pull the bluez stack
components from the kernel source and compile it somehow as it's own
entity? My thinking is that there is no way, but I am being prodded by my
co-workers to at least inquire of how hard of a job this would be. Or is
there another way to run bluez on QNX?

I this does happen to be possible, I would like to take on the task of
adding the A2DP profile and AVT protocol to bluez. So anyone who has
worked on this or is currently working on this please let me know...

Regards and thanks for your help as always,
Scott

2003-12-12 08:55:19

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Anthony,

> 1st pda initiates connection to the desktop server.. and then remain
> connected for a while.. My Question is would the desktop server still be
> searchable/discoverable by other devices while its
> connected to the 1st pda?

this depends on the Bluetooth chip you are using on your server. If it
is CSR based it must be HCI 16.x firmware or higher.

Regards

Marcel