2005-01-21 02:07:42

by Dave West

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluetooth hardware that is discoverable by default?

Hi there,

I have very simple requirements for a bluetooth
'beacon' that is discoverable, but nothing else (ie.
it responds to discovery requests, but you don't need
to connect to it or anything). At the moment I am
using a D-Link USB dongle where the USB powerlines are
soldered to an external power supply. This supplies
power to the beacon, but it still needs to connect to
a linux/bluez equipped laptop (with USB power
disconnected as it draws its power externally) to
bring up the device and make it discoverable.
Immediately disconnecting the bluez laptop you then
have a cheap standalone beacon as long as the power
remains.

I'm wondering is there any way to have a beacon like
this where you don't have to connect it to a laptop
after its been powered up to make it discoverable? My
searches on google and looking at the bluez code make
me think that normally a HCISETSCAN ioctl is sent to
the device with SCAN_INQUIRY|SCAN_PAGE option to make
it discoverable. My question is are there any dongles
out there that become discoverable immediately when
they are powered without having to send them a HCI
command? One of you who have written drivers for
these things might know....

Or if there aren't, can anyone suggest another way I
might go about making or designing a cheap self
powered bluetooth beacon that is discoverable on
powerup? I may want to manufacture these beacons in
some quantity later.

Thanks,
David

by Peter Wippich

Hi Dave,

all "standard" USB dongles behave this way. To get an idea why read the
standard documents ...

However, you can get a BT serial port adapter (more expensive than USB) or
you can modify the firmware of a standard dongle (you need a
development kit from the BT chip manufacturer for $$$$).

Ciao,
Peter

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Dave West wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have very simple requirements for a bluetooth
> 'beacon' that is discoverable, but nothing else (ie.
> it responds to discovery requests, but you don't need
> to connect to it or anything). At the moment I am
> using a D-Link USB dongle where the USB powerlines are
> soldered to an external power supply. This supplies
> power to the beacon, but it still needs to connect to
> a linux/bluez equipped laptop (with USB power
> disconnected as it draws its power externally) to
> bring up the device and make it discoverable.
> Immediately disconnecting the bluez laptop you then
> have a cheap standalone beacon as long as the power
> remains.
>
> I'm wondering is there any way to have a beacon like
> this where you don't have to connect it to a laptop
> after its been powered up to make it discoverable? My
> searches on google and looking at the bluez code make
> me think that normally a HCISETSCAN ioctl is sent to
> the device with SCAN_INQUIRY|SCAN_PAGE option to make
> it discoverable. My question is are there any dongles
> out there that become discoverable immediately when
> they are powered without having to send them a HCI
> command? One of you who have written drivers for
> these things might know....
>
> Or if there aren't, can anyone suggest another way I
> might go about making or designing a cheap self
> powered bluetooth beacon that is discoverable on
> powerup? I may want to manufacture these beacons in
> some quantity later.
>
> Thanks,
> David

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |