2005-02-25 21:38:41

by Michael B Allen

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Waking up a machine with bluetooth signal?

I just bought a mac mini w/ a bluetooth keyboard. I'd like to be able to ssh
into it from my laptop but when it's in sleep mode it doesn't respond over
the network. I can't use wake on lan because it's a wireless connection not
ethernet. I'm all the way across the other side of the room and I'm very
very lazy so I would like to use the bluetooth capability builtin to my
Thinkpad T30 to try to wake up the mac mini from across the room. Is this
possible?

Thanks,
Mike

--
IRC - where men are men, women are men, and the boys are FBI agents.

by Peter Wippich

Hi Mike,

yes, about the implementation on the Mac. Usually internal BT Adapters are
connected through an internal USB port. However, a normal USB port doesn't
have the capability to wakeup the machine. Some machines implement extra
signals for this purpose, but I don't know if it is done in the Mac . So
ask your favorite Apple engineer...

Ciao,

Peter

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Michael B Allen wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:13:36 +0100 (CET)
> Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > better ask the Apple developers if this is possible. It is not a matter of
> > the Bluetooth stack but of the hardware and driver implementation.
>
> About the implementation on the Mac? The machine from which I would
> be sending this "wakeup" signal is Linux 2.4 on an IBM T30 laptop w/
> builtin BT. I bought a logitect MX900 mouse for the Mac and it worked
> without installing any extra drivers or anything so there must be some
> level of standard communication. No?
>
> Mike
>
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Michael B Allen wrote:
> >
> > > I just bought a mac mini w/ a bluetooth keyboard. I'd like to be able to
> > > ssh into it from my laptop but when it's in sleep mode it doesn't
> > > respond over the network. I can't use wake on lan because it's a
> > > wireless connection not ethernet. I'm all the way across the other side
> > > of the room and I'm very very lazy so I would like to use the bluetooth
> > > capability builtin to my Thinkpad T30 to try to wake up the mac mini
> > > from across the room. Is this possible?
>
> --
> IRC - where men are men, women are men, and the boys are FBI agents.

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Michael B Allen

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:13:36 +0100 (CET)
Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:

> better ask the Apple developers if this is possible. It is not a matter of
> the Bluetooth stack but of the hardware and driver implementation.

About the implementation on the Mac? The machine from which I would
be sending this "wakeup" signal is Linux 2.4 on an IBM T30 laptop w/
builtin BT. I bought a logitect MX900 mouse for the Mac and it worked
without installing any extra drivers or anything so there must be some
level of standard communication. No?

Mike

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Michael B Allen wrote:
>
> > I just bought a mac mini w/ a bluetooth keyboard. I'd like to be able to
> > ssh into it from my laptop but when it's in sleep mode it doesn't
> > respond over the network. I can't use wake on lan because it's a
> > wireless connection not ethernet. I'm all the way across the other side
> > of the room and I'm very very lazy so I would like to use the bluetooth
> > capability builtin to my Thinkpad T30 to try to wake up the mac mini
> > from across the room. Is this possible?

--
IRC - where men are men, women are men, and the boys are FBI agents.

by Peter Wippich

Mike,