2005-04-12 18:30:35

by Brad Midgley

Subject: [Bluez-devel] first(?) bc4 module

Hey

socketcom is claiming their bc4 (class 1) module is shipping this month.
it's a good sign for eventually getting it in consumer gear.

if samples aren't too hard to come by, i'll try to wire one up to a
gumstix. (gumstix is sending me a sample)

brad

by Peter Wippich

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] first(?) bc4 module

Hi Marcel,

> you will really need a BlueCore4 with DSP for it, because otherwise you
> don't know what to do with all the data ;)

That's for sure ;-)

Regards,

Peter

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> > > Things again look very different if you use a BC04 with internal SCO
> > > routing (e.g. for a A2DP headset). But this is a diffrent story.
> >
> > The SCO stuff has nothing to do with A2DP, because this is ACL based.
>
> Of cause ! My mistake. However, even this ACL may be routed internaly on
> some future chips (maybe there will be something like a BC04MM........).
> I just wanted to point out that for special applications EDR can be
> usefull even if there is no fast Host to CHip connection. But such
> applications usually won't use BlueZ. So this is somehow unrelated here.

you will really need a BlueCore4 with DSP for it, because otherwise you
don't know what to do with all the data ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hi Marcel,

> > Things again look very different if you use a BC04 with internal SCO
> > routing (e.g. for a A2DP headset). But this is a diffrent story.
>
> The SCO stuff has nothing to do with A2DP, because this is ACL based.

Of cause ! My mistake. However, even this ACL may be routed internaly on
some future chips (maybe there will be something like a BC04MM........).
I just wanted to point out that for special applications EDR can be
usefull even if there is no fast Host to CHip connection. But such
applications usually won't use BlueZ. So this is somehow unrelated here.

Ciao,

Peter

> Regards
>
> Marcel

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> well, at least the 2 MBit mode should be usable over the UART interface.
> The BC04 UART supports 1.5 MBit, but this is "Full Duplex". So if you have
> bi-directioal data transfer that is 3 MBit total. For mostly
> uni-directional traffic even 1.5 MBit is a very good transfer rate over a
> 2 MBit air link because at best you can get around 1.5 MBit user data
> transferred. There is still some HCI overhead on the UART, but I think
> this is only around 1..2% and can be neglected for a first estimate.
>
> However, for a 3 MBit connection with mostly uni-directional traffic the
> UART interface is not sufficient anymore.

I leave it to the CSR guys to post a correct comment on these things,
but in general the UART interface is no longer what you want if you plan
to use EDR.

> Things again look very different if you use a BC04 with internal SCO
> routing (e.g. for a A2DP headset). But this is a diffrent story.

The SCO stuff has nothing to do with A2DP, because this is ACL based.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hi Brad, Hi Marcel,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> > It complicates things a lot for everyone if bc4 hardware has to be wired
> > in some way other than a uart to make good use of EDR.
>
> at the moment the only options are USB and the SDIO interfaces. Maybe
> they will also come up with a SPI, but actually I doubt it.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Brad,

> It complicates things a lot for everyone if bc4 hardware has to be wired
> in some way other than a uart to make good use of EDR.

at the moment the only options are USB and the SDIO interfaces. Maybe
they will also come up with a SPI, but actually I doubt it.

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Marcel,

Socket is not even answering email asking for sample *pricing* currently.

It complicates things a lot for everyone if bc4 hardware has to be wired
in some way other than a uart to make good use of EDR.

I want to wait to find something with AFH/EDR and class 1 together.
Taiyo yuden only has class 2 modules...

Brad

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>

>>socketcom is claiming their bc4 (class 1) module is shipping this month.
>>it's a good sign for eventually getting it in consumer gear.
>

> may you also wanna look at Taiyo Yuden, because according to the
> qualification listing they also have a BlueCore4 based module.
>

>>if samples aren't too hard to come by, i'll try to wire one up to a
>>gumstix. (gumstix is sending me a sample)
>

> Try to convince them to donate one to me, then I can try that out with
> attaching a Casira to it. However in general the UARTs are too slow for
> the EDR transfer rates.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann