2005-04-28 20:00:19

by Claudio Takahasi

Subject: [Bluez-devel] DBUS service support - Initial library

Hi Marcel,

I wrote the skeleton of the library. Please verify if I=20
am following the BlueZ principles.=20
At the moment, the code is not fully integrated=20
with BlueZ daemons and applications. Some functions=20
shall be changed due function outputs: the result=20
should be returned instead of displayed on the=20
screen.

It is only a initial draft. The idea is provide a=20
library to user mode application controls bluetooth=20
connections. Please validate my suggestions before=20
I start coding and verify if this library can be=20
useful for BlueZ community. I know that some features
of this library are provided by "pand", but I need
control connections from a user mode application=20
or DBUS application.

The code is available in the link below:
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~ckt/panz_lib.tar.gz

The following changes were done:
1. Makefile.am
added libpanz in the SUBDIR
2. configure.in
added libpanz/Makefile in the AC_OUTPUT
3. Added libpanz directory
the files are in libpanz.tar.gz file
4. Common hcitool functions
hcitool functions used by the library were moved
to hci_common.c
5. Dynamic Link Local Layer addresses
The automatic IP assignment will be based on the=20
following IETF draft=20
http://files.zeroconf.org/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal.txt

There are a lot of chalenges until I reach=20
my objective: integrate with a DBUS application.

Best regards,
Claudio.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> My application will provide a DBUS service and
> APIs to alows user mode applications interact
> with diferent types of Wireless/Wired connections.
> This is the reason to create a BlueZ library based
> on pand and hcitool functions. My application should
> the able to retrieve bluetooth device information,
> including establish connection, disconnect, link
> status, new devices/services, ...
> The DBUS service will not be provided at BlueZ level.
>
> The current DBUS message in the hcid is used to handle
> security/authentication issues. This message has a
> different proposal. Therefore, use the same macro
> "--enable-dbus" to enable/disable is not a good ideia.
>
> Another important information is: the user mode
> application doesn't need root privileges to create
> a bluetooth connection, because it will request using
> APIs and DBUS service.
>
> Can I create a library in the pand directory and
> reuse the common codes?
> I suggest a directive like "--enable-panz" because
> this library aims provide functions to hide connection
> details.

I think you get the whole idea of D-Bus wrong and this is not about the
current D-Bus support of hcid for the PIN helper.

As I said if you wanna control something from your application via D-Bus
then make sure there is a D-Bus enabled pand service is running. If you
wanna do it at another level, then I don't see any benefit from it. Why
should we create another library only to help your special D-Bus daemon
if it is not Bluetooth only. In that case you should simply duplicate
the code and integrate it into your daemon directly. There is no need to
make things more complicate.

For me the only thing that makes sense if you enhance the pand with
D-Bus support and then you use that D-Bus interface in your application.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

[...]

Do you agree?

Regards,
Claudio.

On 4/29/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > Let me try justify why I need a new library.
> > 1. A DBUS app should not contain specific bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPRS connecti=
on code.
> > In my opinion, it is better abstract the connection details.
> > 2. Features required by DBUS app: signal strength, connection establish=
ment,
> > disconnection, new device notification(search for service
> > frequently), automatic
> > IP assigment(with IP conflict resolution and IP announment),
> > device information,
> > active connections, security info, connection lost, ...
> > All these features should be provided by a BlueZ library. At the
> > moment, pand
> > and hcitool provide part of these. However, they are command line
> > application
> > and a DBUS app should use a workaround approach: "execv" function
> > 3. Consider an embedded device, control connections using a DBUS app
> > is the better way to this task. Execute a command line app is not
> > appropriated
> > to handle this context. An embedded app using wireless connection
> > should abstract connection establishment/control details.
> >
> > This is the scenario that I am working on, if I can't contribute
> > developing this library,
> > I will try move all these required features to DBUS app level without
> > add functions/library
> > to BlueZ.
>=20
> think about adding all you need to pand and then start it for example
> with a --dbus option to activate that service via D-Bus.
>=20
> When writing code use the BlueZ coding style. This means, use tabs. For
> the patches, create them with "cvs diff -u" from the BlueZ CVS and make
> sure that you executed "make maintainer-clean" first.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20

--=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> Let me try justify why I need a new library.
> 1. A DBUS app should not contain specific bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPRS connection code.
> In my opinion, it is better abstract the connection details.
> 2. Features required by DBUS app: signal strength, connection establishment,
> disconnection, new device notification(search for service
> frequently), automatic
> IP assigment(with IP conflict resolution and IP announment),
> device information,
> active connections, security info, connection lost, ...
> All these features should be provided by a BlueZ library. At the
> moment, pand
> and hcitool provide part of these. However, they are command line
> application
> and a DBUS app should use a workaround approach: "execv" function
> 3. Consider an embedded device, control connections using a DBUS app
> is the better way to this task. Execute a command line app is not
> appropriated
> to handle this context. An embedded app using wireless connection
> should abstract connection establishment/control details.
>
> This is the scenario that I am working on, if I can't contribute
> developing this library,
> I will try move all these required features to DBUS app level without
> add functions/library
> to BlueZ.

think about adding all you need to pand and then start it for example
with a --dbus option to activate that service via D-Bus.

When writing code use the BlueZ coding style. This means, use tabs. For
the patches, create them with "cvs diff -u" from the BlueZ CVS and make
sure that you executed "make maintainer-clean" first.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

Let me try justify why I need a new library.
1. A DBUS app should not contain specific bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPRS connection c=
ode.
In my opinion, it is better abstract the connection details.
2. Features required by DBUS app: signal strength, connection establishment=
,=20
disconnection, new device notification(search for service
frequently), automatic
IP assigment(with IP conflict resolution and IP announment),
device information,
active connections, security info, connection lost, ...
All these features should be provided by a BlueZ library. At the
moment, pand
and hcitool provide part of these. However, they are command line
application
and a DBUS app should use a workaround approach: "execv" function
3. Consider an embedded device, control connections using a DBUS app=20
is the better way to this task. Execute a command line app is not
appropriated
to handle this context. An embedded app using wireless connection
should abstract connection establishment/control details.

This is the scenario that I am working on, if I can't contribute
developing this library,
I will try move all these required features to DBUS app level without
add functions/library
to BlueZ.

What is your opinion about this?

Best regards,
Claudio.

On 4/29/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > I wrote the skeleton of the library. Please verify if I
> > am following the BlueZ principles.
> > At the moment, the code is not fully integrated
> > with BlueZ daemons and applications. Some functions
> > shall be changed due function outputs: the result
> > should be returned instead of displayed on the
> > screen.
> >
> > It is only a initial draft. The idea is provide a
> > library to user mode application controls bluetooth
> > connections. Please validate my suggestions before
> > I start coding and verify if this library can be
> > useful for BlueZ community. I know that some features
> > of this library are provided by "pand", but I need
> > control connections from a user mode application
> > or DBUS application.
>=20
> don't move anything around the utils directories. It is easier to do
> that later on when it is clear what to do. If you need some stuff that
> is not in the Bluetooth library duplicate the code for now.
>=20
> Since this is all about pand. Extend it with your functionality and put
> everything in the pand directory. I don't see any need for another
> library especially when you start talking about D-Bus integration.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> I wrote the skeleton of the library. Please verify if I
> am following the BlueZ principles.
> At the moment, the code is not fully integrated
> with BlueZ daemons and applications. Some functions
> shall be changed due function outputs: the result
> should be returned instead of displayed on the
> screen.
>
> It is only a initial draft. The idea is provide a
> library to user mode application controls bluetooth
> connections. Please validate my suggestions before
> I start coding and verify if this library can be
> useful for BlueZ community. I know that some features
> of this library are provided by "pand", but I need
> control connections from a user mode application
> or DBUS application.

don't move anything around the utils directories. It is easier to do
that later on when it is clear what to do. If you need some stuff that
is not in the Bluetooth library duplicate the code for now.

Since this is all about pand. Extend it with your functionality and put
everything in the pand directory. I don't see any need for another
library especially when you start talking about D-Bus integration.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> I am sending a new patch to be evaluated.
> Regarding glib dependency we need discuss this
> subject again. If you see the hcid code, there is a
> file (glib-ectomy.c) that implements the event
> processing, this code is a partial copy of glib.
>
> What do you prefer? Repeat the glib-ectomy.c code
> or use glib?

the glib-ectomy is only still there, because I was too lazy to replace
it with a clean main loop using poll() implementation.

> For Maemo, glib is not problem. It is included in
> the SDK.

This is not a valid argument. Creating a massive dependency chain is
always bad. Using Glib inside bluez-utils is no option.

> Regarding pthread I put two versions to be evaluated:
> 1. using pthread
> In my opinion because it save memory.
> http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/bluez-dbus-thread.diff
>
> 2. using fork
> In my opinion this is not a feasible approach
> because when listening is active two process
> will be running(a listening and another processing
> D-Bus messages).
> http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/bluez-dbus-fork.diff

Even without looking at the patches, I don't like any of it. I like to
see a nice main loop and then using poll(). We don't need threads or
forking out processes.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

I am sending a new patch to be evaluated.
Regarding glib dependency we need discuss this
subject again. If you see the hcid code, there is a
file (glib-ectomy.c) that implements the event
processing, this code is a partial copy of glib.

What do you prefer? Repeat the glib-ectomy.c code
or use glib?

For Maemo, glib is not problem. It is included in
the SDK.

Regarding pthread I put two versions to be evaluated:
1. using pthread
In my opinion because it save memory.
http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/bluez-dbus-thread.diff
=20
2. using fork
In my opinion this is not a feasible approach
because when listening is active two process=20

On 5/26/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > 1. Glib
> > I will fix it. I found another approach using dbus main loop function.
>=20
> perfect.
>=20
> > 2. libbridge
> > It should be removed. It is not being used at the momment. I will fix
> > the Makefile.am
> > But in the the future, I would suggest provide automatic bridge creatio=
n.
> > Using libbridge it's possible create bridge and add bnep interfaces.
>=20
> I am not against it, but I think we need to make it optional. Does it
> make sense to put that into pand or leave it in the client?
>=20
> > 3. Coding style
> > sorry, I try do my best. I am not familiar with linux kernel coding sty=
le.
>=20
> Maybe you wanna read the paper from Greg KH on the BlueZ page. We will
> sort that out later.
>=20
> > 4. PThread
> > I will remove Posix Thread code.
>=20
> We don't really need threads.
>=20
> > I will send another patch until next monday.
>=20
> Keep up the good work.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> 1. Glib
> I will fix it. I found another approach using dbus main loop function.

perfect.

> 2. libbridge
> It should be removed. It is not being used at the momment. I will fix
> the Makefile.am
> But in the the future, I would suggest provide automatic bridge creation.
> Using libbridge it's possible create bridge and add bnep interfaces.

I am not against it, but I think we need to make it optional. Does it
make sense to put that into pand or leave it in the client?

> 3. Coding style
> sorry, I try do my best. I am not familiar with linux kernel coding style.

Maybe you wanna read the paper from Greg KH on the BlueZ page. We will
sort that out later.

> 4. PThread
> I will remove Posix Thread code.

We don't really need threads.

> I will send another patch until next monday.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

1. Glib
I will fix it. I found another approach using dbus main loop function.

2. libbridge
It should be removed. It is not being used at the momment. I will fix
the Makefile.am
But in the the future, I would suggest provide automatic bridge creation.
Using libbridge it's possible create bridge and add bnep interfaces.

3. Coding style
sorry, I try do my best. I am not familiar with linux kernel coding style.

4. PThread=20
I will remove Posix Thread code.

Thanks for our comments!
I will send another patch until next monday.

Regards,
Claudio.

On 5/26/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > A new patch is available in the link below:
> > http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/
>=20
> lets welcome the Nokia 770 development ;)
>=20
> > The DBUS.TXT file contains information to run the sample and
> > how configure the service.
>=20
> We must make sure that we install a default service file, but we can
> sort this out later.
>=20
> > Suggestions and comments are welcome!
>=20
> We must really talk about the coding style at some point, but this is
> not important at the moment. We follow the kernel coding style and I
> wanna keep it that way.
>=20
> While looking through the whole source I realized that you used Glib and
> Pthread. This introduces a dependency chain that I don't wanna take. We
> must be really careful about this, because not all embedded systems can
> deal with it. We had a hard time to remove the Glib dependency from hcid
> and I am not going to introduce it again. For Pthread you might convince
> me, but there must be really good arguments.
>=20
> What is libbridge? I don't found it on any of my systems.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> online with coworkers and clients while avoiding the high cost of travel =
and
> communications. There is no equipment to buy and you can meet as often as
> you want. Try it free.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=3D7402&alloc_id=3D16135&=
op=3Dclick

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

On 5/24/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > Regarding our suggestion about the service name. I consider the
> > following basic features essential to establish and control connections=
:
> > * Search for a service (provided by sdptool)
> > * Display local devices (provided by hcitool)
> > * Switch master/slave role (provided by hcitool)
> > * Listen for PAN connections (provided by pand)
> > * Connect (provided by pand)
> > * Disconnect (provided by pand)
> > * Display active connections (provided by pand)
> >
> > According to D-BUS specification when messages are received over a
> > D-BUS connection,
> > they are sent to a specific object, not to the application as a whole.
> > Each object supports
> > one or more interfaces.
> >
> > We have two options:
> > 1. define one object with only one interface
> > eg:
> > object:org.bluez.pand
> > interface:org.bluez.pand
> > 2. define one object with multiple interfaces
> > eg:
> > object:org.bluez.pand
> > interface: org.bluez.pand
> > interface: org.bluez.sdp
> > interface: org.bluez.hci
> >
> > For the both cases, pand will be the daemon responsible for
> > provide this interfaces/services.
> > What approach do you preffer?
> > The last alternative is better because it is possible define more
> > detailed rules in the dbus configuration file.
>=20
> this might be, but until we don't fully understand what functionality we
> need to provide over D-Bus I like to go with 1). In general the first
> version of an API sucks and I don't wanna spread it over different
> interfaces and have to deprecate them.
>=20
> > Another point is the header for dbus services, the client application
> > must know the message format, therefore the header file(dbus_services.h=
)
> > will be required. In the future, develop a library hidding D-BUS messag=
> > details is a better option.
>=20
> Then make it dbus.h for the service definitions and move the rest into
> dbus.c and the function declaration into pand.h. For now copy the dbus.h
> to the client application and we will sort out the details of it later.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> Regarding our suggestion about the service name. I consider the
> following basic features essential to establish and control connections:
> * Search for a service (provided by sdptool)
> * Display local devices (provided by hcitool)
> * Switch master/slave role (provided by hcitool)
> * Listen for PAN connections (provided by pand)
> * Connect (provided by pand)
> * Disconnect (provided by pand)
> * Display active connections (provided by pand)
>
> According to D-BUS specification when messages are received over a
> D-BUS connection,
> they are sent to a specific object, not to the application as a whole.
> Each object supports
> one or more interfaces.
>
> We have two options:
> 1. define one object with only one interface
> eg:
> object:org.bluez.pand
> interface:org.bluez.pand
> 2. define one object with multiple interfaces
> eg:
> object:org.bluez.pand
> interface: org.bluez.pand
> interface: org.bluez.sdp
> interface: org.bluez.hci
>
> For the both cases, pand will be the daemon responsible for
> provide this interfaces/services.
> What approach do you preffer?
> The last alternative is better because it is possible define more
> detailed rules in the dbus configuration file.

this might be, but until we don't fully understand what functionality we
need to provide over D-Bus I like to go with 1). In general the first
version of an API sucks and I don't wanna spread it over different
interfaces and have to deprecate them.

> Another point is the header for dbus services, the client application
> must know the message format, therefore the header file(dbus_services.h)
> will be required. In the future, develop a library hidding D-BUS message
> details is a better option.

Then make it dbus.h for the service definitions and move the rest into
dbus.c and the function declaration into pand.h. For now copy the dbus.h
to the client application and we will sort out the details of it later.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

I will fix your suggestions.

Regarding our suggestion about the service name. I consider the
following basic features essential to establish and control connections:
* Search for a service (provided by sdptool)
* Display local devices (provided by hcitool)
* Switch master/slave role (provided by hcitool)
* Listen for PAN connections (provided by pand)
* Connect (provided by pand)
* Disconnect (provided by pand)
* Display active connections (provided by pand)

According to D-BUS specification when messages are received over a
D-BUS connection,
they are sent to a specific object, not to the application as a whole.
Each object supports
one or more interfaces.
=20
We have two options:
1. define one object with only one interface
eg: =20

On 5/23/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > I am sending a initial skeleton of pand DBUS support. I was not able to
> > access BlueZ CVS due firewall permissions.
> >
> > The path is based on bluez-utils-2.17.
>=20
> no problem the 2.17 is quite up-to-date.
>=20
> > Suggestions and comments are welcome!
>=20
> please use only the file dbus.c and put needed function prototypes into
> pand.h. The dbus_services.h is not needed. Put the declarations into
> dbus.c.
>=20
> Don't provide and "hcid" service within pand. If you wanna provide HCI
> task then hide them inside the pand D-Bus. Use org.bluez.pand as base
> name for all stuff.
>=20
> Never use dev_id. You can use the source Bluetooth address instead and
> then convert it to dev_id internally. Don't use bdaddr_t at all. Simply
> use the string representation of the Bluetooth device address.
>=20
> Don't use char to represent an one byte value. Use uint8_t.
>=20
> Once if we agree on the changes to Makefile.am, pand.h and main.c, then
> I can commit a simple framework with an empty dbus.c and you only need
> to send me changes to dbus.c from then on.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> I am sending a initial skeleton of pand DBUS support. I was not able to
> access BlueZ CVS due firewall permissions.
>
> The path is based on bluez-utils-2.17.

no problem the 2.17 is quite up-to-date.

> Suggestions and comments are welcome!

please use only the file dbus.c and put needed function prototypes into
pand.h. The dbus_services.h is not needed. Put the declarations into
dbus.c.

Don't provide and "hcid" service within pand. If you wanna provide HCI
task then hide them inside the pand D-Bus. Use org.bluez.pand as base
name for all stuff.

Never use dev_id. You can use the source Bluetooth address instead and
then convert it to dev_id internally. Don't use bdaddr_t at all. Simply
use the string representation of the Bluetooth device address.

Don't use char to represent an one byte value. Use uint8_t.

Once if we agree on the changes to Makefile.am, pand.h and main.c, then
I can commit a simple framework with an empty dbus.c and you only need
to send me changes to dbus.c from then on.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

I am sending a initial skeleton of pand DBUS support. I was not able to
access BlueZ CVS due firewall permissions.

The path is based on bluez-utils-2.17.

The Makefile.am file was changed. Run aclocal, automake and autoconf tools.

The BLUEZ DBUS PAN service uses the system bus. Check the following
items before run the sample client:
1. checking dbus-daemon
type: $ps -ef | grep dbus
"dbus-daemon --system" should be displayed
If not, install dbus-1 package

2. check dbus service configuration file
The file bluez.conf must be located at: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
See Appendix 1 of DBUS.TXT file located in pand directory
After copy bluez.conf file I suggest restart dbus-daemon

3. running the bluez pan daemon (requires root permission)
type $pand --dbus or pand -b --nodetach
check if the pand process is running: $ps -ef | grep pand
if not, read the system log: $tail /var/log/syslog

4. extract the client (doesn't require root permission)
The client calls basic functions. This is a usage sample
for gamming, UPnP, ... A library can be developed to
hide D-Bus functions.

Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Regarding dbus-0.33 support, I decided implement using a compatible
version(0.23). When a stable version become available we can think
on move to the new version.

Claudio.

On 5/12/05, Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thank you Marcel !
>
> Ciao,
>
> Peter
>
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > > sorry for asking a possible dump question, but:
> > > can anybody point me to a source what this D-BUS stuff is ???
> >
> > look at http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

> | Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
> | G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
> | Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
> | D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

(No filename) (2.91 kB)
pand_dbus_client.tar.gz (78.01 kB)
bluez-2.17-dbus.diff (51.63 kB)

by Peter Wippich

Thank you Marcel !

Ciao,

Peter

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> > sorry for asking a possible dump question, but:
> > can anybody point me to a source what this D-BUS stuff is ???
>
> look at http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Peter Wippich

Thank you Claudio !

May be this will be interesting for a project we are currently working on.
I'll have a look at it.

Ciao,
Peter

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Claudio Takahasi wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> You can find more information on the references below:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-dbus.html
>

> Basically, DBUS is system for interprocess communication.
>
> Where/Why PAND DBUS service can be usefull:
> - pand required root permission
> - user applications are not allowed to establish connection or control
> the BT device/connections
> - For embedded devices(cell phones, PDAs,..), applications like
> gamming, UPnP, etc.
> want to control BT connections, search services, ... and there isn't
> API for address this.
>
> Obviously, there is a hard work to do. Bridge creation/control, IP assi=
gnment,
> service name resolution have to be improved too in order to provide sea=
mless
> connections.
>
> Regards,
> Claudio.
>

> On 5/12/05, Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > sorry for asking a possible dump question, but:
> > can anybody point me to a source what this D-BUS stuff is ???
> > Think I missed something.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > | Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 =
|
> > | G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 =
|
> > | Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected]=
|
> > | D-13355 Berlin / Germany =

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Peter,

You can find more information on the references below:

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-dbus.html

Basically, DBUS is system for interprocess communication.

Where/Why PAND DBUS service can be usefull:
- pand required root permission
- user applications are not allowed to establish connection or control
the BT device/connections
- For embedded devices(cell phones, PDAs,..), applications like
gamming, UPnP, etc.
want to control BT connections, search services, ... and there isn't
API for address this.

Obviously, there is a hard work to do. Bridge creation/control, IP assignme=
nt,=20
service name resolution have to be improved too in order to provide seamles=
s=20
connections.

Regards,
Claudio.

On 5/12/05, Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> sorry for asking a possible dump question, but:
> can anybody point me to a source what this D-BUS stuff is ???
> Think I missed something.
>=20
> Thanks a lot,
>=20
> Peter
>=20
>=20
> | Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
> | G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
> | Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
> | D-13355 Berlin / Germany |
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> sorry for asking a possible dump question, but:
> can anybody point me to a source what this D-BUS stuff is ???

look at http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hi all,

sorry for asking a possible dump question, but:
can anybody point me to a source what this D-BUS stuff is ???
Think I missed something.

Thanks a lot,

Peter

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> According with our last discussion. I will to add DBUS service
> support in the pand. All code related to DBUS will be added
> in a new file.
>
> The dbus service will be enabled using the argument "--dbus".
> However if this argument is provide with other arguments like
> "--connect", "--role" or "--listen" a sharing problem will happen.
>
> What is the behaviour that you want?
> 1. if "--dbus" was informed no other arguments will be accepted
> 2. support a shared mode, accepting other arguments.

you should do 1). The rest makes no sense, because if you start it with
--dbus you want to control everything via a D-Bus application and pand
acts like a proxy.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

According with our last discussion. I will to add DBUS service
support in the pand. All code related to DBUS will be added=20
in a new file.

The dbus service will be enabled using the argument "--dbus".
However if this argument is provide with other arguments like
"--connect", "--role" or "--listen" a sharing problem will happen.

What is the behaviour that you want?
1. if "--dbus" was informed no other arguments will be accepted
2. support a shared mode, accepting other arguments.

In this last case, I have to solve a small problem: shared=20
variables, add functions to check the device status,
and common codes like this:

create_connection()

static uint16_t role =3D BNEP_SVC_PANU;=09/* Local role (ie service) */
static uint16_t service =3D BNEP_SVC_NAP;=09/* Remote service */

static int encrypt;
static int secure;
static int master;

static char netdev[16] =3D "bnep%d";
static bdaddr_t src_addr =3D *BDADDR_ANY;
static int src_dev =3D -1;

Regards,
Claudio.

On 5/2/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > After analyze both approachs and consider the future enhancements
> > for BlueZ, implement DBUS service at BlueZ level can be better
> > because it open a new perspective, local services can provided:
> > - dial-up networking
> > - business card exchange
> > - fax
> > - file transfer
> > - headset
> > - audio gateway
> > - ...
> >
> > This is very interesting for embedded environment because
> > only the assigned application will handle the request/notifications.
> >
> > Regarding the service name, I suggest:
> > "org.bluez.pand"
> > Is it fine for you?
>=20
> the name is fine with me.
>=20
> > Do you want a macro to enable this feature at
> > build time?
>=20
> Follow the hcid example. The configure script already detects if D-Bus
> is available or not.
>=20
> Make sure that the current tasks (--connect and --listen) of pand are
> working the same and use --dbus for starting a pand with a D-Bus
> interface.
>=20
> Keep all the D-Bus specific things in a separate files.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20

--=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> After analyze both approachs and consider the future enhancements
> for BlueZ, implement DBUS service at BlueZ level can be better
> because it open a new perspective, local services can provided:
> - dial-up networking
> - business card exchange
> - fax
> - file transfer
> - headset
> - audio gateway
> - ...
>
> This is very interesting for embedded environment because
> only the assigned application will handle the request/notifications.
>
> Regarding the service name, I suggest:
> "org.bluez.pand"
> Is it fine for you?

the name is fine with me.

On 5/1/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > I suggested provide a DBUS message service in another
> > level because I will try contribute with NetworkManager
> > project:
> > http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/index.html
>=20
> then this is not about D-Bus integration. What you need is to make the
> NetworkManager daemon capable of dealing with Bluetooth PAN connections.
>=20
> > I will analyze these two approachs and define the most
> > interesting solution for my project.
>=20
> Both parts are fine with me, but the NetworkManager thing should be done
> outside of the BlueZ utilities.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20

--=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> I suggested provide a DBUS message service in another
> level because I will try contribute with NetworkManager
> project:
> http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/index.html

then this is not about D-Bus integration. What you need is to make the
NetworkManager daemon capable of dealing with Bluetooth PAN connections.

> I will analyze these two approachs and define the most
> interesting solution for my project.

Both parts are fine with me, but the NetworkManager thing should be done
outside of the BlueZ utilities.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

I suggested provide a DBUS message service in another
level because I will try contribute with NetworkManager
project:
http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/index.html

I will analyze these two approachs and define the most
interesting solution for my project.

Thanks for your time,
Claudio.

On 4/29/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > My application will provide a DBUS service and
> > APIs to alows user mode applications interact
> > with diferent types of Wireless/Wired connections.
> > This is the reason to create a BlueZ library based
> > on pand and hcitool functions. My application should
> > the able to retrieve bluetooth device information,
> > including establish connection, disconnect, link
> > status, new devices/services, ...
> > The DBUS service will not be provided at BlueZ level.
> >
> > The current DBUS message in the hcid is used to handle
> > security/authentication issues. This message has a
> > different proposal. Therefore, use the same macro
> > "--enable-dbus" to enable/disable is not a good ideia.
> >
> > Another important information is: the user mode
> > application doesn't need root privileges to create
> > a bluetooth connection, because it will request using
> > APIs and DBUS service.
> >
> > Can I create a library in the pand directory and
> > reuse the common codes?
> > I suggest a directive like "--enable-panz" because
> > this library aims provide functions to hide connection
> > details.
>=20
> I think you get the whole idea of D-Bus wrong and this is not about the
> current D-Bus support of hcid for the PIN helper.
>=20
> As I said if you wanna control something from your application via D-Bus
> then make sure there is a D-Bus enabled pand service is running. If you
> wanna do it at another level, then I don't see any benefit from it. Why
> should we create another library only to help your special D-Bus daemon
> if it is not Bluetooth only. In that case you should simply duplicate
> the code and integrate it into your daemon directly. There is no need to
> make things more complicate.
>=20
> For me the only thing that makes sense if you enhance the pand with
> D-Bus support and then you use that D-Bus interface in your application.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] DBUS service support - poll patch

Hi Claudio,

> There is a new patch available.
>
> http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/zeroconf/bluez/bluez-dbus-poll-v00.03.diff
>
> Changes from last release:
> - comments fixed
> - message handle optimized
> - created a library for clients development

thanks for the new patch. I didn't had time to review it, but I think we
really get near what we need. Maybe I have to do another release before
I can include your patch.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

There is a new patch available.

http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/zeroconf/bluez/bluez-dbus-poll-v00.03.diff

Changes from last release:
- comments fixed
- message handle optimized
- created a library for clients development

Now, the test client is based on a library.
http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/zeroconf/bluez/libbluezdbus-0.1.tar.gz
The sample directory contains the test application:
"client" can be used to request services
"sig_listener" is used to listen to signals: new connections,=20
disconnection, role changed, ..

Currently, the listener is not integrated with the requester because
Glib main loop integration is required. I will develop a better client
for demonstration purpose as son as possible.

Bugs:
- start service is not working

TODO:
-organize the interfaces names/services better.=20
sdptool, pand, dund features should be provided
using D-Bus. Align with Maemo gwconnect???
-Develop a new version supporting the new D-Bus version

QUESTIONS:
-Where put library creation?
1. put in the pand daemon under optional feature
advantages: can be shared between dbus and no-dbus.
The control is easier.
disadvantages: libbridge dependency
2. put it in a library(commented previously)
advantages: This feature can be added with another
features/functions, like D-Bus message
functions, Zeroconf integration (UDHCP) or HOWL.
UDHCP and HOWL D-BUS services are being developed.
disadvantages: no-dbus pand daemon will not be able to
control bridges and all clients will be allowed
to control bridges.

The library is not complete. I am sending to see the
community feedback.

Regards,
Claudio.

On 6/14/05, Claudio Takahasi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/bluez-dbus-poll-v00.02.diff
>=20
> I read the Greg K.H. paper, I tryed adjust the code following his
> suggestion. Probably there are points that remain incorrect.
> Send me suggestions and comments that I will fix it.
>=20
> I am working on library for hidding D-BUS details. I don' t
> know how provide it to the developers. Basically, this library
> will hide the code inside the pand_dbus_client.tar.gz
>=20
> Another subject that I want introduce is bridge creation. I think
> we discuss this subject before. Two approachs can be applied:
> 1. put in the pand daemon under optional feature
> advantages: can be shared between dbus and no-dbus
> disadvantages: libbridge dependency
> 2. put it in a library(commented previously)
> advantages: This feature can be added with another
> features/functions, like D-Bus message
> functions, Zeroconf integration (UDHCP) or HOWL.
> UDHCP and HOWL D-BUS services are being developed.
> disadvantages: no-dbus pand daemon will not be able to
> control bridges
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Regards,
> Claudio.
>=20
>=20
> On 6/6/05, Claudio Takahasi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Marcel,
> >
> > Probably you are not satisfied with D-Bus watches. I tryed remove
> > it, but it is not possible.
> > According with D-Bus documentation is not allowed read/write directly
> > in the file descriptor. DBusWatch must be used for main loop integratio=
n.

> > Another important approach is develop a library for D-Bus function
> > hidding. The sample client is just a usage sample and a better idea
> > is use a common library for all applications: gamming, UPnP, messenger,=
> >
> > Regarding the coding style I will review it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Claudio.
> >
> > On 6/3/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi Claudio,

> > > I just had some some time for a quick review. It is not fully what I =
had
> > > in mind, but it is something from what we can work onwards. I think i=
> > > is a good idea to include it into release 2.18 and then start on
> > > improving it.
> > >
> > > Since I am away the next week you might wanna address the coding styl=
> > > issues in that time. Read the paper from Greg KH from the OLS 2002. I
> > > think it gives a very good understanding on it.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Marcel

shotput
> > > a projector? How fast can you ride your desk chair down the office lu=
ge track?
> > > If you want to score the big prize, get to know the little guy.

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

There is a new patch available.

http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/bluez-dbus-poll-v00.02.diff

I read the Greg K.H. paper, I tryed adjust the code following his
suggestion. Probably there are points that remain incorrect.
Send me suggestions and comments that I will fix it.

I am working on library for hidding D-BUS details. I don' t=20
know how provide it to the developers. Basically, this library
will hide the code inside the pand_dbus_client.tar.gz

Another subject that I want introduce is bridge creation. I think
we discuss this subject before. Two approachs can be applied:
1. put in the pand daemon under optional feature
advantages: can be shared between dbus and no-dbus=20
disadvantages: libbridge dependency=20
2. put it in a library(commented previously)
advantages: This feature can be added with another=20
features/functions, like D-Bus message=20
functions, Zeroconf integration (UDHCP) or HOWL.
UDHCP and HOWL D-BUS services are being developed.
disadvantages: no-dbus pand daemon will not be able to=20
control bridges

Regards,
Claudio.

On 6/6/05, Claudio Takahasi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Marcel,
>=20
> Probably you are not satisfied with D-Bus watches. I tryed remove
> it, but it is not possible.
> According with D-Bus documentation is not allowed read/write directly
> in the file descriptor. DBusWatch must be used for main loop integration.
>=20
> Another important approach is develop a library for D-Bus function
> hidding. The sample client is just a usage sample and a better idea
> is use a common library for all applications: gamming, UPnP, messenger, .=
..
>=20
> Regarding the coding style I will review it.
>=20
> Regards,
> Claudio.
>=20
> On 6/3/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Claudio,
> >
> > > A new patch is available using a main loop and poll to wait for some =
event
> > > on a file descriptor list (D-Bus and Bluetooth).
> > >
> > > All Glib and pthread dependencies were remove.
> >
> > I just had some some time for a quick review. It is not fully what I ha=
> > in mind, but it is something from what we can work onwards. I think it
> > is a good idea to include it into release 2.18 and then start on
> > improving it.
> >
> > Since I am away the next week you might wanna address the coding style
> > issues in that time. Read the paper from Greg KH from the OLS 2002. I
> > think it gives a very good understanding on it.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Hi Marcel,

Probably you are not satisfied with D-Bus watches. I tryed remove=20
it, but it is not possible.=20
According with D-Bus documentation is not allowed read/write directly
in the file descriptor. DBusWatch must be used for main loop integration.

Another important approach is develop a library for D-Bus function
hidding. The sample client is just a usage sample and a better idea
is use a common library for all applications: gamming, UPnP, messenger, ...

Regarding the coding style I will review it.

Regards,
Claudio.

On 6/3/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > A new patch is available using a main loop and poll to wait for some ev=
ent
> > on a file descriptor list (D-Bus and Bluetooth).
> >
> > All Glib and pthread dependencies were remove.
>=20
> I just had some some time for a quick review. It is not fully what I had
> in mind, but it is something from what we can work onwards. I think it
> is a good idea to include it into release 2.18 and then start on
> improving it.
>=20
> Since I am away the next week you might wanna address the coding style
> issues in that time. Read the paper from Greg KH from the OLS 2002. I
> think it gives a very good understanding on it.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Claudio,

> A new patch is available using a main loop and poll to wait for some event
> on a file descriptor list (D-Bus and Bluetooth).
>
> All Glib and pthread dependencies were remove.

I just had some some time for a quick review. It is not fully what I had
in mind, but it is something from what we can work onwards. I think it
is a good idea to include it into release 2.18 and then start on
improving it.

Since I am away the next week you might wanna address the coding style
issues in that time. Read the paper from Greg KH from the OLS 2002. I
think it gives a very good understanding on it.

Regards

Marcel

by Claudio Takahasi

Sorry,

Now, It is available.

Regards,
Claudio.

On 6/3/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>=20
> > http://www.indt.org.br/maemo/bluez/bluez-dbus-poll.diff
>=20