2005-11-22 13:06:00

by Matthieu CASTET

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Réf. : Re: [Bluez-devel] uart driver

Hi,

> send in more details what this driver is about.
My hardware is a simple uart, but which is managed by an extra processor.
So the driver for the uart take buffers of characters and don't
send/receive character by character the data.

My question was if there is an easy way to use hci_ldisc.c driver.
I understood that I need to do a real uart driver in order to use
hci_ldisc.c. My question was how to make a real uart driver.

Also can't hci_ldisc.c be split to use tty or other external read/write
function ?

Regards,

Matthieu

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Réf. : Re: [Bluez-devel] uart driver

Hi Matthieu,

> > send in more details what this driver is about.
> My hardware is a simple uart, but which is managed by an extra processor.
> So the driver for the uart take buffers of characters and don't
> send/receive character by character the data.
>
> My question was if there is an easy way to use hci_ldisc.c driver.
> I understood that I need to do a real uart driver in order to use
> hci_ldisc.c. My question was how to make a real uart driver.
>
> Also can't hci_ldisc.c be split to use tty or other external read/write
> function ?

about what transport protocol are we talking. Is this still H:4 or what
do you use?

I personally think it is easier to write a HCI driver that handles your
special UART directly. Since I have no idea how your UART really looks
like, I can't give a perfect advice.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hi Mattieu,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
> I look in your pci driver, and is more or less what I did except that I
> still use hci_h4 module.
>
> What I don't like with these scheme is that all PCI/PCMCIA/USB driver
> duplicate some generic uart bluetooth code.
Well, its mostly in the ISR and this should be fast. So code duplication
is the most effective way here, even if it is not very nice.

> What I wanted is to have a generic uart driver that know nothing about hci
> and bluetooth, and then use hci_ldisc.c for the bluetooth part.
Well, this is how the standard HCI UART driver works !!??

> Is the fact to use the tty layer between uart driver and bluetooth uart
> module is too complex and have a high overhead ?
>
> If tty is too complex, why not doing a generic uart bluetooth driver with
> simple inferface : send_packet/receive/init/close/... ?
The current driver interface isn't much more than that. I think it's
fairly simple. It has open/close/ send frame/ flush / destruct and
ioctl (the last two are usualy empty). Than it gots an ISR for receive
which delivers the packets to the higher layer. All other code is more or
less hardware specific. I don't see a good chance to make it much simpler.

Ciao,

Peter

> Matthieu

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |