2006-02-21 13:52:42

by Jim Wyllie

Subject: [Bluez-devel] MTU limited to 672

I am implementing a protocol over L2CAP and would like to increase the
MTU over 672 bytes. However, attempting a connection with the requisite
size will fail in connect() with "Connection Reset by Peer". I am also
unable to get an actual MTU over 672 using l2test.

I was unable to find the location in the kernel where this functionality
was implemented. Could someone let me know if it's the case that one
can't get an MTU over 672 with the current kernel and libraries, and if
so, if there are any workarounds?

Thank you for your time,
Jim

by Peter Wippich

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] MTU limited to 672

Sorry, MTU size larger than 672 is possible in general. But it is not
guaranteed that the remote device will support it. The minimum MTU is 48
Bytes. Most devices support MTU sizes up to 672 bytes (the default value).

Maximum MTU size is negotiated during L2CAP connection setup. See L2CAP
specification. So what happens is that you tried to connect to a remote
device with an MTU size larger than the remote device supports.

You should check L2CAP implementation and HCI.

Ciao,

Peter

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Jim Wyllie wrote:

> I am implementing a protocol over L2CAP and would like to increase the
> MTU over 672 bytes. However, attempting a connection with the requisite
> size will fail in connect() with "Connection Reset by Peer". I am also
> unable to get an actual MTU over 672 using l2test.
>
> I was unable to find the location in the kernel where this functionality
> was implemented. Could someone let me know if it's the case that one
> can't get an MTU over 672 with the current kernel and libraries, and if
> so, if there are any workarounds?
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Jim

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Peter Wippich

The Limitation of a maximum MTU size of 672 is a limitation enforced by
the Bluetooth specification. You can not use an MTU larger than 672.