2006-05-26 08:17:39

by blanca rapun

Subject: [Bluez-devel] v.1.1=CSR, v.1.2=Broadcom

I would like to know if someone of you have some information about why some dongles which use CSR chips in its v.1.1 version use Broadcom chips in its v.1.2.

I read some mails that treat this subject but nobody seems to know why. Any news since then?

I have compared DBT120(CSR, v.1.1) with DBT122 (Broadcom,v.1.2). DBT122 seems to implement better its power control, since RSSI in the receiver was 0 in more times than using DBT120 as transmiter. Do you know if this happens because of the chip manufacturer or because the version?

I noticed a lot of interest in "inquiry with RSSI" feature. I would be very thanful if you you tell me in which applications you need it, or some examples of use it.

Any information will be very useful for me.

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
Llamadas a fijos y m?viles desde 1 c?ntimo por minuto.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com

2006-05-26 08:34:56

by Peter Wippich

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] v.1.1=CSR, v.1.2=Broadcom

Hi,

I don't know either, but there are two things very obvious:

a) Broadcom has aquired Widcom and most Dongle manufacturers are selling
their dongles with the Widcom stack. So 2 choices now: using another stack
or another chip.......

b) Broadcom chipset may be cheaper. I don't know because Broadcom won't
talk to you when your asking for less than 500k.

I don't think the mass product manufacturers are interested in any
technical details.

Ciao,

Peter

On Fri, 26 May 2006, blanca rapun wrote:

> I would like to know if someone of you have some information about why some dongles which use CSR chips in its v.1.1 version use Broadcom chips in its v.1.2.
>
> I read some mails that treat this subject but nobody seems to know why. Any news since then?
>
> I have compared DBT120(CSR, v.1.1) with DBT122 (Broadcom,v.1.2). DBT122 seems to implement better its power control, since RSSI in the receiver was 0 in more times than using DBT120 as transmiter. Do you know if this happens because of the chip manufacturer or because the version?
>
> I noticed a lot of interest in "inquiry with RSSI" feature. I would be very thanful if you you tell me in which applications you need it, or some examples of use it.
>
> Any information will be very useful for me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
> Llamadas a fijos y m?viles desde 1 c?ntimo por minuto.
> http://es.voice.yahoo.com

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |