2006-06-27 05:42:20

by Mayank Batra

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Kernel Modules for ARM

Hi,

I am successfully able to cross-compile bluez-libs-2.25 and
bluez-utils-2.25for ARM.

But I feel that the kernel modules (like bluez.o, l2cap.o, rfcomm.o etc)
have not been built for ARM. (Or if they have been built somewhere, but I
can't find them)

So, if I say insmod bluez on my target, it says:

# insmod bluez
Using /lib/modules/kernel/bluez.o
insmod: ELF file not for this architecture
insmod: Could not load the module: Bad address

I have the feeling that the bluez.o is not an ELF file and it was not
generated during the cross compile.

Please help me out.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mayank

Attachments:
(No filename) (599.00 B)
(No filename) (855.00 B)
(No filename) (299.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Mayank Batra

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Kernel Modules for ARM

Hi Peter,

On 6/27/06, Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Have you tried to compile the kernel Modules as build in ?? This avoids
> all possible module path problems and stuff in the first place.

I've just recompiled my kernel, and now I am able to get the kernel modules
for BlueZ.

I also would recommend using a 2.6 kernel. We do not have any problems
> with it (at least not with the BlueZ part).

Ok...I'll try...but not now

Below is my build script for cross compiling bluez libs and utils. Maybe
> this helps.
> TARGET is set to arm-linux and XPREFIX is the path to the target device
> root on the build machine. Maybe this helps.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Peter

Thanks a lot for this script. But I've already cross-compiled the bluez-libs
and blue-utils. Anyways, I'll keep them with me for reference later on.
Actually, I almost did the steps written in the script. So, its good to have
them in a script.

Another problem that I am facing now is that when I do hcitool scan, I find
no devices whereas there are a lot of devices in the surroundings.
Another strange thing is that sdptool browse actually shows the services
present on the remote devices.
Also, if I register any service using sdptool, I can see it from a remote
device.
Any suggestion? Marcel?

Thanks.

Regards,
Mayank

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.27 kB)
(No filename) (1.97 kB)
(No filename) (299.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Peter Wippich

Hi Manyak,

> I already have a 2.4.21 kernel running, but I cannot see any of the kernel
> modules for BlueZ, e.g. bluez.o, l2cap.o, rfcomm.o in the directory
> /lib/modules/kernel.
>
> So does that mean that my kernel was compiled without Bluetooth support?
> - If yes, is there any way with which I can enable Bluetooth support? (Will
> I have to recompile the kernel?)
> - Or can I directly apply some patch by which I can get those kernel
> modules?
Have you tried to compile the kernel Modules as build in ?? This avoids
all possible module path problems and stuff in the first place.

I also would recommend using a 2.6 kernel. We do not have any problems
with it (at least not with the BlueZ part).

Below is my build script for cross compiling bluez libs and utils. Maybe
this helps.
TARGET is set to arm-linux and XPREFIX is the path to the target device
root on the build machine. Maybe this helps.

Ciao,

Peter

#!/bin/sh
# build bluez libs / tools for WPC

export BUILD_ARCH=arm

. build-config.env

#export target cross tools
export AR="$TARGET-ar"
export LD="$TARGET-ld"
export CC="$TARGET-gcc"
export GCC="$TARGET-gcc"

export LINUX_DIR=$PWD/$KERNEL_SRC

# configure and make bluez libs
pushd bluez/bluez-libs-2.25
./configure --host=$TARGET --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
--with-kernel=$LINUX_DIR \
--libdir=/lib --includedir=/include
make
echo
echo "Installing Bluez Libs in $XPREFIX"
echo
make install DESTDIR=$XPREFIX
popd

# configure and make bluez utils
# export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$XPREFIX/lib/pkgconfig"
pushd bluez/bluez-utils-2.25
./configure --enable-bccmd --prefix=$XPREFIX --host=$TARGET
--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
--with-kernel=$LINUX_DIR \
--libdir=$XPREFIX/lib --includedir=$XPREFIX/include
# --sysconfdir=/etc
# --without-glib
# can't figure out how to get this right .......... so...
echo "#undef CONFIGDIR" >> config.h
echo "#define CONFIGDIR \"/etc/bluetooth\"" >> config.h
make
make install
popd

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mayank,

> One more question:
> The kernel patches that are there at your site
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/
> are they for i386 or ARM?
> Because my kernel is for ARM, can I apply those patches?

these patches are only changing the source code and i386, ARM and other
kernels are compiled from the same source.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mayank,

> I already have a 2.4.21 kernel running, but I cannot see any of the
> kernel modules for BlueZ, e.g. bluez.o, l2cap.o, rfcomm.o in the
> directory /lib/modules/kernel.
>
> So does that mean that my kernel was compiled without Bluetooth
> support?
> - If yes, is there any way with which I can enable Bluetooth support?
> (Will I have to recompile the kernel?)
> - Or can I directly apply some patch by which I can get those kernel
> modules?

you will have to re-compile the kernel if no additional kernel modules
package is available.

Regards

Marcel

by Mayank Batra

Hi Marcel,

On 6/27/06, Mayank Batra <[email protected]> wrote:

> I already have a 2.4.21 kernel running, but I cannot see any of the
> kernel modules for BlueZ, e.g. bluez.o, l2cap.o, rfcomm.o in the directory
> /lib/modules/kernel.
>
> So does that mean that my kernel was compiled without Bluetooth support?
> - If yes, is there any way with which I can enable Bluetooth support?
> (Will I have to recompile the kernel?)
> - Or can I directly apply some patch by which I can get those kernel
> modules?

Attachments:
(No filename) (729.00 B)
(No filename) (1.21 kB)
(No filename) (299.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Mayank Batra

Hi Marcel,

On 6/27/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> the kernel modules for BlueZ are part of the Linux kernel. Pick a recent
> kernel and you get all of them. And you should really go ahead with a
> 2.6 kernel. It is worth any initial trouble.

I already have a 2.4.21 kernel running, but I cannot see any of the kernel
modules for BlueZ, e.g. bluez.o, l2cap.o, rfcomm.o in the directory
/lib/modules/kernel.

So does that mean that my kernel was compiled without Bluetooth support?
- If yes, is there any way with which I can enable Bluetooth support? (Will
I have to recompile the kernel?)
- Or can I directly apply some patch by which I can get those kernel
modules?

Kindly advise.

Thanks.
Regards,