2006-07-05 12:23:57

by Victor Andres

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Serial comunication RFCOMM

Well, I really want to conect more than 7 devices to my Pc, using
bluetooth-usb adapters (one, or more than one adapters). And the profile a
need to use is SPP, serial port. the devices are gps-gluetooth.

Where can I find a exaple about how can I do it?

Thanks, and excuse my persistance.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> > specify always the source interface (dongle). All BlueZ tools accept the
> > parameter --device (-i hci0 for example).
> Obvious :-).
>
> Sorry, can't resist

yeah. This one is funny. It is legacy. The -i was for interface as used
by many IP related tools and --device for the actual Bluetooth device.
We screwed that up, but it is consistent. Nowadays I would refer to
adapter and not devices for the local ones.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hi Marcel,

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> specify always the source interface (dongle). All BlueZ tools accept the
> parameter --device (-i hci0 for example).
Obvious :-).

Sorry, can't resist

Peter

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Victor,

> Well, I really want to conect more than 7 devices to my Pc, using
> bluetooth-usb adapters (one, or more than one adapters). And the profile a
> need to use is SPP, serial port. the devices are gps-gluetooth.
>
> Where can I find a exaple about how can I do it?

you don't need anything special. You can easily connect as many devices
as you like. However if you wanna have more than 7 active ACL links then
you need more dongles. If you use more than one dongle, make sure to
specify always the source interface (dongle). All BlueZ tools accept the
parameter --device (-i hci0 for example).

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hello Victor,

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Victor Andres wrote:

> Well, I really want to conect more than 7 devices to my Pc, using
> bluetooth-usb adapters (one, or more than one adapters). And the profile a
> need to use is SPP, serial port. the devices are gps-gluetooth.
>
> Where can I find a exaple about how can I do it?
>
> Thanks, and excuse my persistance.
Well, you have to choices (maybe 3 if DBUS is one, haven't checked).
You may use either rfcomm ttys or direct rfcomm socket programming. For
tty just bind all remote devices (man rfcomm). Than connect by openning
the rfcomm ttys and you can read the GPS data from teh tty like a normal
serial connection.

For an example on how to use direct socket programming you may have a look
at dund or some other examples.

Ciao,