2006-10-02 14:10:03

by Guylhem Aznar

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Bluez article on OReillyNet

Hello

I have written an article about Bluez. Comments, feedback, etc. are welcome.
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/09/21/rediscovering-bluetooth.html?page=1

Suggestions for the next part are welcome.

PS: regarding A2DP on ARM, what is the current status ? Is it working
for a kernel 2.4/2.6 ?

I would like to give a *simple* command line example, like mplayer
passing its audio output by a2dp, through a serial port dongle (if
possible - the lowest speed, the better example).

I wouldn't want to be too confusing with pipes and stuff - mpg123 etc.
on a PCI dongle work fine on my desktop

by Guylhem Aznar

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Bluez article on OReillyNet

Hello,

On 10/3/06, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> fwiw, gumstix had a promising pxa board including bluetooth but not
> quite enough flash to fit alsa. in their newer boards they have more
> flash but they can't figure out how to get the new bluetooth adapter to
> switch into a rate faster than 56kbps. :(
>
> I've been trying to connect a csr module to it but it hasn't come
> together so far.

If you want to play with bluetooth on an ARM, I suggest you get an
Acer N30 Pda.

There are quite cheap now, and fully supported by a 2.6 kernel. You
get some flash and can always use a root filesystem on SD if you need
more place. The LCD is very bright and the battery decent.

They are not PXA however.

Guylhem

by Brad Midgley

Guylhem

> Unfortunately, the ARM machines I have only have serial ports ....
> I will try to have them chips on HWUART which should not have speed problems.

fwiw, gumstix had a promising pxa board including bluetooth but not
quite enough flash to fit alsa. in their newer boards they have more
flash but they can't figure out how to get the new bluetooth adapter to
switch into a rate faster than 56kbps. :(

I've been trying to connect a csr module to it but it hasn't come
together so far.

Brad

by Guylhem Aznar

Hello,

On 10/3/06, Peter Wippich <[email protected]> wrote:
> Depending on your system it is most likely that the HW Uart extension is
> not realy supported by the serial driver. I currently only know for sure
> for PXA type system. You need a special HWUART driver to take advantage of
> the HWUART.

There are 4 ARM systems I can try that with

- A Zaurus 6000, which is a PXA 255

- A Zaurus C860, which is also a PXA 255.

- An Acer N30, but it's a s3c2410, which is quite different.

- A Simpad - however it is a SA 1100, which has no HWUART. Moreover,
its bluetooth module needs some reflashing (which I can't do). It is
on ttySA1 - cf http://www.guylhem.net/r-hardware/simpad/bluetooth/ for
the hardware part, http://opensimpad.org/index.php/Simpad.c for the
software part.

> For a PXA system we may help you out if you insist.

Yes please. I would make a great base for the article.

> Further you may get problems with the RS232 driver chips usualy
> used. If you're able to connect the serial bluetooth module directly to
> the ARM UART lines (Rx / Tx / RTS /CTS) (3 Volt interface without RS232
> driver on both sides) this would be much better.

On the Zaurus 6000, I didn't add the module myself, but I think it's
on 3.3 V directly. It is also on the UART that can be rerouted to
HWUART (FTUART ?)

On the C860, it is directly soldered to the UART lines - yet to ones
of the standard serial port - ttyS0, which I think is STUART (will
check tonight) and which can not be rerouted to HWUART IIRC.

The demo could use either a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel. I usually run a 2.4 on
the 6000 and a 2.6 on the 860 but that's only for tests.

On the N30, I really don't know the s3c2410 - bluetooth work fine with
a 2.6 kernel.

Tell me if you need more information.

Guylhem

by Peter Wippich

Hi ,

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> Unfortunately, the ARM machines I have only have serial ports ....
>
> I will try to have them chips on HWUART which should not have speed problems.

Depending on your system it is most likely that the HW Uart extension is
not realy supported by the serial driver. I currently only know for sure
for PXA type system. You need a special HWUART driver to take advantage of
the HWUART.

For a PXA system we may help you out if you insist. We've not supplied it
yet for general inclusion because
a) it is not generic enough (makes assumptions about the HW used)
b) Marcel would reject it because of coding style (uses 4 characters space
indenting.....)

Further you may get problems with the RS232 driver chips usualy
used. If you're able to connect the serial bluetooth module directly to
the ARM UART lines (Rx / Tx / RTS /CTS) (3 Volt interface without RS232
driver on both sides) this would be much better.

Ciao,

Peter

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Guylhem Aznar

Hello

On 10/3/06, Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU <[email protected]> wrote:
> Use stty -F /dev/ttyS0 460800 to see if your serial can be set at high
> speed. It should display an error if the speed is not supported.
> You will have good result with USB devices that do not need the
> hciattach commands. They are really cheap and easy to find.

Unfortunately, the ARM machines I have only have serial ports ....

I will try to have them chips on HWUART which should not have speed problem=
s.

Guylhem

by Frédéric DALLEAU

>> You won't get it working on serial device slower than 460800 bauds ie
>> COM ports. However, arm machines may have a serial port that can reach
>> that speed. Maybe sbc settings can be tweeked to use less bandwith but
>> this also depends on headset.
>> =

> I'll use one of the dreaded HP headsets (OEM by logitech). Could I get
> it working at 230400 ?
>
> =

You will hear something but this is not usable. 460800 is the least I =

got a good result with.
Use stty -F /dev/ttyS0 460800 to see if your serial can be set at high =

speed. It should display an error if the speed is not supported.
You will have good result with USB devices that do not need the =

hciattach commands. They are really cheap and easy to find.

Fr=E9d=E9ric.

by Guylhem Aznar

Hello,

On 10/3/06, Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU <[email protected]> wrote:
> You won't get it working on serial device slower than 460800 bauds ie
> COM ports. However, arm machines may have a serial port that can reach
> that speed. Maybe sbc settings can be tweeked to use less bandwith but
> this also depends on headset.

I'll use one of the dreaded HP headsets (OEM by logitech). Could I get
it working at 230400 ?

> > I need to rewrite the install docs... (sigh)
> In case you need it, I uploaded the original odt document I wrote last
> day. http://fdalleau.free.fr/a2dp_doc.odt - Open Office 2.0 format

Thanks !

Guylhem

by Frédéric DALLEAU

Hi,
>> PS: regarding A2DP on ARM, what is the current status ? Is it working
>> for a kernel 2.4/2.6 ?
>> =

> which arm machine? If you can fit a recent alsa-lib on it, then you can
> use Fr=E9d=E9ric Dalleau's alsa plugin (also in the btsco project). setti=
ng
> up audio clients to use it is simpe.
> =

You won't get it working on serial device slower than 460800 bauds ie =

COM ports. However, arm machines may have a serial port that can reach =

that speed. Maybe sbc settings can be tweeked to use less bandwith but =

this also depends on headset.
> I need to rewrite the install docs... (sigh)
In case you need it, I uploaded the original odt document I wrote last =

day. http://fdalleau.free.fr/a2dp_doc.odt - Open Office 2.0 format

Fr=E9d=E9ric

by Brad Midgley

Guylhem