2007-10-18 17:45:17

by Kevin Fenzi

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluetooth headset not working

Greetings.

I recently had a chance to look at the new bluez-utils and the setup
for headsets. Very much nicer than any of the old methods. :)

However, I can't seem to get my headset working with twinkle (or any
other phone app).

I have setup my ~/.asoundrc.
I can play audio to my headset via mplayer or aplay fine.
When I try and set twinkle to use the ALSA bluetooth device it seems
like it opens the headset, and then it spits out:

ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:417:(bluetooth_hsp_hw_params) Protocol not
available (92)
ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:417:(bluetooth_hsp_hw_params) Protocol not
available (92)

Then it goes to 100% cpu and unresponsive.

ALSA bug? or bluez-utils? Anyone seen this before or have
a work around?

twinkle-1.1-3.fc8.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.0.15-0.2.rc2.fc8.x86_64
bluez-utils-3.20-2.fc8.x86_64

I talked with the twinkle developers, and they say it's not an issue
with twinkle. See:

Happy to provide info or debugging... CC me for faster response.

kevin

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
(No filename) (314.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Kevin Fenzi

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bluetooth headset not working

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Carter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
> > Jim Carter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > aplay or mplayer are talking to the ALSA device that uses the A2DP
> > > profile. The phone app needs to use the device with the HFP
> > > profile.
> >
> > Humm... do all headsets do A2DP? I thought mine did not.
>
> The ones with 2 earpieces and a mass of about 100 grams invariably
> (?) do A2DP which transmits stereo at 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz,
> compressed with the SBC codec. The single-ear ones with a mass of
> about 20 grams invariably (?) do HSP/HFP, monaural at 8000 Hz, I
> think uncompressed. That would be your Jabra BT 250v. Some but not
> all of the music headsets can switch protocols and have call control
> buttons for HFP; these are advertised as "works with Skype".

Right. Thats my understanding as well.

> So the Jabra is capable of doing the HSP protocol, and when the
> message says the protocol is "not available", the problem is likely
> not in the headset. Not likely that the headset is broken or has
> buggy firmware, but just for paranoia, it would be a good data point
> if the same message were seen with a different headset.

I can duplicate it with another headset here later...

> I've seen a similar message when I didn't have
> bluetoothd-service-audio configured to autostart and forgot to start
> it manually. Do you have the corresponding protocol/profile daemon
> running? I don't have my laptop handy to look up the name of this
> daemon but I think it's bluetoothd-service-sco. This is in
> bluez-utils-3.19 (3.20 is latest; probably came in at 3.16.)

bluetoothd-service-audio?

Yeah, seems to run fine, but makes no difference in the output. ;(

> Unfortunately that's about the limit of my expertise, since I haven't
> messed with the HSP/HFP feature of the Motorola HT-820 that I have.

Bummer. Thanks for helping out!

If anyone else has any ideas I would love to get this working...

kevin

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
(No filename) (314.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Johan Hedberg

On Oct 19, 2007, at 19:03, Jim Carter wrote:
> I've seen a similar message when I didn't have bluetoothd-service-
> audio
> configured to autostart and forgot to start it manually. Do you
> have the
> corresponding protocol/profile daemon running? I don't have my laptop
> handy to look up the name of this daemon but I think it's
> bluetoothd-service-sco.

Actually bluetoothd-service-audio takes care of both A2DP and HSP.
Unless you specified explicitly the profile to use in your .asoundrc
(e.g. "profile a2dp") the selection process goes as such that A2DP is
used if available and otherwise HSP.

Johan

by Jim Carter

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Jim Carter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > aplay or mplayer are talking to the ALSA device that uses the A2DP
> > profile. The phone app needs to use the device with the HFP profile.
>
> Humm... do all headsets do A2DP? I thought mine did not.

The ones with 2 earpieces and a mass of about 100 grams invariably (?) do
A2DP which transmits stereo at 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz, compressed with the
SBC codec. The single-ear ones with a mass of about 20 grams invariably
(?) do HSP/HFP, monaural at 8000 Hz, I think uncompressed. That would be
your Jabra BT 250v. Some but not all of the music headsets can switch
protocols and have call control buttons for HFP; these are advertised as
"works with Skype".

So the Jabra is capable of doing the HSP protocol, and when the message
says the protocol is "not available", the problem is likely not in the
headset. Not likely that the headset is broken or has buggy firmware, but
just for paranoia, it would be a good data point if the same message were
seen with a different headset.

I've seen a similar message when I didn't have bluetoothd-service-audio
configured to autostart and forgot to start it manually. Do you have the
corresponding protocol/profile daemon running? I don't have my laptop
handy to look up the name of this daemon but I think it's
bluetoothd-service-sco. This is in bluez-utils-3.19 (3.20 is latest;
probably came in at 3.16.)

Unfortunately that's about the limit of my expertise, since I haven't
messed with the HSP/HFP feature of the Motorola HT-820 that I have.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email protected] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)

by Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Carter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > I have setup my ~/.asoundrc.
> > I can play audio to my headset via mplayer or aplay fine.
> > When I try and set twinkle to use the ALSA bluetooth device it seems
> > like it opens the headset, and then it spits out:
> >
> > ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:417:(bluetooth_hsp_hw_params) Protocol not
> > available (92)
>
> aplay or mplayer are talking to the ALSA device that uses the A2DP
> profile. The phone app needs to use the device with the HFP profile.

Humm... do all headsets do A2DP? I thought mine did not.

> It looks like you got that set up in .asoundrc since a plausible
> subroutine is reporting the error. Next question: does your headset
> do HFP, or is it purely a music headset (A2DP)? Some headsets,
> including the Motorola HT820, will auto-switch, but I think not every
> music headset will do so. Hope this helps!

I am using a jabra BT 250v headset.
It's not a music headset.

I have a few more headsets I can dig up here to test with if you think
it's something with the jabra.

kevin

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
(No filename) (314.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Jim Carter

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> I have setup my ~/.asoundrc.
> I can play audio to my headset via mplayer or aplay fine.
> When I try and set twinkle to use the ALSA bluetooth device it seems
> like it opens the headset, and then it spits out:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:417:(bluetooth_hsp_hw_params) Protocol not
> available (92)

aplay or mplayer are talking to the ALSA device that uses the A2DP profile.
The phone app needs to use the device with the HFP profile. It looks like