2008-02-12 08:14:20

by mail

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Using multiple bluetooth devices or WLAN creates sluggish sound

Hello,

first of all I need to say, that it was really easy to set bluetooth
sound up in Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 with the instructions mentioned in the
Bluez wiki. I use a Voiis http://www.voiis.com Audio gateway and a Bluetooth
USB Dongle that is a class I device supporting Bluetooth v2.0 and the
A2DP-SRC protocol.

I got it paired and can hear music with amarok for example in a really
good quality over my Hifi-amp.
But whenever I load a webpage via WLAN there is a drop-out in the
music output. And when I try to use my Bluetooth mouse simultaneously
with music playback everything is over. Whenever I move the mouse the
music is totally paused until I stop moving the mouse.

Isn't bluetooth capable of supporting up to seven simultaneous
devices? Wasn't it fixed in Bluetooth 1.2 that WLAN interferes with
Bluetooth via Adaptive frequency hopping?

Is this a bug or can I somehow fix this behaviour.

Thank you for any advice.

by Jim Carter

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, [email protected] wrote:

> But whenever I load a webpage via WLAN there is a drop-out in the
> music output. And when I try to use my Bluetooth mouse simultaneously
> with music playback everything is over. Whenever I move the mouse the
> music is totally paused until I stop moving the mouse.
>
> Isn't bluetooth capable of supporting up to seven simultaneous
> devices? Wasn't it fixed in Bluetooth 1.2 that WLAN interferes with
> Bluetooth via Adaptive frequency hopping?

It certainly sounds like trashed packets are not being retransmitted, and
if the dongle does Bluetooth 2.0 I start wondering about the Volis audio
gateway. But my Russian isn't good enough to find the Bluetooth version
that it supports.

When I play music to headphones and Bluetooth 2.0 is used on both ends, I
have no trouble with interference from WiFi. However, this is on a laptop
machine with an internal Bluetooth transceiver that coordinates with WiFi
so only one transmits at a time and they avoid transmitting when the other
service expects a scheduled packet. (Dell Inspiron 6400 with Dell type 355
internal Bluetooth and Intel IWL3945abg WiFi.)

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email protected] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)