2006-05-02 19:15:47

by Jan Benes

Subject: [Bluez-devel] debugging apps using bluez under C

hello,
I've been trying to make this application I'm working on run for over
a month now. it doesn't do anything extraordinary, just scans for
devices and if appropriate devices are found, sends a file via OBEX.
The thing is I'm getting all kinds of different problems all the time
that are very hard to decypher. So I ask (for BlueZ), is there any
tool that can help me with figuring out if there's anything wrong with
the stakc? If I did something wrong? Or how am I supposed to know?

for example: It happend to me twice that my app. failed with a SDP
request and since then, all the requests failed as well (for some
time). How do I know what I did wrong?
another example: I inquire for devices (my previous posts) but it
takes longer than I specify in the parameter. I can't afford to wait
for 3 minutes till the inquiry is over, cause all the devices I've
found could be out of reach by then. Again, how am I to know what went
wrong? Also, I've noted that sometimes, the hci_inquiry function
returns immediately (some result caching i suppose, and yes, I tell
the func. to flush the cash).
last example: "I got a Software caused connection abort" error from
OBEX (which runs on top of the RFCOMM protocol afaik). What, how, no
documentation, google doesn't know either. What went wrong?

I study the sources, I study the other sources, I search all the
mailing lists I've found for the answer, but most of the time to no
avail.

1) how can I tell what went wrong, is there a diagnostic function in the st=
ack?
2) I don't mean to be impolite, but you should consider putting
together some documentation. I know you probably don't get paid for
this, you do it in your free time (I'm talking about the authors), but
that would really be a good idea. Just 10 lines of comments for each
function, is that too much to ask? Not that I couldn't imaigine what
function hci_inquiry does, but figuring out all the pitfalls (as many
already have I believe) is very tedious. I can offer my help (that's
not much considering my knowledge) with documentation if you want.

thanks, Jan

by Pedro Monjo Florit

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Re: debugging apps using bluez under C

Jan Benes escribi=F3:
> hello,
> I've been trying to make this application I'm working on run for over
> a month now. it doesn't do anything extraordinary, just scans for
> devices and if appropriate devices are found, sends a file via OBEX.
> The thing is I'm getting all kinds of different problems all the time
> that are very hard to decypher. So I ask (for BlueZ), is there any
> tool that can help me with figuring out if there's anything wrong with
> the stakc? If I did something wrong? Or how am I supposed to know?
>=20
> for example: It happend to me twice that my app. failed with a SDP
> request and since then, all the requests failed as well (for some
> time). How do I know what I did wrong?
> another example: I inquire for devices (my previous posts) but it
> takes longer than I specify in the parameter. I can't afford to wait
> for 3 minutes till the inquiry is over, cause all the devices I've
> found could be out of reach by then. Again, how am I to know what went
> wrong? Also, I've noted that sometimes, the hci_inquiry function
> returns immediately (some result caching i suppose, and yes, I tell
> the func. to flush the cash).
> last example: "I got a Software caused connection abort" error from
> OBEX (which runs on top of the RFCOMM protocol afaik). What, how, no
> documentation, google doesn't know either. What went wrong?
>=20
> I study the sources, I study the other sources, I search all the
> mailing lists I've found for the answer, but most of the time to no
> avail.
>=20
> 1) how can I tell what went wrong, is there a diagnostic function in th=
> stack?
> 2) I don't mean to be impolite, but you should consider putting
> together some documentation. I know you probably don't get paid for
> this, you do it in your free time (I'm talking about the authors), but
> that would really be a good idea. Just 10 lines of comments for each
> function, is that too much to ask? Not that I couldn't imaigine what
> function hci_inquiry does, but figuring out all the pitfalls (as many
> already have I believe) is very tedious. I can offer my help (that's
> not much considering my knowledge) with documentation if you want.
>=20
> thanks, Jan
>=20

Hi Jan,

>From my experience, some errors that you have shown seem to be normal
with the Bluetooth stack. Usually, trying later works. Remember that
Bluetooth is not TCP/IP. As a debugging tool, you can try recompiling
bluez in debug mode, so that it shows all kind of messages and you can
use gdb with it. I would also encourage you to use hcidump and patiently
analyze the logs it generates.

Cheers,

Pedro