2006-06-14 05:01:45

by Gloria Saripah Patara

Subject: how to get service name and how to connect through it

Hallo guys!!!!
i want to try to write some scratch code about how to get service name
from a certain phone (i.e xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) and how to connect
through it? what function should i use?

------------------------------------

2006-06-18 09:30:32

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jan,

> i've already written that but I must reiterate that the main
> reason people keep asking is that there's quite a big lack of
> documentation. Even if you just want to write a small utility, you
> have to study quite a lot of source code. Seems to me like some kind
> of sport or what under linux (I'm more of a Windows guy). Or that's my
> point of view at least. I know you try, to me writing a BlueZ app
> seemed much like building a new car from parts where my only reference
> is an already completed car. You can peak inside, see how they did it,
> but in the end, you have to do a lot of tweaking and trying of
> different combinations to make it work. And for example, I never got
> an answer to why the HCI scanning routine (and the hctitool utility =>
> BlueZ) ignores my timeout value...also, there's lots of error codes
> and nobody tells me what went wrong or why.

for this reason we spent quite some time to design the the BlueZ D-Bus
API. It makes it easy to do the basic tasks without knowing any details
about the BlueZ internals or Bluetooth internals like HCI. And you can
use it with C, C++, Python, Java, Mono etc.

Regards

Marcel

by Jan Benes

Hi Marcel and Gloria,
gloria, try also googling for "albert huang bluetooth" he's got some
useful stuff in his thesis.

marcel: i've already written that but I must reiterate that the main

On 6/17/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Gloria,
>
> stop cross posting. There is no need for it at all. Pick one mailing
> list.
>
> And don't include personal email addresses. You either get your answers
> on the mailing or you don't.
>
> Read this document first before you post the next time:

> > i want to try to write some scratch code about how to get service name
> > from a certain phone (i.e xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) and how to connect
> > through it? what function should i use?
>
> Check the source code of hcitool, sdptool and rfcomm.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann