2007-08-16 13:37:13

by Alok

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Help regarding TI's Bluetooth chips.

Hi,

I am working on bluetooth on OMAP 850(fsample) board.
The Bluetooth chip is BRF6150 2.12 FW 3.0.48.
The Host Control Interface used is UART.
I came across this post:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=200704301139.44842.ohad%40bencohen.org

I need to send a .bts to the BT chip for initialization.
I am using the following patch for it:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.devel/5168

I want to get a2dp up on this chip.

I had the following queries:

1. Is HCILL critical for TI's BT chips?

2. Has anyone tried a2dp on the brf63xx/brf61xx ? If so what is the
minimum baud rate that is required ?

3. I have currently selected the H4 driver. Do i need to select the bcsp
driver instead? What is the difference betweent the two?

Thanks,
Alok.

by Ohad Ben-Cohen

Hi Alok,

On 8/16/07, Alok <[email protected]> wrote:
> 1. Is HCILL critical for TI's BT chips?

No. HCILL is TI's runtime power management protocol. It is not mandatory;
In fact it is off by default and a special command must be sent to the chip
in order to turn it on (usually it is the last command in the .bts file).
We are currently working on merging the HCILL patches to mainline.
If you are interested, take a look at:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.devel/12071

> 2. Has anyone tried a2dp on the brf63xx/brf61xx ? If so what is the
> minimum baud rate that is required ?

A safe minimum value would be 460kbps (although there are some bitpool values
that will make even a baud rate of ~200-300kbps enough).

> 3. I have currently selected the H4 driver. Do i need to select the bcsp driver instead?

HCILL is just an extension of H4 (a few single-byte commands with which the chip
can announce its power state, and the host can wake it up).
When HCILL is off, the BRF chips speak plain H4, so If you don't want HCILL,
you should indeed use H4.
The BCSP is a communication protocol required for CSR BlueCore chips.
Don't use it.

All the best,
Ohad.