2004-12-20 11:24:18

by soraberri

Subject: [Bluez-devel] learning the basics

Hi!
This morning, in an attempt of auto-encourage myself, I thougth I was
going to be able to compile the l2test application by my own, only from
the l2test.c source and having all the required libraries properly
installed... Of course I couldn't (crying). My fatal sin is that I'm
learning programming, communications, bluetooth and Linux, all the same
time, and all the same way (you can see that way). I hope don't bother
you trying to justify myself of asking the following question:

?Could you give me some ligth in the points to consider while compiling
a user-made source like the l2test application? I want to do this way
only for learning pourposes, in order to glimpse a bit the whole picture.
I'm getting errors of type "undefined references" like the following

linking l2captest (libtool)
linking l2captest (gcc)
/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:222:
undefined reference to `strtoba'
l2captest.o(.text+0x680):/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:222:
undefined reference to `baswap'
/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:328:
undefined reference to `baswap'
l2captest.o(.text+0xb54):/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:329:
undefined reference to `batostr'
/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:643:
undefined reference to `hci_devba'
l2captest.o(.text+0x14df):/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:645:
undefined reference to `str2ba'
*** Exited with status: 2 ***

Theese functions are defined in bluetooth.h as you know. I thougth I
should link with the -L /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/kernel/net/bluetooth/
flag, but there is the same output.

So this is the point.

Thanks for your advices

by soraberri

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Re: learning the basics

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>This morning, in an attempt of auto-encourage myself, I thougth I was
>>going to be able to compile the l2test application by my own, only from
>>the l2test.c source and having all the required libraries properly
>>installed... Of course I couldn't (crying). My fatal sin is that I'm
>>learning programming, communications, bluetooth and Linux, all the same
>>time, and all the same way (you can see that way). I hope don't bother
>>you trying to justify myself of asking the following question:
>>
>>?Could you give me some ligth in the points to consider while compiling
>>a user-made source like the l2test application? I want to do this way
>>only for learning pourposes, in order to glimpse a bit the whole picture.
>>I'm getting errors of type "undefined references" like the following
>>
>>linking l2captest (libtool)
>>linking l2captest (gcc)
>>/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:222:
>>undefined reference to `strtoba'
>>l2captest.o(.text+0x680):/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:222:
>>undefined reference to `baswap'
>>/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:328:
>>undefined reference to `baswap'
>>l2captest.o(.text+0xb54):/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:329:
>>undefined reference to `batostr'
>>/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:643:
>>undefined reference to `hci_devba'
>>l2captest.o(.text+0x14df):/home/soraberri/Desarrollo/estudioC/l2captest/src/l2captest.c:645:
>>undefined reference to `str2ba'
>>*** Exited with status: 2 ***
>>
>>Theese functions are defined in bluetooth.h as you know. I thougth I
>>should link with the -L /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/kernel/net/bluetooth/
>>flag, but there is the same output.
>

> don't link anything against any kernel stuff from userspace. This will
> never work. I don't understand why don't you use --enable-test from the
> bluez-utils configure script. However what you are searching for is:
>
> gcc l2captest.c -o l2captest -lbluetooth
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Hi Marcel
Yes, I appreciate very much your answer. You've solved the whole of my
actual doubts. You said you didn't understand why I don't just use
--enable-test from the bluez-utils configure script. Well that's easy:
because I didn't know about the possibility. Anyway, it's helpful for me
in order to learn.
Thanks Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] learning the basics