2005-02-17 12:28:11

by Marcel Partap

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Re: possible to use phone itself as headset?

> From: Lars Grunewaldt <[email protected]>
> Bluetooth-alsa is about supporting the BT headset profile, and the phone
> won't implement it. Phones support the handsfree profile, you can find a
> link to two projects on our homepage that might be usefull, i.e.
> http://www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at/_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=ProjectBluezHandsfree
you're right, thx. And the link has this! It needs CVS sdp and stuff,
and I have no clue how to use it, but it seems to work.

From: soraberri <[email protected]>
> As far as I know, we would only need to implement headset profile in
> the phone side. I think this shouldn't be impossible, after all
> SymbianOS has public API for RFCOMM, L2CAP and SDP socket connection,
Nope, somebody has done it already. Look at the link Lars gave.
> and I think it is also possible to create SCO connections in a socket
> basis... So, what is the problem then? Even in the assumption that we
> managed to develop the headset profile I think NONE actual mobile
> phone would let us hook the audio streaming from/to the
> microphone/speaker to/into a SCO channel. It is physically posible, of
> course because the AudioGateway profile embedded in the phone just do
> it, but I'm afraid we have no public interface to get this
> functionality (I'm not Symbian developer, let's hope somebody tell
> this is not true!).
IIUC, not true. C link.

> Maybe phone manufacturers are too dependent on the Telephony Companies
> requirements to allow this nice functionality which would lead us
> without doubt to make VoIP calls from the phone if it detects the
> presence of the appropiate service running in our home's box.
Guess what. Think about it. Doom - for them. Goodbye to insane
telecommunication costs. KILLER linux feature. Wooooooooow, awesome ;==)
For that, please someone who can actually code talk to them, merge it
into bluez and so. As said, I have absolutely no clue how to just use
it, so I won't be even taking the time to compile it. I'll wait till
it's covered by the bluez-utils ebuild + deps. :==P

Oh yeah, stop.. all the euphory - but still the audio stream needs to be
grabbed without the /phone/ actually opening a connection. Hope this is
hackable.
so long guys.

by soraberri

Hi Marcel,
Maybe I haven't explain myself... I don't know what you have found at
the link Lars gave, I only see that there is a implementation of the
headset profile in BlueZ (so you could speak to the laptop and the
laptop would make a bluetooth link to the phone, which is connected to
the GSM network)... but what we need in order to use a phone as a
headset is not found in this link, at least I can't find it! :c)