2006-06-07 06:26:33

by Philip Langdale

Subject: Latest 2.6.16-mh1 patch.

Hi Marcel,

I just tried out the 2.6.16-mh1 patch and I'm seeing very laggy
behaviour with my mx5000 mouse. With the 2.6.15-mh2 modified to
remove the changes already in 2.6.16, I do not see this behaviour.

The interdiff is not huge but it's large enough that I can't
see the culprit at a glance.

--phil

2006-06-26 14:25:39

by Ulisses Furquim

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Latest 2.6.16-mh1 patch.

On 6/22/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> the upcoming Lisbon specification will take care of the missing
> possibility to see a changed link supervision timeout. However we might
> need to track the actual link supervision timeout for our connections.
> Can you try to come up with a patch for it?

We can get the link supervision timeout when the connection is
established (as we now do for the remote features), but I don't know
how we are suppose to track it if we don't receive a notification when
its value changes. It seems we don't have a _clean way_ of doing this
and we'll always have the possibility of using the wrong link
supervision timeout.

What do you think we should do? I'm wondering how often the link
supervision timeout changes and if we should assume that it won't
change after the connection is established (at least for now).

-- Ulisses

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mayank,

> Is it a new event or something that host will receive when the link
> supervision timeout changes?

the host will be informed when the remote side changes the link
supervision timeout. At the moment the host simply can't detect this.

Regards

Marcel

by Mayank Batra

Hi Marcel,

On 6/22/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Ulisses,
>
> > > this seems that you have to wait for the link supervision timeout on
> the
> > > host side. Play a little bit with it. If you turn off the Bluetooth
> chip
> >
> > Which reminds me of one thing I read in the specification: the
> > sniff_max_interval must be less than the link supervision timeout
> > parameter. I can't say for sure we are taking care of this. Marcel?
>
> the upcoming Lisbon specification will take care of the missing
> possibility to see a changed link supervision timeout.

What kind of feature is it?
Is it a new event or something that host will receive when the link
supervision timeout changes?

Regards,
Mayank

Attachments:
(No filename) (733.00 B)
(No filename) (1.09 kB)
(No filename) (299.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ulisses,

> > this seems that you have to wait for the link supervision timeout on the
> > host side. Play a little bit with it. If you turn off the Bluetooth chip
>
> Which reminds me of one thing I read in the specification: the
> sniff_max_interval must be less than the link supervision timeout
> parameter. I can't say for sure we are taking care of this. Marcel?

the upcoming Lisbon specification will take care of the missing
possibility to see a changed link supervision timeout. However we might
need to track the actual link supervision timeout for our connections.
Can you try to come up with a patch for it?

Regards

Marcel

by Ulisses Furquim

On 6/22/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> this seems that you have to wait for the link supervision timeout on the
> host side. Play a little bit with it. If you turn off the Bluetooth chip

Which reminds me of one thing I read in the specification: the
sniff_max_interval must be less than the link supervision timeout
parameter. I can't say for sure we are taking care of this. Marcel?

Best,

-- Ulisses

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Philip,

> I tried with 17-mh1 and the behaviour is not as bad. I only see one
> problem: If I turn off the mouse and then quickly turn it back on,
> the mouse doesn't work until the old connection times out on the host
> side. At that point, the mouse can reconnect and life returns to normal.
>
> Reconnecting after a timeout disconnect or after turning off and waiting
> for the host to clean up is no longer a problem.
>
> In the problem case, hcidump reports no incoming packets between when
> I turn off and on and when it reports the disconnect. Then I see the
> reconnect and new packets.
>
> It's obviously not a big problem.

this seems that you have to wait for the link supervision timeout on the
host side. Play a little bit with it. If you turn off the Bluetooth chip
in the mouse the host simply needs some time to detect this.

What kind of chip is in your mouse? Is it CSR or Broadcom based?

Regards

Marcel

by Philip Langdale

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>> I've been working with mh3 over the last couple of days and have
>> noticed another regression. The mouse no longer auto-reconnects
>> after being turned off and on or after it auto-disconnects due
>> to a timeout.
>>
>> This didn't happen with mh2.
>
> so it is the automatic sniff mode feature mode again. Please get me the
> hcidump when it times out and when it disconnects due to turned off. It
> might include something that gives me a clue, because right now, I have
> no idea why this might happen.

Marcel,

I tried with 17-mh1 and the behaviour is not as bad. I only see one
problem: If I turn off the mouse and then quickly turn it back on,
the mouse doesn't work until the old connection times out on the host
side. At that point, the mouse can reconnect and life returns to normal.

Reconnecting after a timeout disconnect or after turning off and waiting
for the host to clean up is no longer a problem.

In the problem case, hcidump reports no incoming packets between when
I turn off and on and when it reports the disconnect. Then I see the
reconnect and new packets.

It's obviously not a big problem.

--phil

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ulisses,

> > > I've been working with mh3 over the last couple of days and have
> > > noticed another regression. The mouse no longer auto-reconnects
> > > after being turned off and on or after it auto-disconnects due
> > > to a timeout.
> > >
> > > This didn't happen with mh2.
> >
> > so it is the automatic sniff mode feature mode again. Please get me the
> > hcidump when it times out and when it disconnects due to turned off. It
> > might include something that gives me a clue, because right now, I have
> > no idea why this might happen.
>
> Yeah, I have no clue either. I've just went through the patch again
> looking for something wrong related to the disconnect timer but
> everything seemed ok. :-(

I can't think of anything either, but maybe setting idle_timeout to 0
makes it work again.

Regards

Marcel

by Ulisses Furquim

Subject: Re: Latest 2.6.16-mh1 patch.

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
>>> okay. I released patch-2.6.16-mh2 with doesn't contain the automatic
>>> sniff mode feature anymore. Please check if your mouse is now working as
>>> expected.
>> Yep, that did the trick, but I hope you can get the two to play well
>> together.

Marcel,

I've been working with mh3 over the last couple of days and have
noticed another regression. The mouse no longer auto-reconnects
after being turned off and on or after it auto-disconnects due
to a timeout.

This didn't happen with mh2.

--phil

2006-06-12 15:14:38

by Philip Langdale

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
>>> okay. I released patch-2.6.16-mh2 with doesn't contain the automatic
>>> sniff mode feature anymore. Please check if your mouse is now working as
>>> expected.
>> Yep, that did the trick, but I hope you can get the two to play well
>> together.
>
> the attached patch on top of 2.6.16-mh1 should do the trick.

I tried mh3 (rather than mh1 + the patch - but I assume they're the
same). And it's working fine.

Thanks!

--phil

2006-06-10 03:59:01

by Philip Langdale

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> okay. I released patch-2.6.16-mh2 with doesn't contain the automatic
> sniff mode feature anymore. Please check if your mouse is now working as
> expected.

Yep, that did the trick, but I hope you can get the two to play well
together.

Thanks,

--phil

2006-06-08 21:56:57

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Philip,

> > I will look at it, but you might wanna try to disable the automatic
> > sniff mode and see if this helps at all. Simply call:
> >
> > echo 0 > /sys/class/bluetooth/hci0/idle_timeout
>
> I just tried this, and unfortunately it doesn't help.

okay. I released patch-2.6.16-mh2 with doesn't contain the automatic
sniff mode feature anymore. Please check if your mouse is now working as
expected.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Philip,

> > I will look at it, but you might wanna try to disable the automatic
> > sniff mode and see if this helps at all. Simply call:
> >
> > echo 0 > /sys/class/bluetooth/hci0/idle_timeout
>
> I just tried this, and unfortunately it doesn't help.

I actually don't saw any other change that justified this behavior. So
you have your patch working with 2.6.16, but mine is not. That is really
strange.

Run "hcidump -X -V" and let me check if it contains something unusual.

Regards

Marcel

by Philip Langdale

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I will look at it, but you might wanna try to disable the automatic
> sniff mode and see if this helps at all. Simply call:
>
> echo 0 > /sys/class/bluetooth/hci0/idle_timeout

I just tried this, and unfortunately it doesn't help.

Thanks,

--phil

2006-06-07 21:05:18

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Philip,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> so it seems that I messed up when porting the HID report mode. Please
> send me your modified 2.6.15-mh2 patch and I am going to take a look at
> it.

I have attached the patch. Based on the interdiff, I don't think there
are any changes in the HID report mode part but I could be wrong.

--phil

Attachments:
patch-2.6.16-mh0.gz (17.77 kB)

2006-06-07 07:15:31