2006-09-14 06:13:17

by Albert Huang

Subject: [Bluez-devel] are bluetooth specs no longer freely available?

As I've done in the past, last week I tried downloading a copy of the specs
from http://www.bluetooth.org/spec and found that I'm no longer allowed to
do so.

In the past, I've registered an individual level acccount on the website,
which then let me download most of the specs and profiles.

Now, it says:

The document you requested requires you to be a member of the group Adopters

Although Adopter membership is free, apparently only incorporated entities
are allowed membership. So it seems that individuals are not able to
download the specs from the bluetooth.org website...

Can anyone else confirm this? I tried filling in the contact form on the
bluetooth website, but don't expect a response (never get one)

-albert

Attachments:
(No filename) (731.00 B)
(No filename) (862.00 B)
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Simon,

> Thanks for the link, Marcel. I didn't find it. But what about the
> Generic Access Profile. Many other profiles refer to it, but I can't
> find it in the list. Did it become obsolete or has there been a name
> change? The JSR-82 (Java Bluetooth API) refers to it as well.

as far as I remember, GAP is still part of the core specification.

Regards

Marcel

by Simon Siemens

Thanks for the link, Marcel. I didn't find it. But what about the
Generic Access Profile. Many other profiles refer to it, but I can't
find it in the list. Did it become obsolete or has there been a name
change? The JSR-82 (Java Bluetooth API) refers to it as well.

Thanks, Simon

Marcel Holtmann schrieb:
> Hi Albert,
>

>> As I've done in the past, last week I tried downloading a copy of the
>> specs from http://www.bluetooth.org/spec and found that I'm no longer
>> allowed to do so.
>>
>> In the past, I've registered an individual level acccount on the
>> website, which then let me download most of the specs and profiles.
>>
>> Now, it says:
>>
>> The document you requested requires you to be a member of the group
>> Adopters
>>
>> Although Adopter membership is free, apparently only incorporated
>> entities are allowed membership. So it seems that individuals are not
>> able to download the specs from the bluetooth.org website...
>>
>> Can anyone else confirm this? I tried filling in the contact form on
>> the bluetooth website, but don't expect a response (never get one)
>>

> they are changing so many stuff, but Bluetooth is no longer a really
> open specification. You have to be an adopter to participate and that
> they killed the individual membership is totally stupid. They basically
> kicked out all Universities and students from access to early drafts of
> upcoming specifications. For the adopted specification you can use this
> link to download them:
>
> http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/Technology/Specifications/
>
> A small tip from my side. Keep all your old specifications, because they
> tend to remove access to old specifications if a new one has been
> released. So it is impossible to compare a new version to the old
> version of a specification. If you have products complying to the old
> specification, this is useful. Some changes are not obvious or they have
> been forgotten to mention in the new version.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Albert,