2006-07-24 10:00:39

by Yuriy Vikulov

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Database of MAC addresses

Hello!

Can anybody tell me if there is any database of mac addresses ( or some maskes),
which can be used to determine name of firm manufacture of phone. For example,
Sony erricson or Siemens. May be, Someone knows another way?

Thanks.
Yuriy

by Nelson Murilo

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Database of MAC addresses

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:08:43PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> However this doesn't mean that you can easily identify the
> phone manufacturer. It is simply not enough.

Yes, this is true.

Btw, blueprint[1] may can help Yuriy.

[1] - http://trifinite.org/trifinite_stuff_blueprinting.html

by A.M. Sabuncu

Yuriy,

The following link

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

is the IEEE registration authority for MAC addresses where you can do a
search or even download the entire database. But as Marcel mentions, it's
only good for the BT radio chip manufacturer, not the brand name of the
phone in which it is used.

Todd

On 7/24/06, Yuriy Vikulov <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Can anybody tell me if there is any database of mac addresses ( or some
> maskes),
> which can be used to determine name of firm manufacture of phone. For
> example,
> Sony erricson or Siemens. May be, Someone knows another way?
>
> Thanks.
> Yuriy

(No filename) (1.16 kB)
(No filename) (2.28 kB)
(No filename) (348.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Yuriy,

> Can anybody tell me if there is any database of mac addresses ( or some maskes),
> which can be used to determine name of firm manufacture of phone. For example,
> Sony erricson or Siemens. May be, Someone knows another way?

the first three byte of an address (the OUI part) are assigned by the
IEEE. If you provide /var/lib/misc/oui.txt a lot of BlueZ utilities
(including the new D-Bus API) will tell you the company name. However
this doesn't mean that you can easily identify the phone manufacturer.
It is simply not enough.

Regards

Marcel