2004-12-22 09:27:32

by Peter K. Martin

Subject: Conflict bluetooth and soundcard

Hi Marcel,
again thanks a lot for your help. The problem of the bt-connection to the
accesspoint seems to be solved. I have a littel additional question. There
seems to be a confict between dmabt and the soundcard. When the soundcard is
correctly installed, dmabt give the massage can't access bt-device. Then I
reboot linux with the bootoption ACPI=oldboot --> dmabt works without any
message and I'm able to reinstall the soundcard by YaST. But the next boot
without bootoption give the same result, so I can use either dmabt or
soundcard, They seem to use the same irq or dma-channel. How is this to be
changed for dmabt???

Regards
Peter

2004-12-22 12:57:52

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Conflict bluetooth and soundcard

Hi Peter,

> I'm using SuSE 9.2 with kernel 2.6.8-24.5 and recompiled dmabt but no
> positiv result. Again the message Can't access Toshiba device /dev/toshiba
> occured. Then soundcard is also uncorrectly installed but this is to be
> solved by YaST at Sound --> options --> reset all.
> But the target is to have both available dmabt (bluetooth-function on of
> Toshiba-notebook) and a usable soundcard (in windows it is using PCI-bus 0
> and irq 11). So, do you have an idea to solve this problem?

if I remember correctly then the SuSE 9.2 kernel is a 2.6.9-rc2 + extra
patches. The problem you are running in is not Bluetooth related. This
is a system one and most times it is ACPI and the IRQ routing. Since
dmabt and /dev/toshiba is not the right way to go you may a little bit
lost here. Everything must be done through ACPI, but you need to know
where's the on/off switch for Bluetooth in your ACPI tables.

> Why? Marcel Holtmann helped me very well to get the whole BT-function with
> AP started. I tried to get help from SuSE, but this is not really good.
> Sometimes they have heard something about bluetooth and BT on
> Toshiba-notebook is a story itself. So, I'm happy about help from
> bluez-users, especially as Bluez is part of the kernel of SuSE 9.2

As mentioned above this is not a BlueZ problem. Once your Bluetooth USB
adapter is activated everything is working. And as Michal mentioned it
is worth trying the latest vanilla kernel (2.6.10-rc3-bk15) available.
You must look out for ACPI and ALSA updates and try to find a way not
using dmabt to activate your Bluetooth module (toshiba_acpi maybe).

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Subject: Re: AW: [Bluez-users] Conflict bluetooth and soundcard

Dne st 22. prosince 2004 11:49 Peter K. Martin napsal(a):
> Hi Michal,
>
> ##>
> ##>Compile and use LATEST vanilla kernel 2.6.10-rc3 and let us
> ##>know about
> ##>success.
> ##>
>
> I'm using SuSE 9.2 with kernel 2.6.8-24.5 and recompiled dmabt but no
> positiv result. Again the message Can't access Toshiba device /dev/toshiba
> occured. Then soundcard is also uncorrectly installed but this is to be
> solved by YaST at Sound --> options --> reset all.
> But the target is to have both available dmabt (bluetooth-function on of
> Toshiba-notebook) and a usable soundcard (in windows it is using PCI-bus 0
> and irq 11). So, do you have an idea to solve this problem?

The most probably it is ACPI problem solved in newer version of kernel -
upgrade

> ##>We NEVER give help to users using vendor kernels.
> ##>
>
> Why? Marcel Holtmann helped me very well to get the whole BT-function with
> AP started. I tried to get help from SuSE, but this is not really good.
> Sometimes they have heard something about bluetooth and BT on
> Toshiba-notebook is a story itself. So, I'm happy about help from
> bluez-users, especially as Bluez is part of the kernel of SuSE 9.2
>
> So, PLEASE be so kind to help me in this case.

We offer help only to vanilla kernels and binaries compiled from source. We
try help users with vendor kernels, but when it don't work we always
recommend to upgrade to vanilla.
And most probably this si not BlueZ problem, but ACPI problem and ACPI was
upgraded in 2.6.9 and 2.6.10

Michal

by Peter K. Martin

Hi Michal,