2003-07-31 19:38:14

by MUSSON MICHAEL JOHN

Subject: [Bluez-users] CSR Firmware upgrade?

I have 2 USB dongles with CSR chips. The firmware on each is build
14.3 and 14.7. Is it possible to somehow obtain the most up-to-date
CSR firmware and upgrade these?

Regards,

Michael

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] CSR Firmware upgrade?

Hi Jose,

> Well, widcomm/csr firmware update tool doesn't allow you to update a dongle
> with a firmware meant for another brand dongle - I've tried to update my acer
> dongle with a msi firmware, and no go...
>
> As for firmwares, MSI updates the firmware frequently, but it is included in
> the full drivers package.

if you have MSI dongles with different firmware on it, please archive
them all and send them to me. I am also interested in the firmware files
from the drivers package. How much do you have?

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michael,

> I have 2 USB dongles with CSR chips. The firmware on each is build
> 14.3 and 14.7. Is it possible to somehow obtain the most up-to-date
> CSR firmware and upgrade these?

what kind of USB dongles are they? Please upload your firmware from the
dongles and send them to me with the output of "hciconfig -a".

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Nils,

> Just to stress the need, I would be very interested in this too!
> I also have several CSR based dongles around here, some older some
> newer.
> And since there are obviously some imporant differences in the firmware
> it would be really good beein able to update them.
>
> So if anyone from CSR is listening (I think there is at least one :)
> please consider putting the firmware up for public donwload somewhere
> and support the Linux Bluetooth Firware USB Update project.

the problem is not the loader. The problem is the firmware, because a
CSR firmware can be signed by the manufacturer and so you can only load
a firmware which is meant for your device. Search the mailing list
archive for a posting from Carl Orsborn regarding this.

Anyway I think some dongles can be loaded with the plain CSR firmware or
firmware files from other dongles. I already have started this project
you mention and the upload (archive) mode for firmware is already
working fine. Please check out

http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/btdfu-0.2.tar.gz

and send me your firmware files, so I can find out who really signs the
firmware and which companies does not.

Regards

Marcel

by Jose Bernardo Silva

Well, widcomm/csr firmware update tool doesn't allow you to update a dongle
with a firmware meant for another brand dongle - I've tried to update my acer
dongle with a msi firmware, and no go...

As for firmwares, MSI updates the firmware frequently, but it is included in
the full drivers package.

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
[email protected] | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
[email protected]

> Am Don, 2003-07-31 um 21.38 schrieb MUSSON MICHAEL JOHN:
> > I have 2 USB dongles with CSR chips. The firmware on each is build
> > 14.3 and 14.7. Is it possible to somehow obtain the most up-to-date
> > CSR firmware and upgrade these?
>
> Just to stress the need, I would be very interested in this too!
> I also have several CSR based dongles around here, some older some
> newer.
> And since there are obviously some imporant differences in the firmware
> it would be really good beein able to update them.
>
> So if anyone from CSR is listening (I think there is at least one :)
> please consider putting the firmware up for public donwload somewhere
> and support the Linux Bluetooth Firware USB Update project.
>
> Thanks for your attention :)
>
> > Regards,
> > Michael
> CU
> nils faerber
>
> --
> kernel concepts Tel: +49-271-771091-12
> Dreisbachstr. 24 Fax: +49-271-771091-19
> D-57250 Netphen D1 : +49-170-2729106

------- End of Original Message -------

by Nils Faerber

Am Don, 2003-07-31 um 21.38 schrieb MUSSON MICHAEL JOHN:
> I have 2 USB dongles with CSR chips. The firmware on each is build
> 14.3 and 14.7. Is it possible to somehow obtain the most up-to-date
> CSR firmware and upgrade these?

Just to stress the need, I would be very interested in this too!
I also have several CSR based dongles around here, some older some
newer.
And since there are obviously some imporant differences in the firmware
it would be really good beein able to update them.

So if anyone from CSR is listening (I think there is at least one :)
please consider putting the firmware up for public donwload somewhere
and support the Linux Bluetooth Firware USB Update project.

Thanks for your attention :)

> Regards,
> Michael
CU