2004-01-09 13:49:02

by Christoph Scholz

Subject: [Bluez-users] Problems with Bridging and PAN Profile

Hi all,

I am experiencing problems with the Linux transparent bridge
implementation combined with BlueZ. Probably it is not BlueZ' fault but
related. Just wanted to know if someone else knows about this problem.

I used a very simple PAN scenario with one master (GN) and two slaves
(PANU). The GN runs a Linux bridge and the individual devices for the
slaves are added to the bridge by using the "/etc/bluetooth/pan/dev-up"
script. All similar to the PAN Howto.

After establishing the two connections everything works fine. But after
disconnecting the first slave (the one that was connected to the master
first) communication between the master and the remaining slave does not
work any more. Closer investigation shows that the failure is found in
the bridge device that does not accept the received frames any more.
Interestingly, when runing tcpdump on the bridged device everything
seems to work fine again. This is probably due to the bridge device
entering promiscuous mode. Probably, the problem is related to the
following message found in /var/log/messages:

"bnep1: attempt to add interface with same source address."

This is due to the fact that all the bnep interfaces own the same MAC
address (= BD_ADDR of the Bluetooth device).

It seems the Linux bridge does not work reliably with duplicate mac
addresses on its interface.

Does anyone of you experienced similar problems? Any ideas on how to
resolve this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Christoph
--
Christoph Scholz <[email protected]>
University of Bonn, Institut of Computer Science IV

by Fredrik Noring

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your reply.

> Which kind of USB-driver do you use? I also had problems with "uhci".
> These were gone after switching to "usb-uhci".

It's "usb-uhci" on the Fedora box and "usb-ohci" on the other.

As suggested by Laszlo in another post, I've recompiled the Bluetooth
related kernel modules and disabled the "sco" module as well as "BNEP
multicast filter support", "BNEP protocol filter support" and "USB zero
packet support" and other unneeded Bluetooth features. It still appears
unstable, but perhaps differently.

The following "hci_acl_tx_to" messages popped up in /var/log/messages
about the time the connection was lost during a recent test:

divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device bnep0
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
divert: no divert_blk to free, bnep0 not ethernet
divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device bnep0
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
? hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
? hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection A8:C4:2A:C9:03:00
divert: no divert_blk to free, bnep0 not ethernet

Unplugging and replugging the Bluetooth USB device and reinitialising
with "pand --connect xxx" etc. gave a much more stable connection.

Are your PAN connections always stable? Do they survive temporarily
moving out of range too? (I haven't tested this yet...)

Thanks,
Fredrik

by Christoph Scholz

Hi Fredrik,

Actually, the problems I experienced are different since the PAN
connection works flawlessly. It is only the Linux bridge device that
does not seem to handle multiple interfaces with the same source MAC
address very well.