2004-06-20 18:52:03

by Vesa Halttunen

Subject: [Bluez-users] Jerky MX900 mouse movement with 2.6.7-mh1, hidp and hidd

Hi,

I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop Bluetooth (an MX900 mouse and an
Elite keyboard). Earlier I used them in HCI mode by using hid2hci, hcid
and bthid but Marcelo Holtmann hinted it might be a good idea to
try the hidp kernel module and hidd instead.

I'm now running kernel 2.6.7-mh1 and I have the hidp module loaded and
hidd running. The keyboard works fine but mouse movement is very jerky.
There pointer lags behind and stops for approximately 100ms (or
whatever) every 0.5 seconds. This happens both on the console with GPM
and in X.

What might be the problem? The mouse movement was smooth with bthid.
To get things up and running I'm modprobing uhci-hcd, bluetooth and
hidp, uinput and hci_usb, then running hid2hci, bringing hci0 up with
hciconfig hci0 up and finally starting hidd with hidd -i hci0 --server.

The system is a hyperthreaded P4 system running on a i865 motherboard.
Hidp vermagic says 2.6.7-mh1 SMP preempt PENTIUM4 gcc-3.4.

Regards,

-Vesa
--
? Vesa Halttunen - http://www.jormas.com/~vesuri/ ?

by Vesa Halttunen

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 00:40, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > I'm now running kernel 2.6.7-mh1 and I have the hidp module loaded and
> > hidd running. The keyboard works fine but mouse movement is very jerky.
> > There pointer lags behind and stops for approximately 100ms (or
> > whatever) every 0.5 seconds. This happens both on the console with GPM
> > and in X.
> Do you enabled role switch and sniff mode support?

No, I didn't. Should I, and if so, how?

> Show us the output of "hciconfig -a".

Here goes (BD addresses removed :)

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: ..:..:..:..:..:.. ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:289613 acl:17357 sco:0 events:121 errors:0
TX bytes:1569 acl:60 sco:0 commands:26 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy:
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x000000
Service Classes: Unspecified
Device Class: Miscellaneous,
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x34e LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver:
0x34e
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

For the mouse hcitool info gives me:

Requesting information ...
BD Address: ..:..:..:..:..:..
Device Name: Logitech MX900 Mouse
LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x350
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
Features: 0xfc 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
switch>
quality>
<SCO link> <HV2 packets> <HV3 packets> <u-law log>
<A-law log>
<CVSD> <paging scheme> <power control> <transparent SCO>

-Vesa
--
? Vesa Halttunen - http://www.jormas.com/~vesuri/ ?

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Vesa,

> I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop Bluetooth (an MX900 mouse and an
> Elite keyboard). Earlier I used them in HCI mode by using hid2hci, hcid
> and bthid but Marcelo Holtmann hinted it might be a good idea to
> try the hidp kernel module and hidd instead.
>
> I'm now running kernel 2.6.7-mh1 and I have the hidp module loaded and
> hidd running. The keyboard works fine but mouse movement is very jerky.
> There pointer lags behind and stops for approximately 100ms (or
> whatever) every 0.5 seconds. This happens both on the console with GPM
> and in X.
>
> What might be the problem? The mouse movement was smooth with bthid.
> To get things up and running I'm modprobing uhci-hcd, bluetooth and
> hidp, uinput and hci_usb, then running hid2hci, bringing hci0 up with
> hciconfig hci0 up and finally starting hidd with hidd -i hci0 --server.

the combination of hidp + hidd works much better for me than bthid and I
wrote both implementations. Do you enabled role switch and sniff mode
support? Show us the output of "hciconfig -a".

Regards

Marcel