2004-11-12 11:57:53

by Edd Dumbill

Subject: [Bluez-users] Debian testing required: bcm203x firmware

This is a request to Debian (unstable) users of BlueZ:

I've uploaded a set of packages to
http://bluez.sourceforge.net/download/debian/ that now contains two new
packages:

bluez-bcm203x - firmware loader for Broadcom BCM203x based dongles
bluez-bcm203x-firmware - firmware files

I'm looking for users with 2.4 series kernels to install these packages
and test that initialisation of their BCM203x based dongles work fine
please.

(Kernel 2.6 users only need the -firmware package.)

If we hurry we'll be able to get this support into sarge and I can
upload the firmware to non-free.

thanks

-- Edd

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Edd,

> > What is stronger from the Debian package view. Suggested or
> > Recommended?
>=20
> Recommended. So Suggests bluez-firmware is as strong as I can get
> without necessitating the move to contrib.
>=20
> See =A72.2 of http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Regards

Marcel

by Edd Dumbill

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 20:01 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>=20
> What is stronger from the Debian package view. Suggested or
> Recommended?

Recommended. So Suggests bluez-firmware is as strong as I can get
without necessitating the move to contrib.

See =C2=A72.2 of http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html

-- Edd

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Edd,

> > > OK, I renamed it to bluez-firmware and changed the location back
> > > to /lib/firmware. bluez-utils-2.10-4 also updated to reference the
> > > right firmware package name.
> >
> > the bluez-bcm203x package cannot depend on the non-free bluez-firmware
> > package, right?
>
> Right, or all of bluez-utils would have to go in contrib.

I thought so :(

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 18:55 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Edd,

> > OK, I renamed it to bluez-firmware and changed the location back
> > to /lib/firmware. bluez-utils-2.10-4 also updated to reference the
> > right firmware package name.
>
> the bluez-bcm203x package cannot depend on the non-free bluez-firmware
> package, right?

Right, or all of bluez-utils would have to go in contrib.

-- Edd

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Edd,

> > > the firmware files are in the wrong place. You are using the old
> > > directory. They must be under /lib/firmware/.
>
> OK, I renamed it to bluez-firmware and changed the location back
> to /lib/firmware. bluez-utils-2.10-4 also updated to reference the
> right firmware package name.

the bluez-bcm203x package cannot depend on the non-free bluez-firmware
package, right?

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Edd,

> > the firmware files are in the wrong place. You are using the old
> > directory. They must be under /lib/firmware/.
>
> Ah yes, I see that now.
>
> I still tend to think it'd be better to have everything
> under /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware, but I understand your reasons, so I'll
> change this back.

we agreed on this change some time ago. It is official now and Fedora
Core 3 allows only this path while Debian and SuSE also accepts firmware
files in the old one.

> > Actually I would prefer to have bluez-bcm203x and bluez-firmware,
> > because I try to get the AVM and 3Com firmware also into this package.
> > This also avoids that people install bluez-bcm203x for their 2.6 kernel
> > even if they don't need it. The naming leads to that.
>
> OK, I didn't know you planned other firmwares. I have no problem with
> doing that rename.

I must resolve the legal issues first, but my plan is to keep all
firmwares in one place.

> > And btw what does it take to get a virtual packages called bluez that
> > installs all the needed BlueZ packages?
>
> I can do that too. Should it include the bcm203x firmware loader or
> not?

Please don't and also please don't suggest the installation of it. This
bcm203x tool is a relict for some people that are stuck to 2.4 and the
old Broadcom chips. Actually it seems that Broadcom gave up this chips
and the newer ones are storing the firmware in flash. Maybe you can pop
up a warning message when they install bluez-bcm203x like the lm-sensors
packages do.

Regards

Marcel

by Edd Dumbill

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 13:52 +0000, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 13:13 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > the firmware files are in the wrong place. You are using the old
> > directory. They must be under /lib/firmware/.

OK, I renamed it to bluez-firmware and changed the location back
to /lib/firmware. bluez-utils-2.10-4 also updated to reference the
right firmware package name.

Debian users: please re-test!

-- Edd

by Edd Dumbill