2004-12-22 16:16:54

by Andreas Millinger

Subject: [Bluez-users] 3com bluetooth card

Hello,

I have bought a 3com bluetooth card Version 3. How can I use it? I have
Suse 9.2 on my Laptop. I read that I must use hciattach. But which
parameter do I have to use (dev, speed, ...)? Do I have to change the
bluetooth.conf in /etc/pcmcia/ ? I didnt find the card there. And if
yes, what do I have to write? Is there a howto for this? I searched the
mailinglist and the Internet, but I didn't find a answer.

best regards
Andreas

by Jay W. Summet

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] 3com bluetooth card

1) Is it a serial device (I think so)?
1a) Does the kernel/pcmcia subsystem recognize it as a serial device, and
add a /dev/ttyS<x> entry for it?
-try (as root) "tail -f /var/log/messages" and watch the output as
you plug the card in. Does it bind to a specific tty? (When I plug
my PCMCIA card in, the kernel assigns it to /dev/ttyS4.)
2) If it's recognized as a serial port, try "hciattach /dev/ttyS<x> any"
(where <x> is replaced by the specific number assigned by your kernel.
-I'm on a windows box, and can't remember if the 3com card is discussed
in the man page or not. For my Zoom card I use "hciattach
/dev/ttyS4 bcsp". Keep watching the tail of /var/log/messages and
see if an error occurs.
3) Be sure to start up the rest of the bluetooth subsystem. (On my
Mandrake box, this is easy "service bluetooth start", many other
distributions use the same init script system, so it's likely to work for
you too...) [I don't believe that it matters if you do this before or
after you insert the card.

Jay