2005-01-20 15:59:09

by Bryan Forbes

Subject: [Bluez-users] Microsoft BT Dongle and other questions

I've been monitoring this list for about a week or two (since I got
an internal bluetooth module installed in my iBook) and have had a few
of my questions answered already (like why the scrollwheel on my
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth doesn't work), but I still
have a few questions.
First of all (this isn't really a question), since I have an
internal bluetooth module, I have a Microsoft bluetooth dongle that is
of no use to me, so I would be able to send it to you, Marcel. Let me
know how to get it to you and I'll send it.
Ok, now for the questions:
1. Is there a way to turn off the internal bluetooth adapter from
apple? I know it sounds stupid, but there is a good reason: When I'm on
battery power, I've noticed that my battery has been draining faster
since I got the adapter. I don't use bluetooth all the time, so when
I'm not using it I'd like to get the most out of my battery.
2. Have the developers taken into account sleeping/resuming? I've
noticed that when I sleep my laptop, I have to shut down the bluetooth
services before-hand in order to get the adapter to work after resume.
Shouldn't this be handled internally?

I'm completely new to bluetooth, so I may not be understanding some
things correctly. If so, please let me know :). Thanks in advance!

Bryan Forbes
[email protected]
http://www.reigndropsfall.net

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless
minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
- Samuel Adams, an architect of the Constitution

Key fingerprint = 3D7D B728 713A BB7B B8B1 5B61 3888 17E0 70CA 0F3D

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-01-20 18:50:55

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Bryan,

> > If this is the new 2.0 version then I am interested. Otherwise it is
> > useless, because I already have two of the older ones. What does lsusb
> > tell me about your dongle?
>
> This is definately the 2.0 version. It says "Transiever for Bluetooth
> 2.0" on the back of it.

then I am interested in it, because this dongle is still not working as
it should be. You will get my postal address in a private email.

> > I didn't had time to look at the suspend/resume support. On some
> > machines it work and on some it don't.
>
> How hard would it be to put this support in for the next patch cycle?

I don't know, because I didn't looked deep enough into it. However any
patch welcome.

Regards

Marcel

by Bryan Forbes

Marcel,
> [snip]
> If this is the new 2.0 version then I am interested. Otherwise it is
> useless, because I already have two of the older ones. What does lsusb
> tell me about your dongle?

This is definately the 2.0 version. It says "Transiever for Bluetooth
2.0" on the back of it.

> [snip]
> Maybe should do a "hciconfig hci0 noscan" to disable inquiry and page
> scan. This should save battery power. If you don't need this dongle at
> all you can load the hci_usb driver with "ignore=1" (maybe a newer
> kernel is needed).
>
> The PC notebooks have a hardware switch to physical disconnect the
> device from the USB bus. I don't know if a similar thing exists on the
> Apple machines.

I'll try this, thanks!

> [snip]
> I didn't had time to look at the suspend/resume support. On some
> machines it work and on some it don't.

How hard would it be to put this support in for the next patch cycle?

Bryan Forbes
[email protected]
http://www.reigndropsfall.net

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless
minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
- Samuel Adams, an architect of the Constitution

Key fingerprint = 3D7D B728 713A BB7B B8B1 5B61 3888 17E0 70CA 0F3D

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-01-20 18:21:18