2005-01-25 19:38:15

by Charles Bueche

Subject: [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic

Hi,

[once again with the correct "From:", sorry if it appear twice]

I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 with patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz. My hardware is a
Logitech MX900 mouse and a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a CSR chip :

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:10:C6:22:54:AF ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:113629 acl:7992 sco:0 events:88 errors:0
TX bytes:1043 acl:24 sco:0 commands:42 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'laptopcb (0)'
Class: 0x100100
Service Classes: Object Transfer
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x235 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x235
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

I'm not using the mouse bluetooth dock for any connection (only battery

Often, after unpacking my laptop and MX900 mouse from its bag, the mouse
appear to "hang". The laptop doesn't see it, and I have to open the
mouse battery location and quickly unplug one battery to reset the
mouse. After this treatment, the mouse announce itself and the laptop
sees it and create the devices with udev.

The problem happen about 1/4 of the time when unpacking the laptop, but
in a systematic way after a reboot (eg after upgrading my kernel). I
never boot my laptop under Windows, and I never use the mouse with other
machines. The "connect" button has no effect.

The problem has be present since a long time and several kernels and
bluez patches, maybe since always.

It would only be annoying, but the battery door of my mouse is starting
to present a bad shape after openning it with just about all the tools
that fits it, including cisors.

Any hint welcome.

TIA,
Charles

--
Charles Bueche <[email protected]>
sand, snow, wave, wind and net -surfer

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic

Hi Charles,

> I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 with patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz. My hardware is a
> Logitech MX900 mouse and a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a CSR chip :
>
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:10:C6:22:54:AF ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:113629 acl:7992 sco:0 events:88 errors:0
> TX bytes:1043 acl:24 sco:0 commands:42 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'laptopcb (0)'
> Class: 0x100100
> Service Classes: Object Transfer
> Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x235 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x235
> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> I'm not using the mouse bluetooth dock for any connection (only battery
>
> Often, after unpacking my laptop and MX900 mouse from its bag, the mouse
> appear to "hang". The laptop doesn't see it, and I have to open the
> mouse battery location and quickly unplug one battery to reset the
> mouse. After this treatment, the mouse announce itself and the laptop
> sees it and create the devices with udev.
>
> The problem happen about 1/4 of the time when unpacking the laptop, but
> in a systematic way after a reboot (eg after upgrading my kernel). I
> never boot my laptop under Windows, and I never use the mouse with other
> machines. The "connect" button has no effect.
>
> The problem has be present since a long time and several kernels and
> bluez patches, maybe since always.
>
> It would only be annoying, but the battery door of my mouse is starting
> to present a bad shape after openning it with just about all the tools
> that fits it, including cisors.

I have no idea what the problem is, but I assume that it is because of
the reconnect feature of the mouse. I will always try to reconnect when
you move your bag and after some failed retries it may deadlock itself.

On the other hand there is maybe a small race when you shutdown the
machine and disconnect every device. May a "hciconfig hci0 noscan"
before calling "hidd -K" will help.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Charles,

> sorry for the long time before answering, I wanted to be sure the
> problem is really fixed.
>
> Apart from the good remarks about the MX900 design error (lack of a
> power-switch), the best suggestion came from Marcel :
>
> Doing this :
>
> /usr/sbin/hciconfig hci0 noscan
> /usr/bin/hidd --killall
>
> at shutdown time avoids the problem, not a single mouse deadlock anymore
> since one week.
>
> Thanks for you suggestions. I shall update my MX900 web page rsn.

if this works, then this should be inside the Bluetooth init scripts or
inside the hidd with a special option like --shutdown or so.

Regards

Marcel

by Charles Bueche

Hi all,