2005-03-18 17:33:07

by Mattias Arrelid

Subject: [Bluez-users] DiNovo and bluetooth-hub functionality

Hi everyone,

Let me start with saying that I only have been on a Linux system for
about 2 days, so please forgive me if I have made clumpsy assumptions or
similar.

However, I'm running Ubuntu Linux 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog). I also got a
DiNovo set from Logitech that has been running fine since install. Now
I'd like to connect my phone to the computer for file exchange/sync and
it doesn't seem to be anything else to do than manually adjusting things
to get everything up and running.

I've installed all BlueZ-packages for Ubuntu using apt-get (graphical
version).

I can now, after having logged in at my computer using an extra keyboard
(connected on ps/2) do the following commands (sudo because of my using
of Ubuntu, won't have priviligies else);

1. sudo hid2hci
2. hcid
3. sdpd
4. hidd --server
5. sudo hidd --search

Now, my mouse, keyboard and mediapad gets connected and everything works
ok. My problem is that I would like this to be done automatically when I
start up my computer (in other words; start up bluetooth functionality
and let me use my bluetooth devices). Maybe the above can be done in
another way, I'm really a newbie trying to get it all together. It would
also be nice if I in Nautilus could view my bluetooth neighborhood using
"bluetooth:///" or something.

Thansk for any suggestions.

/ Mattias

Please, I'm totally stuck and I cannot seem to find a solution to my
problem. What can I do to solve this? Tried searching the archives for a
similar problem but I cannot figure out how to search for a specific
phrase (just searching on "HCI mode failed" gives me tons of not so
relevant answers, even when forcing requirment of all words).

Thanks in advance / Mattias

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Matthias,

> Now, I have logged in as root instead and tried to run all those
> commands. Still, everything works, but I sure would like to find out
> where that init script is. Is there a way I can do find it manually? And
> then install it manually?
>
> I'm going to try to remove all Bluez-stuff with apt-get as root, and
> then reinstalling them again, just to make sure that the script wasn't
> included from the beginning (maybe it couldn't be created?).

it is in the bluez-utils source tarball, but maybe the Ubuntu package
maintainer was too lazy. The init script is not installed by default,
because every distribution provides its own.

Regards

Marcel

by Mattias Arrelid

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your fast reply.

Now, I have logged in as root instead and tried to run all those
commands. Still, everything works, but I sure would like to find out
where that init script is. Is there a way I can do find it manually? And
then install it manually?

I'm going to try to remove all Bluez-stuff with apt-get as root, and
then reinstalling them again, just to make sure that the script wasn't
included from the beginning (maybe it couldn't be created?).

Thanks in advance / Mattias

> Hi Mattias,
>
> > Let me start with saying that I only have been on a Linux system for
> > about 2 days, so please forgive me if I have made clumpsy assumptions or
> > similar.
> >
> > However, I'm running Ubuntu Linux 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog). I also got a
> > DiNovo set from Logitech that has been running fine since install. Now
> > I'd like to connect my phone to the computer for file exchange/sync and
> > it doesn't seem to be anything else to do than manually adjusting things
> > to get everything up and running.
> >
> > I've installed all BlueZ-packages for Ubuntu using apt-get (graphical
> > version).
> >
> > I can now, after having logged in at my computer using an extra keyboard
> > (connected on ps/2) do the following commands (sudo because of my using
> > of Ubuntu, won't have priviligies else);
> >
> > 1. sudo hid2hci
> > 2. hcid
> > 3. sdpd
> > 4. hidd --server
> > 5. sudo hidd --search
>
> you should run all of them as root. The "hidd --search" should btw only
> be needed once.
>
> > Now, my mouse, keyboard and mediapad gets connected and everything works
> > ok. My problem is that I would like this to be done automatically when I
> > start up my computer (in other words; start up bluetooth functionality
> > and let me use my bluetooth devices). Maybe the above can be done in
> > another way, I'm really a newbie trying to get it all together. It would
> > also be nice if I in Nautilus could view my bluetooth neighborhood using
> > "bluetooth:///" or something.
>
> You should talk to the Ubuntu package maintainer of the bluez-utils
> package, because it includes a boot script for this task.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mattias,