2005-03-28 16:18:26

by Marco Trudel

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] getting bluetooth v1.2

so it doesn't mather that i've a silicon dongle?
(i need the bt v1.2 only because the rssi inquiry)
or isn't it a silicon one?

what is now the procedure?
- getting the btdfu program
- fix it (Adam Goode told how)
- download the 18.x firmware. where can i get it?
- install it...

regards
Marco

> Hi Marco,
>
> > > check with "hciconfig hci0 revision" as root what BlueCore chip is on
> it
> > > and no, these are not the problematic dongles.
> >
> > it's a BlueCore02

> > > What does "lsusb" tells you?
> >
> > it think you mean this line:
> > Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
> Dongle
>
> and if this chip now contains 8 Mbit flash you get a good chance to
> upgrade it with HCI 18.x firmware and so get Bluetooth 1.2 support.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Handyrechnung zu hoch? Tipp: SMS und MMS mit GMX
Seien Sie so frei: Alle Infos unter http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freesms

by CIJOML

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] getting bluetooth v1.2, success report

Dne =FAt 29. b=F8ezna 2005 12:22 Marco Trudel napsal(a):
> Michal Semler wrote:
> > Dne =FAt 29. b=F8ezna 2005 10:07 Marco Trudel napsal(a):
> >>Hello
> >>
> >>I downloaded the Bluetooth Firmware Updater from apple, putted my dongle
> >>into the apple and run the updater. everything went perfectly fine...
> >>i now have Build 1586 (HCI 18.2) and Bluetooth 1.2... nice!
> >
> > Download it from dongle via btdfu - then it should have right timing.
>
> I have no idea what you mean with this...
>
> >>If someone has no mac operating system and is interested in the
> >>GenericCSR.dfu, I can email it.
> >
> > We all have it :)
>
> no. not everyone has it.
> maybe you already have it...
>
> >>My last questions (hopefully) regarding this topic now are:
> >>- What is dangerous about updating the dongle?
> >>the procedure itself? only the linux btdfu tool (secure with mac)?
> >
> > you can destroy it, but now are all dongles very cheap
>
> So the procedure itself is dangerous...
>
> >>- Widcomm delivers update-software too, will/should this work too with
> >> the GenericCSR.dfu?
> >
> > We know nothing about this software - it should be better then Marcel's
> > btdfu, coz they have specifications
> >
> >>- I now have to run hid2hci every time after I plug the dongle in (than=
ks
> >>for the info marcel). What is this exactly doing, why is it necessary?
> >
> > yes, it is
>
> I know that it is, I wrote that.
> My question was why it is necessary and what it's doing...

It simply switch dongle from hid proxy mode to hci mode - for nearer=20
informations see mailing list history. We discussed it many times.

> >>- doing hid2hci I get:
> >>Switching device 0a12:1000 to HCI mode failed (Invalid or incomplete
> >>multibyte or wide character)
> >>but everything's fine after that. is this a problem? why the error?
> >
> > error somewhere in usb subsystem - contact usb guys
>
> regards
> Marco
>
> Content Security by MailMarshal

=2D-=20
S pozdravem

Michal Semler

by Marco Trudel

Dne =FAt 29. b=F8ezna 2005 12:16 Marcel Holtmann napsal(a):
> Hi Marco,
>
> > My last questions (hopefully) regarding this topic now are:
> > - What is dangerous about updating the dongle?
> > the procedure itself? only the linux btdfu tool (secure with mac)?
>
> this depends on. Not all firmwares will fit into every dongle. However
> we discussed this quite often and there is also a statement from a CSR
> in the mailing list archive about it.
>
> > - Widcomm delivers update-software too, will/should this work too with
> > the GenericCSR.dfu?
>
> Never tested, but in general it should do the same job.
>
> > - I now have to run hid2hci every time after I plug the dongle in (than=
ks
> > for the info marcel). What is this exactly doing, why is it necessary?
>
> You get a USB dongle with HID proxy support. Look at the mailing list
> archive for more details on what this is.
>
> > - doing hid2hci I get:
> > Switching device 0a12:1000 to HCI mode failed (Invalid or incomplete
> > multibyte or wide character)
> > but everything's fine after that. is this a problem? why the error?
>
> I thought this was fixed, but in general you can ignore the error.

It wasn't fixed. I see this error too.

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Michal

=2D-=20
S pozdravem

Michal Semler

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Marco,

> My last questions (hopefully) regarding this topic now are:
> - What is dangerous about updating the dongle?
> the procedure itself? only the linux btdfu tool (secure with mac)?

this depends on. Not all firmwares will fit into every dongle. However
we discussed this quite often and there is also a statement from a CSR
in the mailing list archive about it.

> - Widcomm delivers update-software too, will/should this work too with the
> GenericCSR.dfu?

Never tested, but in general it should do the same job.

> - I now have to run hid2hci every time after I plug the dongle in (thanks
> for the info marcel). What is this exactly doing, why is it necessary?

You get a USB dongle with HID proxy support. Look at the mailing list
archive for more details on what this is.

> - doing hid2hci I get:
> Switching device 0a12:1000 to HCI mode failed (Invalid or incomplete
> multibyte or wide character)
> but everything's fine after that. is this a problem? why the error?

I thought this was fixed, but in general you can ignore the error.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Dne =FAt 29. b=F8ezna 2005 10:07 Marco Trudel napsal(a):
> Hello
>
> I downloaded the Bluetooth Firmware Updater from apple, putted my dongle
> into the apple and run the updater. everything went perfectly fine...
> i now have Build 1586 (HCI 18.2) and Bluetooth 1.2... nice!

Download it from dongle via btdfu - then it should have right timing.

> If someone has no mac operating system and is interested in the
> GenericCSR.dfu, I can email it.

We all have it :)

> My last questions (hopefully) regarding this topic now are:
> - What is dangerous about updating the dongle?
> the procedure itself? only the linux btdfu tool (secure with mac)?

you can destroy it, but now are all dongles very cheap

> - Widcomm delivers update-software too, will/should this work too with the
> GenericCSR.dfu?

We know nothing about this software - it should be better then Marcel's btd=
fu,=20
coz they have specifications

> - I now have to run hid2hci every time after I plug the dongle in (thanks
> for the info marcel). What is this exactly doing, why is it necessary?

yes, it is

> - doing hid2hci I get:
> Switching device 0a12:1000 to HCI mode failed (Invalid or incomplete
> multibyte or wide character)
> but everything's fine after that. is this a problem? why the error?

error somewhere in usb subsystem - contact usb guys

> Thanks for all your hints and help!
>
> regards
> Marco

Michal

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>

>>Yes, the "if you are lucky" part is very important. The one-line patch
>>may look simple, but it took a LONG time of experimenting to figure it
>>out!
>

> you can also make your dongle unusable when you try the wrong firmware
> or if the btdfu aborts at the wrong time, because of a timeout.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Content Security by MailMarshal

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Adam,

> Yes, the "if you are lucky" part is very important. The one-line patch
> may look simple, but it took a LONG time of experimenting to figure it
> out!

you can also make your dongle unusable when you try the wrong firmware
or if the btdfu aborts at the wrong time, because of a timeout.

Regards

Marcel

by Adam Goode

Yes, the "if you are lucky" part is very important. The one-line patch
may look simple, but it took a LONG time of experimenting to figure it
out!

Adam

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 19:21 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> > so it doesn't mather that i've a silicon dongle?
> > (i need the bt v1.2 only because the rssi inquiry)
> > or isn't it a silicon one?
>
> you dongle is a Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR for short) and the other
> one is Silicon Wave (SiW for short). Read it more carefully.
>
> > what is now the procedure?
> > - getting the btdfu program
> > - fix it (Adam Goode told how)
> > - download the 18.x firmware. where can i get it?
> > - install it...
>
> If you are lucky, then yes. The GenericCSR.dfu is inside the MacOS X
> Bluetooth update you can download from the Apple site.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Marco,