2007-07-09 11:40:25

by Robert Rawlins

Subject: [Bluez-users] configure: error: Bluetooth library is required

Morning Mats,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't copied my header files across, i'm not even sure how too :-D

Can you explain the installation process for me? at the moment I'm doing it as follows.

1) Download libs and utils files from bluez.org
2) Untar those files using tar xzf filename.tar.gz
3) cd to the directory for libs
4) ./configure, make, make install
5) cd to the utils directory
6) ./configure --with-bluez=/usr/local/lib

And that's when i get my error, by the sounds of what you have been saying i must be missing something out but i have no idea what. I don't do much compiling from source so this is all quite new to me.

Thanks again for your help, it really is appreciated.

Rob
Try Live.com - your fast, personalised homepage with all the things you care about in one place.
http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-gb

Attachments:
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Mats Erik Andersson

Dear Robert,

m=E5n 2007-07-09 klockan 11:40 +0000 skrev Robert Rawlins:
> Morning Mats,
> =

> Thanks for your reply. I haven't copied my header files across, i'm
> not even sure how too :-D
> =

> Can you explain the installation process for me? at the moment I'm
> doing it as follows.
> =

> 1) Download libs and utils files from bluez.org
> 2) Untar those files using tar xzf filename.tar.gz
> 3) cd to the directory for libs
> 4) ./configure, make, make install
> 5) cd to the utils directory
> 6) ./configure --with-bluez=3D/usr/local/lib
> =

> And that's when i get my error, by the sounds of what you have been
> saying i must be missing something out but i have no idea what. I
> don't do much compiling from source so this is all quite new to me.
> =

> Thanks again for your help, it really is appreciated.
> =

> Rob
> =

The quickest way is to create a directory =

# mkdir -p /usr/local/include/bluetooth/

and then copy the header files by hand =

# cp /path/to/source/for/bluez-libs-3.12/include/*.h \
/usr/local/include/bluetooth/

The lacking of those header files, i.e. detailed descriptions of
bluez-utils-3.12, is probably the reason why you could not build
bluez-utils, even though the static and shared libraries were
present. I am somewhat puzzeled that "make install" did not put
the headers in the correct place, but give the above manipulation
a chance, and we will figure out the rest when there is no hurry.

By the way, your very first effort with BLUEZ_LIBS essentially
only lacked a second necessary variable:

BLUEZ_LDFLAGS=3D"-I/usr/local/include"
BLUEZ_LIBS=3D"-L/usr/local/lib -lbluetooth"

but it is safer to use "--with-bluez=3D/usr/local"

Good luck this time!

Best regards, Mats E A

by Mats Erik Andersson

Dear Robert,

s=F6n 2007-07-08 klockan 16:52 +0000 skrev Robert Rawlins:
> Thanks guys for your help on this so far,
> =

> I've now tried the following command when configuring my utils:
> =

> ./configure --with-bluez=3D/usr/local/lib
> =

> and
> =

> ./configure --with-bluez=3D/usr/local
> =

> And still come up against the same issue with the configuration
> telling me that it cannot find bluez, which really is bizarre and the
> make install for the libs confirms where they have been install
> as /usr/local/lib.
> =

> inside that directory i can see the folowing files:
> =

> libbluetooth.so.2.7.0
> libbluetooth.so.2
> libbluetooth.a
> libbluetooth.la
> libbluetooth.so
> =

> Is there anything missing? Any other ideas? I'm running debian
> and have apt-get which i used to use for this kind of thing,
> unfortunately the only release of bluez i can find on there is a 3.7
> and we really need to be working with the latest build on this
> project. I believe there is some kind of svn for the latest build on
> debian but i wasted a couple of hours trying to get that working with
> no luck.
> =

Did you remember to add your header files to

/usr/local/include/bluetooth/ ?

Namely those that come from bluez-libs-3.12.
They are too easily forgotten, unless you are using debhelper
to build your own packages, and then installed =

libbluetooth2_1rr.deb and libbluetooth2-dev_1rr.deb

or whatever you happened to call them.

Good luck, Mats E A

by Robert Rawlins

[...]

Thanks for any further advice guys,

Rob

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Mats Erik Andersson

fre 2007-07-06 klockan 16:57 +0000 skrev Robert Rawlins:

> And then when trying to configure my bluez utils i use
>
> ./configure BLUEZ_LIBS=/usr/local/lib
>
> And i still get the same issue that it cannot find the bluetooth
> libraries.

I disected the configure script, and found the correct mechanism to be:

$ ./configure --with-bluez=/usr/local

The script distroys external values of BLUEZ_LIBS and based on
the argument "--with-bluez=/your/path", the test compilations
and verifications will by themselfs add one directory level
to search for headers and libraries in

/your/path/include and /your/path/lib

By using this observation, I could yesterday evening become
absolutely sure, that my cross-compilation with Buildroot/uClibc
uses only the bluez-libs I built for the embedded application
and does not reference the library I use on the host laptop.

Regards Mats E A

by Mats Erik Andersson

fre 2007-07-06 klockan 16:57 +0000 skrev Robert Rawlins:

> And then when trying to configure my bluez utils i use
>
> ./configure BLUEZ_LIBS=/usr/local/lib
>
> And i still get the same issue that it cannot find the bluetooth
> libraries.

The universal cure to this is to use

$ env BLUES_LIBS=/usr/local/lib ./configure

That way the variable BLUES_LIBS is guaranteed to enter the environment
for the new process.

by Manuel Naranjo

Robert,
It's quite easy to set the path where you want to install an app:
./configure --prefix=<ABSOLUTE_PATH>

Thanks,
Manuel
> Just as an extra note, during the make install all the libs it says:
>
> Libraries have been installed in:
> /usr/local/lib
> If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
> in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
> specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
> flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
> - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
> during execution
> - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
> during linking
> - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
> - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'
> See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
> more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
>
> And then when trying to configure my bluez utils i use
>
> ./configure BLUEZ_LIBS=/usr/local/lib
>
> And i still get the same issue that it cannot find the bluetooth
> libraries.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

by Robert Rawlins

[...]

100?s of Music vouchers to be won with MSN Music
https://www.musicmashup.co.uk/index.html

Attachments:
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Robert Rawlins

Thanks for getting back to me Manuel,

The libs are already installed, the ./confgure, make, make install went without error on the libs yet for some reason it would appear that the utils configurator isn't able to fine them :-s

Is there any way i can specify the libs path in my ./configure arguments?

Thanks,

Rob
100?s of Music vouchers to be won with MSN Music
https://www.musicmashup.co.uk/index.html

Attachments:
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Manuel Naranjo

You need to build the bluez-lib in order to build the bluez-util you
must be missing the lib