2004-07-16 14:15:20

by Mauro Tortonesi

Subject: [Bluez-users] bluecore3-based usb dongles

hi to everybody,

i would like to buy a couple of usb dongles based on the bluecore 3 chip to
use them with bluez.

has anyone of you already tried one of those dongles? do you have any buying
suggestions?

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi [email protected]
Deep Space 6 - IPv6 with Linux http://www.deepspace6.net
Ferrara Linux User Group http://www.ferrara.linux.it

by Peter Stephenson

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] bluecore3-based usb dongles

Mauro Tortonesi wrote:
> i would like to buy a couple of usb dongles based on the bluecore 3 chip to
> use them with bluez.

I'd be surprised if they were available in commercial packages yet.
I'm not sure if they ever will be (though that's not my domain).
BlueCore 3 isn't really targetted at the PC world. There are
two versions: Multimedia, which has a digital signal processor, and
is targeted at embedded applications, and ROM, which has (suprise)
code in ROM and therefore can't be upgraded. There are, of course,
versions available for developers, but whether people will bother
putting these in cheap PC dongles I don't know.

BlueCore 4 External, which supports Enhanced Data Rate, is the next
chip specifically designed for the PC market. I would expect stuff
to start appearing on the market with that in some time around the
back end of this year (although as I'm not in marketing that's a guess).

--
Peter Stephenson <[email protected]> Software Engineer
CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mauro,

> i would like to buy a couple of usb dongles based on the bluecore 3 chip to
> use them with bluez.
>
> has anyone of you already tried one of those dongles? do you have any buying
> suggestions?

do you know any BlueCore3 based USB dongles? I haven't seen any of them
on the market so far. However I tested a BlueCore3 chip within a Casira
and it works as good as a BlueCore02 chip.

Regards

Marcel