2004-05-23 13:27:52

by Хедин

Subject: [Bluez-users] BT3030

I'm still stuck with my BT3030 dongle. Nobody can help me on my quest :(
What does this error mean:

Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.0
usbcore: registered new driver bcm203x
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
bcm203x_probe: Mini driver request failed
bcm203x: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5.

I have everything installed, what I need.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] BT3030

Hi,

> I'm still stuck with my BT3030 dongle. Nobody can help me on my quest :(
> What does this error mean:
>
> Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.0
> usbcore: registered new driver bcm203x
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> bcm203x_probe: Mini driver request failed
> bcm203x: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5.
>
> I have everything installed, what I need.

I actually don't think so, because this error only occurs when the
request_firmware() call for BCM2033-MD.hex fails. This is not a kernel
error. It is is a problem of your hotplug setup. You must have a working
firmware.agent for loading firmware from userspace into the kernel.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> Still can't understand. I got /sys, put firmware.agent to /etc/hotpug
> (installed linux-hotplug package) and .BIN and .HEX files to
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firware.
>
> After plugging in the device and loading the module `bcm203x' it still gives
> an -5 error about failing to load some mini-driver.

is CONFIG_HOTPLUG enabled in your kernel? Are the executable bits of
/etc/hotplug/firmware.agent set? For more detailed logs enable the debug
option in your hotplug scripts.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

0
> > save it and write:
> > mount -a as root
>
> Yes I did it. But still nothing changed (where do I get firmware.agent?).

It is part of hotplug scripts. You should use latest -mh kernel patches too.

Michal

by CIJOML

On Sunday 16 of May 2004 17:53, =E8=C5=C4=C9=CE wrote:
> Saturday 15 May 2004 16:01, Marcel Holtmann =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
> > Hi Hedin,
> >
> > > Here is my `dmesg` log after I load my modules after connecting the
> > > dongle:
> > >
> > > usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
> > > Bluetooth: Core ver 2.4
> > > NET: Registered protocol family 31
> > > Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
> > > Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
> > > Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.1
> > > Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> > > Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.5
> > > usbcore: registered new driver hci_usb
> > > Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.0
> > > bcm203x_probe: Mini driver request failed
> > > bcm203x: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5
> > > usbcore: registered new driver bcm203x
> >
> > this means that the request for the mini driver file BCM2033-MD.hex
> > failed. You need /sys mounted, you need /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent and
> > you must put the two firmware files from Broadcom in the firmware
> > directory under /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.
>
> Sorry for dumb questions. I got these two filfes into
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firware (I took them from bluez-blufw package).
> The error still remains.
>
> But how about another one? I can't find it and what is "/sys" ? (I'm not
> really experienced with Linux, sorry).

write:
mkdir /sys

edit /etc/fstab and add this line:
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
save it and write:
mount -a as root

Michal

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hedin,

> Here is my `dmesg` log after I load my modules after connecting the dongle:
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
> Bluetooth: Core ver 2.4
> NET: Registered protocol family 31
> Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
> Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
> Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.1
> Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.5
> usbcore: registered new driver hci_usb
> Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.0
> bcm203x_probe: Mini driver request failed
> bcm203x: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5
> usbcore: registered new driver bcm203x

this means that the request for the mini driver file BCM2033-MD.hex
failed. You need /sys mounted, you need /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent and
you must put the two firmware files from Broadcom in the firmware
directory under /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alexandre,

> If this function is not implemented, do you know where I can find a
> usb dongle model that implemented this TPL function ?

try a CSR based dongle. It should work with them.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alexandre,

> I bought two Bluetooth usb dongle, model BT3030, FCC ID D6XBT3030 and
> tried to make them talk through two Slackware 10.0 in two desktop
> Pentium III 650Mhz machines. I`ve succed exchanged messages between
> them and mesure RSSI too, but I always get the same number from TPL
> read. I would like to know if this TPL function is already implemented
> at this bluetooth dongle model, so I doing something wrong at read TPL
> or to use this function I have to change my operating system or by
> another bluetooth usb dongle.
> I've also used HCI from slackware package, bluez-libs-2.5-i386-1roc.tgz,
> bluez-utils-2.4-i386-1roc.tgz , bluez-bluefw-1.0-i686-1rmx.tgz.
>
> Can anyone help me to use this TPL function from HCI?

this looks like a Broadcom based dongle and maybe it is not really
support by the current firmware from Broadcom.

Regards

Marcel

by Alexandre Coser Monteiro

Hi Marcel,
If this function is not implemented, do you know where I can find a
usb dongle model that implemented this TPL function ?

Thank you,
Alexandre