2004-11-08 18:59:17

by Administrator TOOTAI

Subject: [Bluez-users] Audio & Bluetooth

Hi list,

I have a question: for my mobile I use an HAMA Bluetooth headset. If I
buy a bluetooth PCMCIA card for my notebook, will I be able to use this
headset with this card? recognized as a second soundcard? as a normal
headset for my integrate soundcard? recognized by my software phone
clients? If I buy an USB bluetooth device, would it be the same? better?

I'm running a Debian SID kernel 2.6.

Thanks for reply

--
Daniel

by Martin List-Petersen

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Audio & Bluetooth

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 01:26, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > How can the mapping be changed, if I may ask. I've been looking around
> > and the only material that i found of it, is actually that you stated at
> > some point, that they have to match, but not how it can be changed.
>
> It must be set to SCO over HCI to get it working. Most dongles sold now
> uses this setting by default. Some older don't. So this is a CSR chip
> and all settings are in the persistant storage (PS). So you only have to
> set the PS key for this one to HCI instead of PCM.
>
> Said this there is a Windows program called pstool that can do this for
> you, but it is not freely available. This is CSR specific and if you dig
> deep enough into the source code of BlueZ and also the OpenBT project,
> you can get the knowledge on how to change it. I don't provide a tool
> for it and I also won't answer any further questions about this.

Windows isn't an option, but this should be clarifying enough. Thanks
for the effort.

/Martin

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-11-12 01:26:55

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Martin,

if you sign your emails, then make sure that your public key is
available for download somewhere or don't sign at all.

> > the SCO mapping HCI is the right one, because for the PCM you need
> > access to the PCM interface on your Bluetooth chip and normally you
> > can't access this on an USB dongle.
> >
> > > Is there anyway that can be done to this in regards to audio ?
> >
> > For a CSR chip the SCO mapping can be changed.
>
> How can the mapping be changed, if I may ask. I've been looking around
> and the only material that i found of it, is actually that you stated at
> some point, that they have to match, but not how it can be changed.

It must be set to SCO over HCI to get it working. Most dongles sold now
uses this setting by default. Some older don't. So this is a CSR chip
and all settings are in the persistant storage (PS). So you only have to
set the PS key for this one to HCI instead of PCM.

Said this there is a Windows program called pstool that can do this for
you, but it is not freely available. This is CSR specific and if you dig
deep enough into the source code of BlueZ and also the OpenBT project,
you can get the knowledge on how to change it. I don't provide a tool
for it and I also won't answer any further questions about this.

Regards

Marcel

by Martin List-Petersen

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 21:27, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> the SCO mapping HCI is the right one, because for the PCM you need
> access to the PCM interface on your Bluetooth chip and normally you
> can't access this on an USB dongle.
>
> > Is there anyway that can be done to this in regards to audio ?
>
> For a CSR chip the SCO mapping can be changed.

How can the mapping be changed, if I may ask. I've been looking around
and the only material that i found of it, is actually that you stated at
some point, that they have to match, but not how it can be changed.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-11-11 21:27:56

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Martin,

Citat Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>:

> actually this is not an easy to answer question. First thing is that you
> should get a Bluetooth device with a CSR chip and at least HCI 16.x
> firmware on it. The second is that it must route the SCO traffic through
> the HCI and via a PCM. Then it should be possible.

Getting back to this (and just to clarify this exactly).

on hciconfig hci0 revision: "SCO mapping: PCM" is good ? And "SCO mapping:
HCI" is bad ?

Is there anyway that can be done to this in regards to audio ?

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--
Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> > A bit OT, but I tried that on my Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) and got
> > =====================================
> > tim@william ~]$ sudo hciconfig hci0 revision
> > hci0: Type: USB
> > BD Address: 08:00:46:21:58:29 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> > Build 66
> > Chip version: BlueCore01b (ES)
> > =====================================
> >
> > I guess that means the chip in the in-built Bluetooth is pre-pre-historic.
>
> 66 beta-9.8 2001-01-17
>
> Congratulations, this is the oldest chip I've ever heard of in the wild.
> The "ES" chip is an engineering sample, even before the full production
> run of BC01b. I'm not 100% sure these are properly supported by the
> later BC01 firmware, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading the firmware,
> even if you find away, unless you're pretty sure you can get back.

as far as I know only the Xircom cards are the other ones with beta
firmware there were out there in the wild, but the C1VFK is really the
oldest one.

The ES is interesting, because once I flashed a BC02 ES with a newer
firmware afterwards the ES was gone ;)

However if anyone has old Bluetooth hardware and has replaced it with
newer one I would be very happy if they donate these old devices to me,
because I collect them. Something like a Bluetooth museum.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Stephenson

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> A bit OT, but I tried that on my Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) and got
> =====================================
> tim@william ~]$ sudo hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 08:00:46:21:58:29 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> Build 66
> Chip version: BlueCore01b (ES)
> =====================================
>
> I guess that means the chip in the in-built Bluetooth is pre-pre-historic.

66 beta-9.8 2001-01-17

Congratulations, this is the oldest chip I've ever heard of in the wild.
The "ES" chip is an engineering sample, even before the full production
run of BC01b. I'm not 100% sure these are properly supported by the
later BC01 firmware, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading the firmware,
even if you find away, unless you're pretty sure you can get back.

pws

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Timothy,

> > you are kidding me? Use "hciconfig hci0 revision" or look at my webpage
> > where most of the build ids are decoded.
>
> A bit OT, but I tried that on my Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) and got
> =====================================
> tim@william ~]$ sudo hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 08:00:46:21:58:29 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> Build 66
> Chip version: BlueCore01b (ES)
> =====================================
>
> I guess that means the chip in the in-built Bluetooth is pre-pre-historic.

this is a pre HCI 11.2 firmware and my oldest card is a Xircom CBT one
with build id 101.

> Is there any hope of upgrading in such a case?
> Eg could upgrading the BIOS upgrade the BT chip too?

No. This is always done separately. However this boot loader shouldn't
check the signature of the DFU file and so in general you can try to
load a HCI 16.4 on it. Of course at your own risk. Does Sony provide an
update for this notebook?

Regards

Marcel

by Timothy Murphy

On Monday 08 November 2004 23:28, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> you are kidding me? Use "hciconfig hci0 revision" or look at my webpage
> where most of the build ids are decoded.

A bit OT, but I tried that on my Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) and got
=====================================
tim@william ~]$ sudo hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 08:00:46:21:58:29 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
Build 66
Chip version: BlueCore01b (ES)
=====================================

I guess that means the chip in the in-built Bluetooth is pre-pre-historic.

Is there any hope of upgrading in such a case?
Eg could upgrading the BIOS upgrade the BT chip too?

It's really only an academic question,
as Bluez/gnokii are perfectly able for what I want.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

by Peter Stephenson

Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> Must be blind. Anyhow, i guess this doesn't sound good for sound:
>
> # hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:60:57:02:7F:E1 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 12.7
> Chip version: BlueCore01b
> SCO mapping: PCM
>
> I have problems with no audio on this dongle. So i take it, that it
> might be the oldish firmware.

12.7 is prehistoric, unfortunately. The last release for BlueCore01 was
16.something, then we stopped supporting it. If you want further
improvements after that, you should get a new dongle. All new ones
should have at least BlueCore2 in them (we only have one BlueCore01
customer left and they don't make dongles).

pws

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Martin List-Petersen

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 23:28, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Martin,

> > > actually this is not an easy to answer question. First thing is that you
> > > should get a Bluetooth device with a CSR chip and at least HCI 16.x
> > > firmware on it. The second is that it must route the SCO traffic through
> > > the HCI and via a PCM. Then it should be possible.
> >
> > How to identify version 16.x or higher ? hciconfig -a only gives a
> > hexadecimal value, that not really gives me get a clue on the firmware
> > version.
> >
> > HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0xbc LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0xbc
>
> you are kidding me? Use "hciconfig hci0 revision" or look at my webpage
> where most of the build ids are decoded.

Must be blind. Anyhow, i guess this doesn't sound good for sound:

# hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:60:57:02:7F:E1 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 12.7
Chip version: BlueCore01b
SCO mapping: PCM

I have problems with no audio on this dongle. So i take it, that it
might be the oldish firmware.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-11-08 23:28:22

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Martin,

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 19:57, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> > I have a question: for my mobile I use an HAMA Bluetooth headset. If I
> > buy a bluetooth PCMCIA card for my notebook, will I be able to use this
> > headset with this card? recognized as a second soundcard? as a normal
> > headset for my integrate soundcard? recognized by my software phone
> > clients? If I buy an USB bluetooth device, would it be the same? better?
>
> actually this is not an easy to answer question. First thing is that you
> should get a Bluetooth device with a CSR chip and at least HCI 16.x
> firmware on it. The second is that it must route the SCO traffic through
> the HCI and via a PCM. Then it should be possible.

How to identify version 16.x or higher ? hciconfig -a only gives a
hexadecimal value, that not really gives me get a clue on the firmware
version.

HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0xbc LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0xbc

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-11-08 19:57:37

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Daniel,

> I have a question: for my mobile I use an HAMA Bluetooth headset. If I
> buy a bluetooth PCMCIA card for my notebook, will I be able to use this
> headset with this card? recognized as a second soundcard? as a normal
> headset for my integrate soundcard? recognized by my software phone
> clients? If I buy an USB bluetooth device, would it be the same? better?

actually this is not an easy to answer question. First thing is that you
should get a Bluetooth device with a CSR chip and at least HCI 16.x
firmware on it. The second is that it must route the SCO traffic through
the HCI and via a PCM. Then it should be possible.

I would prefer a USB dongle, but there are problems with the driver that
are not finally solved yet. PCMCIA cards may have the problem that the
bandwith is not high enough or you may get bit errors.

more details.

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

see bluetooth-alsa.sf.net to make the headset appear as another alsa
sound card.

i haven't been able to use my cf bluetooth card (in pcmcia slot) since
2.4 but i know people are working on fixing that. almost every new usb
adapter works... i was pleasantly suprised recently to find that
compusa's "generic" class 1 usb adapter worked right away when i plugged
it in.