2006-01-09 15:36:18

by Hugo van der Merwe

Subject: [Bluez-users] Two "identical" laptops, same phone, one works, one doesn't

This is driving me nuts. I have two Compaq nx6110 laptops here, I've got one
working fine, the other isn't working. I try:

rfcomm connect 0 00:12:47:1E:90:AE 3

For the one it works great, the other I get

Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused

How can I debug this problem? Will a hcidump help? (Should I attach the two
"hcidump -V" outputs to an email?)

Confused and frustrated after a day of struggling,
Hugo van der Merwe

Attachments:
(No filename) (438.00 B)
(No filename) (496.00 B)

by Martin Stolle

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 09:44:19AM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> For the record, for future reference by other people having similar
> problems, I've solved this problem, with the help of a tip from a
> friend. He said I should wipe /var/lib/bluetooth/* to start from
> scratch. That solved the problem.

I've also had similar problems with RFCOMM, that were solved my wiping
that directory. In particular, I could communicate with my phone once,
during the original pairing, and after that, future connections were
refused. Deleting the pairing on the phone (a Nokia 6310i), would allow
me to re-pair, but any subsequent connections after the initial re-pair
connection would fail until I deleted the pairing on the phone.

After a lot of grief, I finally found some random forum post about
the /var/lib/bluetooth directory. Is there any documentation on this?
It seems like it stores the cryptographic keys for the pairing, and this
mechanism changed recently in bluez? Unfortunately, none of the man
pages hint at this at all and the bluez webpage doesn't have any
official documentation either. Where should I have looked?

Martin

by Hugo van der Merwe

For the record, for future reference by other people having similar
problems, I've solved this problem, with the help of a tip from a
friend. He said I should wipe /var/lib/bluetooth/* to start from
scratch. That solved the problem.

Very odd, iirc: the bluetooth directory contained one directory, which
was the bdaddr of a second phone I tested, not the one I'm now using
with the laptop. Surprised that /var/lib/bluetooth/* could have
anything to do with it then...

Anyway, the tip of wiping /var/lib/bluetooth/* was as a solution to
the "Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused" error message.

Thanks,
Hugo

by rangzen

There was attached.

2006/1/12, Hugo van der Merwe <[email protected]>:

> On 1/12/06, Hugo van der Merwe <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Attached is the output from "hcidump -V -X" for both machines.
>
> I see no attachments in the archive. As an unsubscribed user, I can't
> be sure the attachments made it to the subscribers. Did they? Should I
> inline the hcidumps?
>
> Hugo

libert? - partage - respect
freedom - share - respect

Attachments:
(No filename) (955.00 B)
(No filename) (1.51 kB)

by Hugo van der Merwe

On 1/9/06, Hugo van der Merwe <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is driving me nuts. I have two Compaq nx6110 laptops here, I've got one
> working fine, the other isn't working. I try:
>
> rfcomm connect 0 00:12:47:1E:90:AE 3
>
> For the one it works great, the other I get
>
> Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused

Attached is the output from "hcidump -V -X" for both machines. Oh,
btw, I can copy files to/from both, iirc. (Uh, should I have gzipped
them?)

Any tips or more ways to help debugging this would be more than welcome. Thanks!

Hugo

Attachments:
(No filename) (560.00 B)
bluetooth.fail (4.26 kB)
bluetooth.work (5.95 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hugo,

> This is driving me nuts. I have two Compaq nx6110 laptops here, I've
> got one working fine, the other isn't working. I try:
>
> rfcomm connect 0 00:12:47:1E:90:AE 3
>
> For the one it works great, the other I get
>
> Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused
>
> How can I debug this problem? Will a hcidump help? (Should I attach
> the two "hcidump -V" outputs to an email?)
>
> Confused and frustrated after a day of struggling,

send in the output of "hcidump -X -V" for that problem.

Regards

Marcel