2005-07-20 07:49:51

by fyp

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth as ttyS0

Hi!

I've having reading many sites and found that to bind a port for
bluetooth i need rfcomm. I've also tried the steps in doing it but it
doesn't seem like what I really wanted.

My objective is to make a USB Bluetooth dongle work as a Serial port
(i.e ttyS0). I've a USB Bluetooth dongle and a RS232 Bluetooth device.
This is to emulate a serial cable replacement.
A simple diagram of what I really want to achieve is osmething like
this:

|LinuxPC| USB<-->Bluetooth ~~~~~~ Bluetooth<-->RS232 |LinuxPC|

The problem I'm having now is to make the bluetooth into an emulated
rs232 port. I hope someone can help me with this.

by Mike Lee

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth as ttyS0

On 7/20/05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've having reading many sites and found that to bind a port for
> bluetooth i need rfcomm. I've also tried the steps in doing it but it
> doesn't seem like what I really wanted.
>
> My objective is to make a USB Bluetooth dongle work as a Serial port
> (i.e ttyS0). I've a USB Bluetooth dongle and a RS232 Bluetooth device.
> This is to emulate a serial cable replacement.
> A simple diagram of what I really want to achieve is osmething like
> this:
>
> |LinuxPC| USB<-->Bluetooth ~~~~~~ Bluetooth<-->RS232 |LinuxPC|

I guess you are using rs232 bluetooth dongle in the right side. Then first
of all, you need to know how to get the dongle works. For the usb dongle ,
kernel should dynamic detect and what you need to do is to setup hcid. For
the RS232 dongle, you need additional command hciattach to setup the dongle
and run hcid.
Up to now , you should get something by "hciconfig -a". Then you should use
rfcomm command from bluez-util to setup the link between computer.
Mike,Lee

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.04 kB)
(No filename) (1.48 kB)