2003-10-03 05:50:35

by Peter Bergmann

Subject: [Bluez-users] bluetooth and wireless lan horror

hi,

this question/problem is (maybe) not directly related with bluez .
i use bluez with a class 2 usb dongle together with a wireless lan
pcmcia card. bluez is used for a rfcomm connection to a bluetooth
input device and works really great! actually data is beeing
transmitted not very often and only a few bytes, but the rfcomm
connection has to be open all the time.

i knew that bluetooth and wireless lan use the same frequenzy band
and that this may lead to problems but for me it's totally unuseable!

as soosn as i move more than 10 feet away from the wlan accesspoint
i get a packetloss from more than 30 percent even if no data is
being transmitted via the rfcomm connection.

i dont' understand why wlan transmission is affected even if no data
goes over the bluez rfcomm connection!?

is there anything i can do about this?
thanks a lot for any hints.

cheers, pet

--
NEU F?R ALLE - GMX MediaCenter - f?r Fotos, Musik, Dateien...
Fotoalbum, File Sharing, MMS, Multimedia-Gru?, GMX FotoService

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f?r Mail, Message, More! +++

by Timothy Murphy

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] bluetooth and wireless lan horror

On Friday 03 October 2003 06:50, Peter Bergmann wrote:

> i knew that bluetooth and wireless lan use the same frequenzy band
> and that this may lead to problems but for me it's totally unuseable!

I must say my experience is exactly the opposite --
I am amazed at how little WiFi and Bluetooth appear to interact.
I have a Sony Picturebook (C1VFK) laptop with built-in Bluetooth,
and I use a WiFi card (Orinoco Gold) all the time to link to my desktop.
[Sadly, Bluetooth does not have quite enough range for this.]

My WiFi connection is not affected at all by switching Bluetooth on/off.
Equally, I use Bluetooth to link to my phone,
and this does not appear to be affected in the slightest
by whether I have my WiFi card in or not.

Maybe this has something to do with the relative positions
of the WiFi and Bluetooth antennae on my laptop?

Maybe it could be worth trying another WiFi card if there is interference?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [email protected]

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> this question/problem is (maybe) not directly related with bluez .
> i use bluez with a class 2 usb dongle together with a wireless lan
> pcmcia card. bluez is used for a rfcomm connection to a bluetooth
> input device and works really great! actually data is beeing
> transmitted not very often and only a few bytes, but the rfcomm
> connection has to be open all the time.
>
> i knew that bluetooth and wireless lan use the same frequenzy band
> and that this may lead to problems but for me it's totally unuseable!
>
> as soosn as i move more than 10 feet away from the wlan accesspoint
> i get a packetloss from more than 30 percent even if no data is
> being transmitted via the rfcomm connection.
>
> i dont' understand why wlan transmission is affected even if no data
> goes over the bluez rfcomm connection!?

even if is there is no traffic on the RFCOMM connection doesn't mean
that there is no traffic at all. Due the fast hopping frequency of
Bluetooth it is more robust than WLAN and in general there is nothing
you can do ;) You can use LAN access or PAN over Bluetooth.

One thing you can try is that you switch your language code of your
Bluetooth device to france and in this case it won't use all 79 channels
anymore. Then you can put your WLAN card on a frequency which is no
longer used by Bluetooth. Maybe this helps, but don't ask me how to do
this in detail.

Regards

Marcel