2004-02-22 23:26:24

by Pavel Ruzicka

Subject: [Bluez-users] Selection of PtP connection type

Hello,

I want to connect my Desktop Mandrake linux with my Sharp Zaurus.
On desktop side I want automatic solution. Only insert USB dongle.

On Zaurus side I have network connector with PPP connection support,
(it's works with my Nokia 6310i phone), and with PAN support.
I want only click "connect" on Zaurus side.

I read many FAQ, but many of them are outdated or not complete.
I know, there are ppp over rfcomm, ppp over bnep, bridge over bnep, or
anything else? I'am a little confused about it.

What is the preferred way of connecting two devices today?

Other problem is with automatic configuring. For autoloading
of kernel modules I have in kernel 2.6.3 autoloader, and in /etc/modprobe.conf
I have this:
# bluetooth stuff
alias net-pf-31 bluez
alias bt-proto-0 l2cap
alias bt-proto-2 sco
alias bt-proto-3 rfcomm
alias bt-proto-4 bnep
alias tty-ldisc-11 hci_usb

This works for me, but Is it the right way?

I'am a little confused from hotplug. Must I start some daemon, or this makes
kernel?
Where can I place configuration for automatic configuring and removing
interface?
This will probably depends on first question about connection type.
For example, on my Zaurus is cardctl daemon, which operates CF slot.

Please give me some answers or links to documents.
Best regards,
Pavel Ruzicka

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Selection of PtP connection type

Hi Pavel,

> I created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bnep0
> -------------------------
> DEVICE=bnep0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.130.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> ONBOOT=no
> -------------------------
> When I want to connect, I must run on desktop "pand -s -rNAP", next run
> "connect" on Zaurus, and next "ifup bnep0" on desktop.
>
> How can I automate process on desktop side?

you can start pand from an init script. The automatic ifup is specific
to your distribution.

Regards

Marcel

by Pavel Ruzicka

Hello,

> Hi Pavel,
> Check out this page http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/bluetooth.html

Thanks,
I am using network applet in Cacko.biz rom on Zaurus side, which works great.

Best regards,

Pavouk

by Pavel Ruzicka

Hello,

> In my opinion you should use the PAN Profile to connect the devices. If
> you don't want to share the internet connection of your mandrake box,
> you do not need to worry about bridging. As a rough summary:

Thanks, I now use PAN.

> 1) Install bluez-pan on both sides

It was done from package...

> 2) Issue "pand -s -r NAP" on the mandrake box

Yes it works.

> 3) make "pand -c aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:00" on the zaurus (replace the part
> after -c with the bluetooth address of the mandrake box

Yes it works too.

I created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bnep0
-------------------------
DEVICE=bnep0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.130.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=no
-------------------------
When I want to connect, I must run on desktop "pand -s -rNAP", next run
"connect" on Zaurus, and next "ifup bnep0" on desktop.

How can I automate process on desktop side?
Marcel writes about hcid and bluetooth.agent.
Are there some examples or links to official documentation?
Man with examples would be great ;-)

> And by the way, PPP over BNEP does not make sense.
This is probably my mistake from this document:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~cclljj/work/ucla/bluez/pand_dund.html

Thank you and Marcel for great help.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

by Stephen Crane

Hi Pavel,
Check out this page http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/bluetooth.html

I use the network applets: they work well.

Cheers,
Steve

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 23:26, Pavel Ruzicka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to connect my Desktop Mandrake linux with my Sharp Zaurus.
> On desktop side I want automatic solution. Only insert USB dongle.
>
> On Zaurus side I have network connector with PPP connection support,
> (it's works with my Nokia 6310i phone), and with PAN support.
> I want only click "connect" on Zaurus side.
>
> I read many FAQ, but many of them are outdated or not complete.
> I know, there are ppp over rfcomm, ppp over bnep, bridge over bnep, or
> anything else? I'am a little confused about it.
>
> What is the preferred way of connecting two devices today?

> Other problem is with automatic configuring. For autoloading
> of kernel modules I have in kernel 2.6.3 autoloader, and in /etc/modprobe.conf
> I have this:
> # bluetooth stuff
> alias net-pf-31 bluez
> alias bt-proto-0 l2cap
> alias bt-proto-2 sco
> alias bt-proto-3 rfcomm
> alias bt-proto-4 bnep
> alias tty-ldisc-11 hci_usb
>
> This works for me, but Is it the right way?
>
> I'am a little confused from hotplug. Must I start some daemon, or this makes
> kernel?
> Where can I place configuration for automatic configuring and removing
> interface?
> This will probably depends on first question about connection type.
> For example, on my Zaurus is cardctl daemon, which operates CF slot.
>
> Please give me some answers or links to documents.
> Best regards,
> Pavel Ruzicka

Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

by Simi Winiker

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 00:26, Pavel Ruzicka wrote:
> Hello,

Hello.

> I want to connect my Desktop Mandrake linux with my Sharp Zaurus.
> On desktop side I want automatic solution. Only insert USB dongle.

[snip]

> What is the preferred way of connecting two devices today?

In my opinion you should use the PAN Profile to connect the devices. If
you don't want to share the internet connection of your mandrake box,
you do not need to worry about bridging. As a rough summary:

1) Install bluez-pan on both sides
2) Issue "pand -s -r NAP" on the mandrake box
3) make "pand -c aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:00" on the zaurus (replace the part
after -c with the bluetooth address of the mandrake box

And you should be connected. But still read the documentation. And by
the way, PPP over BNEP does not make sense.

[snip]

Simi

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Pairing multiple devices

Hi Alex,

> I have several bluetooth devices, which I am having a hard time getting
> them all connected at the same time.
>
> The problem is that, one device (a Logitech MS 900) doesn't seem to
> work if I have encryption and authentication enabled.

and this is correct. Read the HID profile for more details.

> However my apple wireless keyboard does not work with out those options
> enabled.

The Apple mouse is wrong here, because the HID device must not decide
this. In the case of HID the host stack must trigger the authentication.

> With encryption and authentication on, the mouse does not have a
> successful pairing. (always failing on the key request)

With auth and encrypt set in hcid.conf or with hciconfig you enable
security mode 3 and this is not what you really want. Disable it and let
the device decide when to ask for authentication.

> Is there a way to specify that a specific connect uses (or doesn't use)
> encryption and authentication?

See above. You are in security mode 3, but what you want is security
mode 2.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pavel,

> I want to connect my Desktop Mandrake linux with my Sharp Zaurus.
> On desktop side I want automatic solution. Only insert USB dongle.
>
> On Zaurus side I have network connector with PPP connection support,
> (it's works with my Nokia 6310i phone), and with PAN support.
> I want only click "connect" on Zaurus side.
>
> I read many FAQ, but many of them are outdated or not complete.
> I know, there are ppp over rfcomm, ppp over bnep, bridge over bnep, or
> anything else? I'am a little confused about it.

there is no PPP over BNEP, because BNEP itself is an ethernet emulation.

> What is the preferred way of connecting two devices today?

The preferred way is to use the PAN profile (BNEP).

> Other problem is with automatic configuring. For autoloading
> of kernel modules I have in kernel 2.6.3 autoloader, and in /etc/modprobe.conf
> I have this:
> # bluetooth stuff
> alias net-pf-31 bluez
> alias bt-proto-0 l2cap
> alias bt-proto-2 sco
> alias bt-proto-3 rfcomm
> alias bt-proto-4 bnep
> alias tty-ldisc-11 hci_usb
>
> This works for me, but Is it the right way?

No.

alias net-pf-31 bluetooth (for 2.4 this is bluez)
alias bt-proto-0 l2cap
alias bt-proto-2 sco
alias bt-proto-3 rfcomm
alias bt-proto-4 bnep
alias bt-proto-5 cmtp
alias tty-ldisc-15 hci_uart

> Where can I place configuration for automatic configuring and removing
> interface?

Start hcid. And you can make use of bluetooth.agent.

Regards

Marcel

by Alex Eiser

Subject: [Bluez-users] Pairing multiple devices

Hi,

I have several bluetooth devices, which I am having a hard time getting
them all connected at the same time.

The problem is that, one device (a Logitech MS 900) doesn't seem to
work if I have encryption and authentication enabled.

However my apple wireless keyboard does not work with out those options
enabled.

With encryption and authentication on, the mouse does not have a
successful pairing. (always failing on the key request)

Is there a way to specify that a specific connect uses (or doesn't use)
encryption and authentication?

Alex

Attachments:
smime.p7s (2.30 kB)