2004-03-02 12:11:22

by Ronan Naughton

Subject: [Bluez-users] Setting up a bluetooth network

Hi,
I am having some trouble. I want to set up a little bluetooth LAN say
between 4 computers with bluetooth dongles and a pda. I don't know which to
use PAN or LAN access profile and I am having trouble setting up both.
Someone told me that when your using pan, its not really the same as setting
up a network but more like a communication means for all your personal
devices.

Also is LAN acces profile just for say accesing a LAN rather than setting up
a LAN. All the LAN how-to's show how to set up a PPP connection between ur
pc and your phone, and that is even causing me trouble. It trys to make a
PPP over rfcomm but fails to connect.

When I tried setting up a PAN between three computers ( I am using Red Hat9
and the blueZ package for this ) both computers can ping the master but
cannot ping each other and the master can only ping one pc, even though it
seems that the connection is there and the pc's are beside each other.
I assigned the master by un-commenting the config file ( at lm accept,
master ).

The thing is that I need to run an ad hoc network (AODV) accross this "LAN"
and some of the pc's will be out of range with other but have to communicate
using neighbouring nodes.
I read some where that LAN access profile does not support ad-hoc networks.

If anyone can help at all it would be greatly appreciated as i am in dire
straits. All the how-to's don't seem to be helping.
Thanks,
Wadgie.

by Pavel Ruzicka

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Setting up a bluetooth network

Hello,

> I am having some trouble. I want to set up a little bluetooth LAN say
> between 4 computers with bluetooth dongles and a pda. I don't know which to
> use PAN or LAN access profile and I am having trouble setting up both.

For your network will be great solution with PAN network.
You will setup one computer like a "master".
pand --listen --master --role=NAP

Other computers and PDA will be a "slaves".

Maybe this document is best for you:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~cclljj/interest/notes/bluez/pand_bridge_nap.html

> Also is LAN acces profile just for say accesing a LAN rather than setting
> up a LAN. All the LAN how-to's show how to set up a PPP connection between
> ur pc and your phone, and that is even causing me trouble. It trys to make
> a PPP over rfcomm but fails to connect.

I use PPP through rfcomm only for GPRS dial-up with my mobile phone.

> both computers can ping the master but
> cannot ping each other and the master can only ping one pc, even though it
> seems that the connection is there and the pc's are beside each other.
> I assigned the master by un-commenting the config file ( at lm accept,
> master ).

If you have devices in same address space, you will need to configure
bridge on master.

If you have devices in different address spaces, you will need to setup
default gateway on slaves and enable routing in kernel on master:

But I don't have experience with more than two devices.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka