2004-03-07 15:25:01

by wim delvaux

Subject: bnep and refcnt

Hi,

after browsing the Linux 2.6 code there is a remark in net/core/dev.c that
state what the problem with the following message that I get is

unregister_netdevice: waiting for bnep0 to become free. Usage count = 6

The comment with the function in dev.c states that this error is caused by
buggy protocols that should unregister after receiving notification that the
devices they are using has been unregistered. They should call
unregister_netdev which decreases the refcnt.

Can anybody help me tracking down this problem I have with explaning which
protocols could be using bnep0 ?

by wim delvaux

Subject: Re: bnep and refcnt

On Monday 08 March 2004 01:27, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Wim,
>
> > after browsing the Linux 2.6 code there is a remark in net/core/dev.c
> > that state what the problem with the following message that I get is
> >
> > unregister_netdevice: waiting for bnep0 to become free. Usage count = 6
> >
> > The comment with the function in dev.c states that this error is caused
> > by buggy protocols that should unregister after receiving notification
> > that the devices they are using has been unregistered. They should call
> > unregister_netdev which decreases the refcnt.
>
> looks like we need a more detailed audit for the BNEP module and some of
> the 2.6 changes in the network device layer.

I tried that but did not find anything usefull.

I noticed (after GREP) that the BNEP module does not have a notify function
(does it need one ?).

Hence I think we need to look for those systems (HCID?) that have a
reference to the bnep module. Probably those do not unregister properly

How can I compile them in debug ?

Thanx

> Regards
>
> Marcel