2004-03-08 15:51:18

by Ronan Naughton

Subject: [Bluez-users] bluez pan problem

Hi all,
I am having a problem with setting up a bluez pan between three machines and
i don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I set one node ( say B )the GN to listen

pand --listen --master --role GN

I then connect the other two nodes ( A & C )

pand --connect mac_addr_of_master

I then assign an ip address to A, C and then the master B:

ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.1
ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.3
ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.2

Then for some reason:
The first pc (10.0.0.1) can ping the other PANU and the GN
The second pc (10.0.0.3) cannot ping the other PANU or the GN
The GN (10.0.0.2 ) can only ping the second pc (10.0.0.3)

Why on earth is this happening. Ip forwarding is turned on on all machines.
I have no idea why it won't work-please help!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Ronan.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] bluez pan problem

Hi Ronan,

> I am having a problem with setting up a bluez pan between three machines and
> i don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I set one node ( say B )the GN to listen
>
> pand --listen --master --role GN
>

> I then connect the other two nodes ( A & C )
>
> pand --connect mac_addr_of_master
>

> I then assign an ip address to A, C and then the master B:
>
> ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.1
> ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.3
> ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.2
>

> Then for some reason:
> The first pc (10.0.0.1) can ping the other PANU and the GN
> The second pc (10.0.0.3) cannot ping the other PANU or the GN
> The GN (10.0.0.2 ) can only ping the second pc (10.0.0.3)

from your setup the master must be have to BNEP connection bnep0 and
bnep1. You must bring both up and assign an IP to them. Actually you
will ran into problems with PANU to PANU connections over the GN. I
propose that you build a bridge above every bnepX connection on the
master. See the PAN HOWTO and the mailing list archive for more details.

Regards

Marcel

by Lalith Chakravarthi

Hi Ronan

> I am having a problem with setting up a bluez pan between three
> machines and
> i don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I set one node ( say B )the GN to listen
>
> pand --listen --master
> --role GN
>

> I then connect the other two nodes ( A & C )
>
> pand --connect
> mac_addr_of_master
>

> I then assign an ip address to A, C and then the master B:
>
> ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.1
> ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.3
> ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.2

I am not exactly sure about your problem. But I think you should be
using the ifconfig bnep0 for the connection with one PANU and ifconfig
bnep1 for the other PANU.

> Then for some reason:
> The first pc (10.0.0.1) can ping the other PANU and the GN
> The second pc (10.0.0.3) cannot ping the other PANU or the GN
> The GN (10.0.0.2 ) can only ping the second pc (10.0.0.3)
>
> Why on earth is this happening. Ip forwarding is turned on on all
> machines.
> I have no idea why it won't work-please help!!!!!!!!
Anyways, do send the output screens when you enter

##> ifconfig bnep0

and

##> ifconfig bnep1

on the three computers. That will help in getting a clearer
understanding of your problem. And guys, if I am wrong, please do
correct me also...

Regards
Lalith