2004-03-30 23:34:14

by Achim Bohnet

Subject: [Bluez-users] bug link_key: no connection after AP was once accessed with Win XP AVM tools

Hi,
to explore my AVM AP-X I once used WinXP. After rebooting into
linux. ciptool was unable to connect to the AP. Fix/hack was to
shutdown hcid, move /etc/bluetooth/link_key away and restart hcid.
(I'm proud of this wild guess that fixed it ;)
Then I got a pin prompt again and everything started working again.

With the 'unusable-after-winxp-usage' link_key file I get

# ciptool connect 00:04:0E:85:34:F3
Can't connect L2CAP socket: Connection timed out

# hcidump -x gives:
HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.5
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
< HCI Command: Create Connection(0x01|0x0005) plen 13
F3 34 85 0E 04 00 18 CC 02 00 00 00 01
> HCI Event: Command Status(0x0f) plen 4
00 01 05 04
> HCI Event: Link Key Request(0x17) plen 6
F3 34 85 0E 04 00
< HCI Command: Link Key Request Reply(0x01|0x000b) plen 22
F3 34 85 0E 04 00 EE 90 55 76 1E 90 F2 DB 52 22 16 F7 5E 15
A7 F5
> HCI Event: Connect Complete(0x03) plen 11
05 00 00 F3 34 85 0E 04 00 01 00

I use debian testing with 2.6.4 and
ii bluez-hcidump 1.5-2 Analyses Bluetooth HCI packets
ii bluez-pan 1.1rel-3 Personal area networking for Bluetooth devices
ii bluez-pin 0.22-1 Bluetooth PIN helper with D-BUS support
ii bluez-sdp 1.5-2 BlueZ Bluetooth SDP daemon and tool
ii bluez-utils 2.4-6 Utilities for controlling Bluetooth devices

Here's hcid.conf

allee(0) ~ $ tcgrep -v '^(\s*#|$)' /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
options {
autoinit yes;
security auto;
pairing multi;
pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin.ach;
}
device {
name "%h-%d";
class 0x100;
iscan enable; pscan enable;
lm accept;
lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;
auth enable;
encrypt enable;
}

--
To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is
-- [email protected]

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Achim,

> to explore my AVM AP-X I once used WinXP. After rebooting into
> linux. ciptool was unable to connect to the AP. Fix/hack was to
> shutdown hcid, move /etc/bluetooth/link_key away and restart hcid.
> (I'm proud of this wild guess that fixed it ;)
> Then I got a pin prompt again and everything started working again.
>
> With the 'unusable-after-winxp-usage' link_key file I get
>
> # ciptool connect 00:04:0E:85:34:F3
> Can't connect L2CAP socket: Connection timed out
>
> # hcidump -x gives:
> HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.5
> device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
> < HCI Command: Create Connection(0x01|0x0005) plen 13
> F3 34 85 0E 04 00 18 CC 02 00 00 00 01
> > HCI Event: Command Status(0x0f) plen 4
> 00 01 05 04
> > HCI Event: Link Key Request(0x17) plen 6
> F3 34 85 0E 04 00
> < HCI Command: Link Key Request Reply(0x01|0x000b) plen 22
> F3 34 85 0E 04 00 EE 90 55 76 1E 90 F2 DB 52 22 16 F7 5E 15
> A7 F5
> > HCI Event: Connect Complete(0x03) plen 11
> 05 00 00 F3 34 85 0E 04 00 01 00
>
> I use debian testing with 2.6.4 and
> ii bluez-hcidump 1.5-2 Analyses Bluetooth HCI packets
> ii bluez-pan 1.1rel-3 Personal area networking for Bluetooth devices
> ii bluez-pin 0.22-1 Bluetooth PIN helper with D-BUS support
> ii bluez-sdp 1.5-2 BlueZ Bluetooth SDP daemon and tool
> ii bluez-utils 2.4-6 Utilities for controlling Bluetooth devices
>
> Here's hcid.conf
>
> allee(0) ~ $ tcgrep -v '^(\s*#|$)' /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
> options {
> autoinit yes;
> security auto;
> pairing multi;
> pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin.ach;
> }
> device {
> name "%h-%d";
> class 0x100;
> iscan enable; pscan enable;
> lm accept;
> lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;
> auth enable;
> encrypt enable;
> }

don't enable auth and encrypt, because this means security mode 3. Leave
it off and let the AP trigger the security mechanism.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Achim,

> > don't enable auth and encrypt, because this means security mode 3. Leave
> > it off and let the AP trigger the security mechanism.
>
> Right, after commenting out auth and encrypt, stop hcid, reinstalling old
> 'borked' link_key file and starting hcid, ciptool asked for a pin.
>
> Now I have two ways to workaround a bug, it is a bug isn't it? At
> least with auth and encrypt enabled and no link_key entry or a valid
> link_key entry, ciptool works. Only with an invalid link_key entry it
> fails. So for me, who never read any bluetooth spec (sorry), it looks
> like hcid fails to ask for a PIN is the case the link_key is no longer
> valid.

I already talked with the guys from AVM about the problem and this is
part of the link manager of the local Bluetooth dongle. At the moment I
am not quite sure what should be the right behaviour of a link manager
in security mode 3 and a wrong link key. I will test other dongles if I
have more time.

> Thx, for ciptool and your bluetooth work Marcel, beside this trouble it
> served my needs always perfectly.

You are welcome.

Regards

Marcel