2004-04-02 18:00:43

by Pierre N

Subject: [Bluez-users] Two simultanous connections

Hi,

I've been trying to setup ip net with 3 identical devices connected
simultanously over bluetooth. It works after a long
while of fiddling around. I had to go the hcitool route manually to set
the initial connections and then I could use dund no problem. My
question is: why can't I initiate a connection (hcitool cc) from a
device which is already connected?

--
Pierre

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-04-03 16:24:38

by Andreas Gaufer

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Two simultanous connections

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:01:46 +0200
Pierre N <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 14:16, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Pierre,
> >
> > > hcitool -a shows "invalid option -- a".
> >
> > who said that hcitool have an "-a" option.
>
> Sorry, I mixed up hcitool and hciconfig...
>
> > Actually I don't see your problem. Let one iPAQ be the master and the
> > other connect as slaves.
>
> Who said I had a problem? ;-p
> This is all, as I said previously, out of curiosity...
>
> Seriously, my question is why can a master hold up to 4 slaves but can't
> initiate these 4 connections itself as a master?
>
> Is it technically impossible, is it just an implementation constraint or
> is there some secret switch to do so?

check the role-switch procedure, its done with "hcitool" and its opention "sr".
Both Sides have to support this feature.

Greetings

Andy

by Pierre N

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 14:16, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> > hcitool -a shows "invalid option -- a".
>
> who said that hcitool have an "-a" option.

Sorry, I mixed up hcitool and hciconfig...

> Actually I don't see your problem. Let one iPAQ be the master and the
> other connect as slaves.

Who said I had a problem? ;-p
This is all, as I said previously, out of curiosity...

Seriously, my question is why can a master hold up to 4 slaves but can't
initiate these 4 connections itself as a master?

Is it technically impossible, is it just an implementation constraint or
is there some secret switch to do so?

--
Pierre

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-04-03 12:16:21

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pierre,

> hcitool -a shows "invalid option -- a".

who said that hcitool have an "-a" option.

> This is the bluetooth chip of an iPaq 3970. It's running Familiar
> stable, so it must be a pretty old bluez version. Don't know if it
> helps...

This uses HCI 11.2 firmware and this means that you are able to create
master of up to four slaves or slave of one master.

> Ok, I knew I had to give more details... I create links between 3 iPaqs.
> I tried using higher layer protocols to do so. Never worked. I'm just
> trying to do a TCP/IP network so I can run XML-RPC on top of it, ssh
> etc...
>
> That's all I need. I tried to use pan, never worked, I tried to use dun
> over pan, never worked, I tried to use rfcomm never worked. Always the
> same problem:
> I could connect A to B and B to C, never B to A and C to A.
>
> Now I went the hcitool route. Created my own connections very very
> easily. I connected B to A and C to A (A master). Ran dund _after_
> hcitool connections and everything is running great.
>
> hcitool con on A gives me two master connections. These connections have
> been initialised from B and C as slave. So I can have two master
> connections, but I can't create them from A. First one works, second one
> doesn't, nothing happen. It's just out of curiosity.

Actually I don't see your problem. Let one iPAQ be the master and the
other connect as slaves.

Regards

Marcel

by Pierre N

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 20:10, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> > I've been trying to setup ip net with 3 identical devices connected
> > simultanously over bluetooth. It works after a long
> > while of fiddling around. I had to go the hcitool route manually to set
> > the initial connections and then I could use dund no problem. My
> > question is: why can't I initiate a connection (hcitool cc) from a
> > device which is already connected?
>
> for some setups this depends on your Bluetooth chip. So what does
> "hciconfig -a" show? But I am not sure about what kind of network you
> are talking, because between two device there can be only _one_ ACL link
> and this means you can only use "hcitool cc" once. Actually there is no
> need for creating the ACL link manually with hcitool, because every
> higher layer will create it on demand.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Attachments: