2004-04-10 15:26:25

by Richard C. Cox

Subject: [Bluez-users] Hotplug

Gentlemen,
I'm trying to get bluez running on my gentoo linux server so I can connect to
my IPaq 2215. I've got a connection successfully established, but I'm trying
to automate it with hotplug in hopes of setting up a NAP bridge. The docs
I've found so far are rather unclear on this subject, but I've created an
'/etc/hotplug/bluetooth.agent' script. Right now, I'm just trying to get
hotplug to call that script when a connection is established to automatically
configure bnep0, but it only seems to get called on startup when I reboot my
kernel. I had the impression that 'pand' would emit a hotplug event for
bnep0 when a connection is established, but I'm not so sure now. Any
guidance about how I might proceed. Thank you in advance for any information
you may provide.

Regards,

Richard

by Richard C. Cox

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Hotplug

On Saturday 10 April 2004 12:36 pm, Aben Siatris wrote:
> D=C5=88a Saturday 10 April 2004 18:06 Richard Cox nap=C3=ADsal:
> > On Saturday 10 April 2004 11:47 am, Aben Siatris wrote:
> > > not bluetooth.agent, but net.agent.
> > > you need action after creating NET (bnep0)
> > >
> > > i have iPAQ4155 connected.
> > > read thread "No more bluez.o in 2.6?"
> >
> > Aben,
> > Thank you so much! I had been reading some old documentation it would
> > appear. net.agent is the script beeing called by hotplug for when pand
> > establishes a connection. Hopfully, I'll have my iPAQ connected soon,
> > like you.
>
> but i have 2 problems. i am on LAN, and on internet, but
> have not connect to synCE to synchronizing contats, etc, and
> i now in interface 192.168.20.* (bnep0) and LAN (eth0) is on 192.168.0.*
> i need be visiting from LAN for example as 192.168.0.29.
> i am not guru in iptables and nat networking :)))

Aben,

Well, I'm still working on it, but the approach I plan to take is to use a=
=20
bridge to link bnep0->pan0->eth1(internal) on my internal network. I have =
a=20
very comprehensive firewall up on my external firewall, so I don't yet know=
=20
if that will cause problems. I'll let you know you this turns out shortly=
=20
tho.

Cheers,

Richard

by Aben Siatris

D=C5=88a Saturday 10 April 2004 18:06 Richard Cox nap=C3=ADsal:
> On Saturday 10 April 2004 11:47 am, Aben Siatris wrote:
>=20
> > not bluetooth.agent, but net.agent.
> > you need action after creating NET (bnep0)
> >
> > i have iPAQ4155 connected.
> > read thread "No more bluez.o in 2.6?"
>=20
> Aben,
> Thank you so much! I had been reading some old documentation it would=20
> appear. net.agent is the script beeing called by hotplug for when pand=
=20
> establishes a connection. Hopfully, I'll have my iPAQ connected soon, li=
ke=20
> you.

but i have 2 problems. i am on LAN, and on internet, but
have not connect to synCE to synchronizing contats, etc, and
i now in interface 192.168.20.* (bnep0) and LAN (eth0) is on 192.168.0.*
i need be visiting from LAN for example as 192.168.0.29.
i am not guru in iptables and nat networking :)))

by Richard Cox

On Saturday 10 April 2004 12:04 pm, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Aben,
>
> > > I'm trying to get bluez running on my gentoo linux server so I can
> > > connect to my IPaq 2215. I've got a connection successfully
> > > established, but I'm trying to automate it with hotplug in hopes of
> > > setting up a NAP bridge. The docs I've found so far are rather unclear
> > > on this subject, but I've created an '/etc/hotplug/bluetooth.agent'
> > > script. Right now, I'm just trying to get hotplug to call that script
> > > when a connection is established to automatically configure bnep0, but
> > > it only seems to get called on startup when I reboot my kernel. I had
> > > the impression that 'pand' would emit a hotplug event for bnep0 when a
> > > connection is established, but I'm not so sure now. Any guidance about
> > > how I might proceed. Thank you in advance for any information you may
> > > provide.
> >
> > not bluetooth.agent, but net.agent.
> > you need action after creating NET (bnep0)
> >
> > i have iPAQ4155 connected.
> > read thread "No more bluez.o in 2.6?"
>
> I don't know anything about Gentoo, but for Debian you don't have to
> touch net.agent. Simply put another rule into /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Marcel,

Gentoo is somewhat similar. It does not have an /etc/network/interface, but
the interfaces are configure in /etc/init.d and /etc/conf.d. There you
create an /etc/init.d/net.bnep0 (which is identical to the net.ethx scripts)
and put the iface info in /etc/conf.d/net. You are right that I didn't need
to touch the net.agent script though. I never realized it was being called
until Aben informed me. I will have to create a '/var/lock/subsys/network'
lockfile somewhere, but at least bnep0 is being configured automatically now.

Regards

Richard

by Richard Cox

On Saturday 10 April 2004 11:47 am, Aben Siatris wrote:

> not bluetooth.agent, but net.agent.
> you need action after creating NET (bnep0)
>
> i have iPAQ4155 connected.
> read thread "No more bluez.o in 2.6?"

Aben,
Thank you so much! I had been reading some old documentation it would
appear. net.agent is the script beeing called by hotplug for when pand
establishes a connection. Hopfully, I'll have my iPAQ connected soon, like
you.

Cheers,

Richard

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Aben,

> > I'm trying to get bluez running on my gentoo linux server so I can connect to
> > my IPaq 2215. I've got a connection successfully established, but I'm trying
> > to automate it with hotplug in hopes of setting up a NAP bridge. The docs
> > I've found so far are rather unclear on this subject, but I've created an
> > '/etc/hotplug/bluetooth.agent' script. Right now, I'm just trying to get
> > hotplug to call that script when a connection is established to automatically
> > configure bnep0, but it only seems to get called on startup when I reboot my
> > kernel. I had the impression that 'pand' would emit a hotplug event for
> > bnep0 when a connection is established, but I'm not so sure now. Any
> > guidance about how I might proceed. Thank you in advance for any information
> > you may provide.
>
> not bluetooth.agent, but net.agent.
> you need action after creating NET (bnep0)
>
> i have iPAQ4155 connected.
> read thread "No more bluez.o in 2.6?"

I don't know anything about Gentoo, but for Debian you don't have to
touch net.agent. Simply put another rule into /etc/network/interfaces.

Regards

Marcel

by Aben Siatris

D=C5=88a Saturday 10 April 2004 17:26 Richard Cox nap=C3=ADsal:
> Gentlemen,
> I'm trying to get bluez running on my gentoo linux server so I can conne=
ct to=20
> my IPaq 2215. I've got a connection successfully established, but I'm tr=
ying=20
> to automate it with hotplug in hopes of setting up a NAP bridge. The doc=
s=20
> I've found so far are rather unclear on this subject, but I've created an=
=20
> '/etc/hotplug/bluetooth.agent' script. Right now, I'm just trying to get=
=20
> hotplug to call that script when a connection is established to automatic=
ally=20
> configure bnep0, but it only seems to get called on startup when I reboot=
my=20
> kernel. I had the impression that 'pand' would emit a hotplug event for=
=20
> bnep0 when a connection is established, but I'm not so sure now. Any=20
> guidance about how I might proceed. Thank you in advance for any informa=
tion=20
> you may provide.

not bluetooth.agent, but net.agent.
you need action after creating NET (bnep0)

i have iPAQ4155 connected.
read thread "No more bluez.o in 2.6?"

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> Please tell me, how to install and test the hotplug for my Broadcom BT3030
> dongle...

on Debian I simply installed the packages "hotplug" and "hotplug-utils"
and copied the Broadcom firmware files from bluez-bluefw package to
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

Regards

Marcel