2004-04-18 21:21:55

by DVornheder

Subject: [Bluez-users] Compile bluez-bluefw-1.0 fails

Hi !

Compile bluez-bluefw-1.0 fails:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/privat/bluetooth/bluez-bluefw-1.0/hotplug'
make[1]: Entering directory `/privat/bluetooth/bluez-bluefw-1.0'
source='bluefw.c' object='bluefw.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/bluefw.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/bluefw.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./depcomp \
gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"bluez-bluefw\"
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1
-DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1
-DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DBT3C_SUPPORT=1 -I.
-I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -g -O2 -c `test -f 'bluefw.c' || echo
'./'`bluefw.c
In file included from usblib.h:30,
from bluefw.c:39:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:49: error: variable or field
`__user' declared void
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:49: warning: no semicolon at end
of struct or union
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:49: error: parse error before '*'
token
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:56: error: variable or field
`__user' declared void
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:56: warning: no semicolon at end
of struct or union
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:56: error: parse error before '*'
token
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:100: error: variable or field
`__user' declared void
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:100: warning: no semicolon at end
of struct or union
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:100: error: parse error before '*'
token
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:109: error: parse error before '}'
token
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:116: error: variable or field
`__user' declared void
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:116: warning: no semicolon at end
of struct or union
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:116: error: parse error before '*'
token
make[1]: *** [bluefw.o] Error 1

I use kernel 2.6.6-rc1-bk2 !

Dirk

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Compile bluez-bluefw-1.0 fails

Hi Alex,

> Well, booted up today and it worked! To be honest though, I consider
> this to be a bad thing; it means it'll probably do the works
> sometimes/doesn't work sometimes thing that bluez-bluefw did too.
>
> Conclusion? Don't go near USB dongles with Broadcomm chipsets. I wish I
> had a CSR.

actually with the bcm203x driver and Linux 2.6 I had the Broadcom
dongles working very stable (besides some link manager troubles also
other people have seen). This was the reason why I wrote the kernel
inside firmware loading driver. However I think that your hotplug
scripts are a little bit buggy at some points, because on my Debian Sid
box this is working very nice ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Alex Holland

Well, booted up today and it worked! To be honest though, I consider
this to be a bad thing; it means it'll probably do the works
sometimes/doesn't work sometimes thing that bluez-bluefw did too.

Conclusion? Don't go near USB dongles with Broadcomm chipsets. I wish I
had a CSR.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

Alex Holland

Here's bits of dmesg and lsmod/usb, just in case it reveals anything:

...blah...
Bluetooth: Broadcom Blutonium firmware driver ver 1.0
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver bcm203x
Bluetooth: Core ver 2.4
NET: Registered protocol family 31
Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.5
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hci_usb
...blah...
Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.1
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
...blah...
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.2
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0a5c:2001 Broadcom Corp.
rfcomm 34780 2
l2cap 21380 5 rfcomm
hci_usb 9664 6
bluetooth 43812 15 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb
bcm203x 4416 0
firmware_class 7616 1 bcm203x

by Alex Holland

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 18:52, Simone Gotti wrote:

> # DEBUG=yes export DEBUG
>
> remove the # and you'll see a lot of debug informations.

Thanks! I uncommented it, and saw nothing new on boot-up or in dmesg -
looks like it isn't getting called.

So, where to go from here? I presume the problem's with Hotplug,
somehow.

Thanks for the prompt support, everyone!

Alex Holland

by Simone Gotti

Hi,

On Monday 19 April 2004 19:22, Alex Holland wrote:
> On Monday 19 Apr 2004 17:12, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > so far so good. Everything seems to look fine, but actually the
> > bcm203x driver can't load the BCM2033-MD.hex firmware file from the
> > userspace. Add some debugging lines to firmware.agent to see if it
> > got really called by the hotplug system.
>
> I wasn't quite sure how to do this, but I tried adding this to the start
> of the firmware.agent file (after the header, before the code):
>
> echo "Now in firmware.agent"
>
> This didn't appear during the boot sequence, and doesn't appear in
> dmesg, so I assume the firmware.agent isn't being called.
>
> Any suggestions, or is this now a Hotplug problem? If it is, could you
> tell me how to phrase it as a question for the Hotplug mailing list?
>
> Alex Holland

In /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent there's a commented line like this

# DEBUG=yes export DEBUG

remove the # and you'll see a lot of debug informations.

Bye!
--
Simone Gotti
<[email protected]>

by Alex Holland

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 14:54, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> check the path for the firmware files in the firmware.agent script.
> Is the script is executable? Is /sys mounted? What are the
> permissions of your firmware files?

firmware.agent is executable. The firmware permissions are as follows:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 114688 Apr 19 12:29 BCM2033-FW.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3245 Apr 19 12:29 BCM2033-MD.hex

This should be okay, I'd imagine - no need to execute or write to them.
For the other questions, I've attached firmware.agent, but everything
looks correct to me.

> You need CONFIG_FW_LOADER, but this should be done automaticly by the
> bcm203x driver and lsmod must show you a firmware_class module.

Yup, this seems to be working; lsmod has the following:

firmware_class 7616 1 bcm203x

Thanks,

Alex Holland

Attachments:
(No filename) (863.00 B)
firmware.agent (1.10 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alex,

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 14:30, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > bcm203x_probe: Mini driver request failed
>
> that is the problematic line and it means that the request_firmware()
> call can't load the file BCM2033-MD.hex. Do you have installed the
> hotplug scripts and is the firmware.agent script present?

I have hotplug installed, and firmware.agent seems to be present
in /etc/hotplug. The Gentoo packages I'm using are as follows:

hotplug-20040401
hotplug-base 20040401

Perhaps this was someone's idea of an April Fool's joke? These seem to
be the most-recent versions avaliable in Gentoo, even in unstable.

Do I need CONFIG_FW_LOADER enabled in the Kernel? The help page states
it's only needed where no in-kernel-tree modules require hotplug
firmware loading support, so I figured it didn't apply to the Bluez
stuff. It's compiled as a module at present, but perhaps this is the
problem.

Cloney

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alex,

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 11:23, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> you can find it at http://www.bluez.org/drivers.html

Ah, thanks! Could you put that URL in the Kernel help page for the
blutonium driver? It's a bit of an enigma at present.

While it doesn't seem to oops on Gentoo anymore, neither does it seem to
actually work - hciconfig can't see any devices. I've enclosed
information which will hopefully help find out why.

Thanks.

Alex Holland

[...]

bcm203x: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver bcm203x
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hci_usb
...blah...
Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.1
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized

lsusb gives the following:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:2033 Broadcom Corp. BCM2033 Bluetooth

lsmod provides the following:

l2cap 21380 2
hci_usb 9664 0
bluetooth 43812 4 l2cap,hci_usb
bcm203x 4416 0
firmware_class 7616 1 bcm203x

kernel config:
# Bluetooth support
#
CONFIG_BT=m
CONFIG_BT_L2CAP=m
# CONFIG_BT_SCO is not set
CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM=m
CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM_TTY=y
# CONFIG_BT_BNEP is not set

#
# Bluetooth device drivers
#
CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB=m
# CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_SCO is not set
# CONFIG_BT_HCIUART is not set
CONFIG_BT_HCIBCM203X=m
# CONFIG_BT_HCIBFUSB is not set
# CONFIG_BT_HCIVHCI is not set
# CONFIG_NETPOLL is not set
# CONFIG_NET_POLL_CONTROLLER is not set

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alex,

On Sunday 18 Apr 2004 22:55, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Use the bcm203x kernel driver instead for loading the firmware into a
> Broadcom based USB dongle.

This module seems to have started working on Gentoo without oopsing, I
think with the last hotplug update. Unfortunately, I can't remember
where it expects to find the firmware, and I can't find any decent way
of searching the mailing list archives.

Would it possible to have some info on the Kernel help page saying where
the firmware can be downloaded, and where it should be put? As is, the
only way to find out seems to be to ask here.

Thanks.

Alex Holland

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Dirk,

> Compile bluez-bluefw-1.0 fails:
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/privat/bluetooth/bluez-bluefw-1.0/hotplug'
> make[1]: Entering directory `/privat/bluetooth/bluez-bluefw-1.0'
> source='bluefw.c' object='bluefw.o' libtool=no \
> depfile='.deps/bluefw.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/bluefw.TPo' \
> depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./depcomp \
> gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\"
> -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"bluez-bluefw\"
> -DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1
> -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1
> -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DBT3C_SUPPORT=1 -I.
> -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -g -O2 -c `test -f 'bluefw.c' || echo
> './'`bluefw.c
> In file included from usblib.h:30,
> from bluefw.c:39:
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:49: error: variable or field
> `__user' declared void
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:49: warning: no semicolon at end
> of struct or union
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:49: error: parse error before '*'
> token
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:56: error: variable or field
> `__user' declared void
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:56: warning: no semicolon at end
> of struct or union
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:56: error: parse error before '*'
> token
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:100: error: variable or field
> `__user' declared void
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:100: warning: no semicolon at end
> of struct or union
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:100: error: parse error before '*'
> token
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:109: error: parse error before '}'
> token
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:116: error: variable or field
> `__user' declared void
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:116: warning: no semicolon at end
> of struct or union
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h:116: error: parse error before '*'
> token
> make[1]: *** [bluefw.o] Error 1
>
> I use kernel 2.6.6-rc1-bk2 !

we include kernel headers, which is really not a good idea. This must be
fixed, but actually I don't have much time for looking into it.