2004-05-10 12:25:18

by Timothy Murphy

Subject: [Bluez-users] Can only start Bluetooth once on my Sony Picturebook

A little query which does not really matter,
but which leaves me slightly puzzled.

I'm running linux-2.6.6-rc2 under Fedora-1
on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
This has in-built Bluetooth.
To start this running, I say "spicctrl -l1"
(when the blue Bluetooth light on my laptop comes on)
followed by "service bluetooth restart".

All this works perfectly.
But if I give the command "spicctrl -l0"
to stop the inbuilt Bluetooth
I am never able to restart it,
except by re-booting.

I couldn't see from a very brief (and ignorant) look at the source
why the sonypi_ioctl() call couldn't be reversed.

Perhaps there is some command I could give
to restart Bluetooth, short of re-booting?

[IIRC, I could start and stop Bluetooth like this
in older kernels.]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> Have you done some research in hcitool cc cc dc bug?

I thought it was clear why this fails. If not, post it again with
"hcidump -x" to show what happens, but in a seperate thread. It is not
nice to ask off-topic questions in a complete independent thread.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Hi Marcel,

> you can keep every Bluetooth daemon running even if no device is
> attached. They will re-init themself if you power-up your internal
> Bluetooth device. What I think that happens is that the stopping with
> spicctrl is the same as a physical unplug and this causes a kernel oops.
> Check if you have CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_SCO enabled, if yes, disable for now
> or apply the attached patch.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Have you done some research in hcitool cc cc dc bug?

Michal

by Timothy Murphy

On Monday 10 May 2004 13:57, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > I'm running linux-2.6.6-rc2 under Fedora-1
> > on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
> > This has in-built Bluetooth.
> > To start this running, I say "spicctrl -l1"
> > (when the blue Bluetooth light on my laptop comes on)
> > followed by "service bluetooth restart".
> >
> > All this works perfectly.
> > But if I give the command "spicctrl -l0"
> > to stop the inbuilt Bluetooth
> > I am never able to restart it,
> > except by re-booting.

> Check if you have CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_SCO enabled, if yes, disable for now
> or apply the attached patch.

Thanks for the advice.
I compiled linux-2.6.6 with
# CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_SCO is not set
and now I can start and stop Bluetooth (with spicctrl) as often as I wish.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Timothy,

> A little query which does not really matter,
> but which leaves me slightly puzzled.
>
> I'm running linux-2.6.6-rc2 under Fedora-1
> on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
> This has in-built Bluetooth.
> To start this running, I say "spicctrl -l1"
> (when the blue Bluetooth light on my laptop comes on)
> followed by "service bluetooth restart".
>
> All this works perfectly.
> But if I give the command "spicctrl -l0"
> to stop the inbuilt Bluetooth
> I am never able to restart it,
> except by re-booting.
>
> I couldn't see from a very brief (and ignorant) look at the source
> why the sonypi_ioctl() call couldn't be reversed.
>
> Perhaps there is some command I could give
> to restart Bluetooth, short of re-booting?

you can keep every Bluetooth daemon running even if no device is
attached. They will re-init themself if you power-up your internal
Bluetooth device. What I think that happens is that the stopping with
spicctrl is the same as a physical unplug and this causes a kernel oops.
Check if you have CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_SCO enabled, if yes, disable for now
or apply the attached patch.

Regards

Marcel

Attachments: