2004-06-06 16:21:54

by David Mackie

Subject: [Bluez-users] Can you spoof/forge Bluetooth Devices/Address?

Hi,

Does anyone know if you are able to spoof or forge a Bluetooth Device
Address? I am wanting to pick up Bluetooth comms at one point and forward it
on to another device but I am wanting the repeating devices to act like the
original sending devices. Eg. If I have a phone that wants to communicate
with my PC, I can have 2 repeaters, one spoofed as the PC and one as the
phone.

phone <-BT-> Repeater(spoof PC) <-Not BT-> Repeater(spoof phone) <-BT-> PC

More information on why I want to do this can be found at
http://www.cs.ru.ac.za/research/students/g99m0302/masters/

Any comment of suggestions will be greatly appreciated

David

--
David Mackie
MSc Student, Department of Computer Science

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi David,

> Does anyone know if you are able to spoof or forge a Bluetooth Device
> Address? I am wanting to pick up Bluetooth comms at one point and forward it
> on to another device but I am wanting the repeating devices to act like the
> original sending devices. Eg. If I have a phone that wants to communicate
> with my PC, I can have 2 repeaters, one spoofed as the PC and one as the
> phone.
>
> phone <-BT-> Repeater(spoof PC) <-Not BT-> Repeater(spoof phone) <-BT-> PC
>
> More information on why I want to do this can be found at
> http://www.cs.ru.ac.za/research/students/g99m0302/masters/
>
> Any comment of suggestions will be greatly appreciated

I made a quick look through your documents. Spoofing of a BD_ADDR's is
not what you really want and of course it is also not possible. You
should think more of service forwarding. This means tunneling of the
complete L2CAP layer or dedicated SDP service records/RFCOMM channel
tunneling.

Regards

Marcel

by Collin R. Mulliner

Hi,

> Does anyone know if you are able to spoof or forge a Bluetooth Device
> Address? I am wanting to pick up Bluetooth comms at one point and

As far as I know you can't do this with standart (normal) bluetooth
equipment. Maybe you can do this with special bluetooth devices, check
out the CSR development information.

... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <[email protected]>