2004-06-11 18:44:11

by Simone Crippa

Subject: [Bluez-users] apple wireless keyboard

Hello list,

I bought a shiny new Apple Wireless Keyboard last week because I like to
type on a "big" keyboard using my laptop, but I "hate" tethers!!!

Before buying it I quickly looked in the net to discover that it is
indeed possible. After a deeper search for some information I discovered
that it is not a very well documented task (either Google_Groups,
Newsgroups, ...).

I found _some_ information on this list some weeks ago, but it didn't
really help me a lot. So I thought, I might contact Marcel Holtmann
directly, who seems to know quite a bit about it :-)

But since I don't want to bother him with my simple questions, I thought
maybe someone very, very kind on this list might have faced my same
problems before ... :-)

What I have:

- Apple Keyboard
- HP nx7000 laptop with built-in Bluetooth
- bluez-utils + libs 2.7 (Debian unstable)
- hidp module from mh3 patch on 2.6.6 kernel

What works so far:

- PIN authentification (othewise no info!!)

- synchronisation over Bluetooth with Palm (so, Bluetooth connection
works!)

- hcitool info <BD-keyboard> (gives out lots of funny HW info! ...
"Broadcom Corp."???)

- Palm finds Apple Keyboard (so, Bluetooth in keyboard works)

What does not work:

- hidd -s give out either:
Searching ...
Connecting to device 00:0A:95:39:67:0F
Can't create HID control channel: Host is down
or:
Connecting to device 00:0A:95:39:67:0F
Can't create HID control channel: Device or resource busy
or:
No devices in range or visible

not in that order, pick what you prefer ... which is kind of funny,
since I touch nothing on the keyboard and the output changes continuosly.

I tried to look at "hcidump -x" for some info ... but I cannot find a
clue! (btw: thanks to Marcel ... "hcidump -x" helped me for the PIN-auth
problem!!!)

Thanks for your patience, Simone

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] apple wireless keyboard

Hi Collin,

> quick answer is: the apple wireless keyboard works 100% with bluez-hidd.
>
> I had to active authentication (on the laptop side), then just wait
> until you get the bluepin popup asking for a pin, type in the pin on the
> laptop side and on the apple wireless keyboard (press enter after
> entering the pin!).

I only had to set auth once for the initial connection to the keyboard.
After that I never needed it again. It will request authentication and
set the encryption by itself on reconnect.

Regards

Marcel

by Collin R. Mulliner

Hi Simone,

quick answer is: the apple wireless keyboard works 100% with bluez-hidd.

I had to active authentication (on the laptop side), then just wait
until you get the bluepin popup asking for a pin, type in the pin on the
laptop side and on the apple wireless keyboard (press enter after
entering the pin!).

hidd runs with the --server option

... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <[email protected]>
BETAVERSiON Systems [http://www.betaversion.net]

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Simone,

> I bought a shiny new Apple Wireless Keyboard last week because I like to
> type on a "big" keyboard using my laptop, but I "hate" tethers!!!

the Apple HID devices are a little bit problematic. May someone will
write a nice howto for using them with hidp + hidd?

Regards

Marcel